AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Happy Cicadas, Noise Lovers!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Happy Cicadas, Noise Lovers!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-07, 14:40

Here they come!

I remember them when I lived in Phoenix. Buzzy little suckers.

We don't get many in Idaho, for any brood. But, those of you in the affected states, good luck sleeping!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-07, 14:48

Given we just put a ton of fruit trees and bushes in the ground I really hope they don't end up in my area. There is a chance we see them based on projections so...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-07, 17:47

We get cicadas every year, but they're the big fat green ones. The 17 year cicadas are orange and black and smaller than our normal ones. We went down to visit relatives who lived in the danger zone and those little things are mind-blowingly loud. I said a prayer of thanks as we departed from there in the afternoon. It was TRAUMATIC.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-07, 18:46

Are they actually out now? I really hope so and that I don't get them. I really don't want to lose some of these trees and bushes we just paid a butt-ton of money for.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-07, 18:47

I don't know. Read the article.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-07, 19:32

I don't think they're going to kill your bushes, are they? I mean, they're not locusts...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-07, 21:52

Yeah, they eat the leaves but the worst part is using the young plants to lay their eggs. Little branches aren't able to handle being egg hosts.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-07, 23:54

But... they lay their eggs underground?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-08, 14:12

Nope, the larva falls to the ground from the tree branches. This is an example of the stuff that is of concern. It is a random article I found but covers the basics well.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-05-13, 16:07

I tried looking them up to see if they could be expected here, but apparently the interest of the main cicada researchers ends abruptly at the Canadian border.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-13, 16:23

I'll gladly take the cicadas over this dipshit neighbor who has a dog who never stops barking.

Cicadas would help drown that puppy out a little, maybe. At least it would be something different.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, and I certainly don't want anyone's pet taken away...but damn.

Go to sleep at night, dog. Like a normal living creature. Please? Pretty please with Alpo on top?