User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

We had a solar eclipse in Europe today.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
We had a solar eclipse in Europe today.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2015-03-20, 13:15

IMG_2537 by thefurball, on Flickr

This is one of the best of my photos. In Aberdeen, we had 95% - the Faroe Islands and Svalbard got a total eclipse. I didn't really fancy the trip there though! It didn't get as dark as I expected. With 95% of the sun covered I expected almost complete darkness, but it wasn't really like that. It did get noticeably colder though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-03-20, 15:03

That is awesome! I would have loved to have seen it with my own eyes. It's just a neat thing that doesn't happen that often.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2015-03-20, 20:10

I missed it, but nice pic Turby.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-03-21, 03:19

Awesome picture, turbulent!

Here in Copenhagen it all got ruined by a thick cloud cover.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-03-21, 06:29

It was about 95% in Belfast too.

In spite of cloudy forecast we had clear patches almost all the way up to max coverage. I took a mediocre pic holding iPhone up to some eclipse glasses, but then like furby some light cloud danced in and allowed for viewing naked eye through the haze.

I'll see if I can upload some pics taken with iPhone through eclipse viewing glasses around 50% (a bit improvised), and through cloud near 95% (similar to furby's).

It did get noticeably cooler, if not darker. We watched it from the carapark of the Zoo with folks from our local Astronomy society, and were curious if any of the animals were a wee bit freaked out (birds apparently go quiet assuming it's night). 🌙

Couldn't tell if the primates stopped flinging poo and started plotting an uprising though. :/

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2015-03-21, 11:00

We had only about 70-80% here, and with bare eyes you didn't really see much.

In 1999, I lived almost exactly on the center line of a full eclipse, but we had bad weather, so it was strange to watch it live on TV while it just grew darker and darker outside. Most fascinating was the wind coming with the darkness.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Windswept
On Pacific time

2015-03-21, 18:43

My best experience of a heavenly event was the yearly August meteor shower. The peak of the shower was around 11:00 p.m. and I happened to be outside walking down a gravel road near a mountain cabin I had rented for a few weeks. I was walking through tall pines, so my view of the sky was restricted by the height of their foliage; but at one point, I was looking up (this was in the mountains at over 8,000 feet in altitude) and a meteor came flying fast and low right over me, so low that I actually had the instinct to duck! It was pretty incredible, though I realize it couldn't have been as low as it seemed.

Julius Caesar is linked in some way with this August meteor shower (is it the Perseid Meteor Shower?), so maybe he was a Leo and had a birthday in August. I'm not sure about that aspect of backstory.

Is it 2018 when North America will be able to see the next total solar eclipse? It's amazing that the pic above caught that one small opening in the dense cloud cover. The sky looks pretty dark. Was it like dusk, after the sun had set, but when it's not yet dark?