User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 16 of 21 First Previous 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-19, 20:56

So having dried everything out accept the APC UPS I've been able to get most of my gear up and running. I made a deal with that contractor that if anything gets flaky within a year I'll have him cover the cost. The parts for Hildegund (and others) have been ordered and the PSU should be here on the 22nd.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-26, 13:14

I just realized I forgot to post that the server was back up this weekend.

It has been stressful needless to say. Anyway, it is up and running if you haven't tried getting on yet over the weekend.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-05-26, 15:51

You really do have our condolences on the floor. Bleh.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-27, 12:34

Today an excavator showed up outside of my house. They didn't give any warning and are about to start digging. The "plan" (if you can call it that) is to prep for transformer swap and power main to the house replace tomorrow. So digging and laying new cable in the ground today. Tomorrow remove transformer and swap to new main. We were originally quoted "a few hours" without power. Now the county is involved with Inspections and Permits and we are being told they take a day to come by and inspect.

If you try to connect and can't, I'm likely sitting in a corner of my basement with candlelight.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-27, 12:37

Prepper!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-27, 12:41

Heh. Funny enough, I do plan to add solar at some point and get a well. I will be ready!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-02, 13:06

My home's data line was cut. I am actually surprised it happened, but it did.

I have a repair order out for it to be repaired tomorrow afternoon. I'm a bit on the frustrated side with this whole situation.

I'll try to post here when it is back up.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-02, 15:10

Man, good thing I've been too busy to get on. Otherwise, I'd be mad … or something.
¡Damned!

2020-06-02, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
My home's data line was cut. I am actually surprised it happened, but it did.
Getting all that bad new-house-problems juju out of the way up front! Good thinking!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-03, 13:52

Everything should be good for you guys to connect again.

This has been one of the most obnoxious moves I've ever made in my life. All the military moves as a kid and then all the ones for myself as the active duty member included. I mean, this has just been one thing after another. I have to say though, given everything I've dealt with this is one amazing house and it is all worth it. I have a level of peace that can't be described even amidst these seriously frustrating points.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-24, 14:09

Temp world is now running MC 1.16.1. Update your clients!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-29, 16:33

Soooo.... it rained in my basement again. On my Rack. Fried the DSL modem. That just got replaced, but now I'm back to getting it working as it should by passing through the IP rather than another firewall. I'll get it worked out ASAP since it also effects services in my home outside of Minecraft.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-29, 16:53

You might want to get that fixed.

And not because of Minecraft.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-30, 07:58

You know, I would think that would be a good idea... the contractors didn't think it was pressing. It cost them ~$350 back in May when it happened. This time I'm up to about ~$450 since it killed one of my NASs (the one that hold my websites/files) and my old hackintosh Dell Mini 9.

They sealed the hole yesterday.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-01, 21:43

Server should be accessible again now. Please test when you can and let me know if it isn't for any reason.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 13:59

I'm having SegFault issues on some VMs that run on the same host as the anmc server. This means there is a chance I've got memory faults going on with the ESXi host itself. I've got to take the host down so I can run diagnostics on it to verify the memory is good or bad. This means I'm going to have to take down the MC server to accomplish that. I don't have a specific dat planned but it will likely be within the next few days.

The issues could be related to other situations as well, but I'm not thinking it is CPU/logic board related given the errors I'm seeing. I'll try to give a heads up of when I actually go to begin the work though.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-10-14, 17:03

Thanks for the heads-up, T!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-17, 16:42

In case you all didn't read in other posts that I've ordered a new server. Because if this, I'm going to hold of on making any changes in the current host for ANMC and jut what to migrate it to the new host. Once the new host is online I'll need to migrate this VM to that host. I'll let you all know when I'm looking to do that, but in the mean time, I figured I'd let you know that memory testing is going to wait until after it is decommissioned as an ESXi host.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-27, 08:10

It sure is taking forever to get here but... tracking says the new server should be here Thursday. It will take me a little bit to get it configured but I'll keep you all updated once I know and have migrated the ANMC world to it. I'm going to let y'all know when that happens, but will try to do it when no one is on.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-28, 14:18

This is an interesting moment. I'm happy and yet horribly annoyed.

I got the mini a day early! YAY!

They screwed the internal RF shield/cover down with TR6 screws. Boo. The smallest I have is TR8. Who locally sells TR6? No one that I've found yet.

Until I get the new RAM in I can't burn it in really. I'm going to go ahead and at least burn the CPU while I wait to get the RAM accessible though. Prime95 here I come!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-28, 14:45

Be very careful opening that sucker up. There are at least two cables that I know of connecting the logic board to various antennae. If you pull them out, it is a new logic board!

Seriously. Be careful.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-28, 20:39

Thanks for the tip. I'll actually watch the video first. I'm guessing those wires are for WiFi and BT though which I have no intention of using at all on this machine. Not that I want to mess up the machine in any way though!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-28, 20:49

Whoa...I had no idea it would be this involved to replace the RAM. It isn't going to be a problem for me at all... still.

So I bought a TR6 driver from Harbor Freight... but they are so cheap that it actually doesn't have a deep enough hole for the center post in the screw.

I ordered a full tool kit with driver tips for all my tinkering needs though. It won't be here until next week at the earliest.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-29, 10:51

Yeah. Apple doesn't want anyone in there. Those cables are … tricky!!

We had a customer who bought his online, then went to install his own RAM, then yanked the thing apart and tore out the WiFi cable, which damaged the logic board, which cost him $700 (it was an i7). He was trying to save fifty bucks!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-30, 13:30

So while burning in the new server I decided to switch to Folding@Home instead of Prime95. Exhaust temps have been pretty stable at about 110˚F. Since I'm stuck waiting for the TR6 to get here I figure I can help with folding while baking my machine.

Mine is also the i7, hopefully it won't be a problem for me. I've broken off the antenna connector on an old AP card from a clamshell, but I attribute that to the age of the connector and card. It was stuck solid.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-02, 13:47

RAM is in and testing is about to begin. CPU tested flawlessly.

Edit: I should add that this mini wasn't bad to take apart. The lack of much room to get the WiFi antenna disconnected sucked, but was doable. Beyond that is was fairly painless. I've opened an earlier version of one of these before so it wasn't too bad. Certainly not for those who aren't comfortable with this kinda of work though. I really wish I had thought to set up better lighting though. It was pain dealing with all the shadows from my window.

Last edited by turtle : 2020-11-02 at 14:15.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-03, 15:10

RAM testing passed flawlessly as expected. Now I'm struggling to get ESXi installed on the machine. I'll get it, it just isn't being simple because if the 10GbE I went with.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-03, 23:44

WooHoo!

However, it seems that ESXi doesn't recognize the 2TB of local storage yet.

Currently I have it configured with a NFS datastore (over the network) so I'm not sure how well it will perform. Eventually I'm sure it will be supported with the internal storage... worst case is I leave it as it. Better would be buy a TB3 external drive that appears to be supported now.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-04, 03:22

Why did you need to disconnect the antenna?

haXxX0Rz??

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-04, 12:33

You have to do that to avoid the 1.21 gigawatt zapparroo and an unexpected trip back to 1955.