Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

A long drive...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A long drive...
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-16, 01:27

Okay fine, it wasn't that long, I'm sure all of you have your super drive stories, blah blah blah, you can share those if you'd like, This was my first solo long drive. ~7 hours, north from Thousand oaks(SoCal) to Oakland(bay area)

I drove in my 1990 Jeep Wrangler up the good ol' highway 101. I had my powerbook, my acoustic bass guitar, my iPod, my iSight, and some beef jerky.

I got my stereo jacked about 2 months ago, and never got it replaced, it was a worthless little thing anyway, so I wasn't too bothered, also, I wasn't driving as much back then so I didn't really need it anyway. The downside was, that for this whole drive north, I had NO TUNES! it was pretty lame, here I had a perfectly good 20 GB iPod 15 GB full of all my favorites, and no way to listen to it(well headphones yea..but that's dangerous)

I went up to oakland for a couple reasons, I met up with a friend of mine I hadn't seen in a long time(a girl..oooooh) I met up with an internet friend for the first time in real life, and that was pretty interesting because right off the bat we were like old friends, so that was groovy. AND I saw a Michael manring(homepage )concert , which was very fun.

The other big reason that I went up there was because I have never been on a long drive on my own, the longest I've driven on my own was about an hour and a half, or about 80 miles.

So, it was an experience, that's for sure, I enjoyed a lot of it, it was nice to be on the open road, checking out the beautiful golden state, talking to myself, and warding off the crazy.

I drove back home today, I stopped at circuit city along the way and picked up a new CD player for my car, it's an Aiwa one, fairly cheap, but it's pretty much everything I was looking for,
1) detachable faceplate
2) nice big buttons(relatively)
3) rotary volume control
4) auxiliary input for the iPod

Not bad for $109

hmm, if you've read this far, I'm sorry for wasting your time
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-16, 08:50

All sounds pretty good to me. Road trips can be memorable times, even if you're going solo. Nothing like a little road adventure.

For the record, a few years ago I put close to 6000 miles on my car in one summer. Longest single day distance during that time was central Idaho to Sioux Falls SD in about 16 hours. Other noteable "long legs" of the journey: Chicago to Atlanta, Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale, Nashville area to Denver and many "smaller" journies that took the better part of a day to get from A to B.

...into the light of a dark black night.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-08-16, 08:53

nothing beats a 10 hour road trip in silence.

yes, i am that psychotic.

depending upon your brain's proclivities after you finish thinking off all that was bothering you, you enter into a mode where your brain starts doing what it likes to do and falling asleep at the same time. my brain's apparent favorite, long division and memorizing license plate numbers/states....

Strange trips...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-16, 09:54

A few long ones come to mind: Salt Lake City to Seattle, Salt Lake City to a little town 90 min south of SanFran, Denver to Nashville (I think I saw you going the other direction, Moogs), Chapel Hill, NC to Albany, NY, Chapel Hill to Kennedy Space Center, FL... those are just the one-shot day runs.

Last summer my wife and I went from Chapel Hill to Seattle and back in three weeks, including over a week in Seattle. Considering we hit five national parks on the way out and four on the way back, I don't think that's too bad.
applenut
BANNED

2004-08-16, 10:34

I'll be embarking on my NY to Berkeley, California trip tomorrow night or wednesday morning.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-16, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenut
I'll be embarking on my NY to Berkeley, California trip tomorrow night or wednesday morning.
Who you going to fight?

I will wear head phones while I drive...well I keep it off of one ear at least. Earphones, I wear them in both ears, but I don't have it turned up loud enough that you can't hear other things.

I've actually never DRIVEN a long distance (back seat to a lot though) but will be doing that much this year visiting friends colleges. Should be interesting considering I hate having to navigate to places I've never been.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-16, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Should be interesting considering I hate having to navigate to places I've never been.
There are these amazing new inventions called *maps*...
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-08-16, 12:41

Ages ago, when I was a college boy, I drove from Newport Beach, CA to Boston, MA in 5 days. Then, after staying in Boston for about a week, I drove over to Pittsburgh, PA, where I was going to school. When the school year ended, I drove back from Pittsburgh to Newport Beach in about 4 days. And the next year, I did the return trip again from Newport Beach to Pittsburgh, for the last time. This was all in my trusty, '87 Suzuki Samurai. I pretty much had to have the thing floored the entire way. Loaded with half a dorm room full of junk, flooring a Suzuki Samurai will get you going up to about 72 MPH - as long as the road's not uphill (even a tiny bit).

Ugh.
thedustin

2004-08-16, 12:59

STAY AWAY FROM AIWA PRODUCTS! They are cheap for a reason. I have heard and experienced nothing but trouble from all aiwa products, especially CD players. I love traveling alone. Last Saturday I drove to Josuha Tree NP and back from Santa Barbara taking back roads there, freeways back home. It was a great trip for photographs. The back highways of California are great.

_thedusitn
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-16, 13:02

Aw man, there is nothing better than just getting on the road with a full tank of gas, a cold beverage in the cup holder, a good station dialed-in and a good lead foot and open road.

I live for those moments. I'm a "get in the car on Saturday for an aimless, go-nowhere drive" junkie! I LOOOOOOOVE it.

Got that way living in SoCal for a decade: beaches, mountains, desert, etc.

Now that I'm back in the South, it's different but still VERY cool in its own way. If I didn't do what I already do for a living, I'd be a hair stylist. BUT, if that didn't work out, I'd be a long-haul trucker because, being single and all, I couldn't think of a cooler way to spend your days: open road, looking down inside cars at vixens, etc.

I've even got the Red Sovine 8-tracks, so I'm practically there!

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-16, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
There are these amazing new inventions called *maps*...
I should have specified. I don't mind highway driving, it's not hard, it's when highways go through towns or cities and poorly posted signs or weird intersections come up that I hate.

I love maps, I like finding routes other than what mapquest recommends. Do it yourself, and like almost everything, it's better.

As for AIWA products. I've only ever owned two stereo's and a pair of headphones (from the AIWA before SONY), but they were good. I still use the one stereo.
applenut
BANNED

2004-08-16, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Who you going to fight?
well, i considered taking a detour down south to pay paul a visit but the gas would cost too much :P

I've done pretty far drives fairly often since I got my license a couple years ago. Mostly NY to MD. NY to Maine... NY to PA and stuff.

This will be the longest.....by quite a bit.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-16, 14:05

Ha! I forgot about that. The heat/humidity would kill you before I could, so best not.

Whew, it's hot here...
applenut
BANNED

2004-08-16, 14:23

that would probably be true. i wilt in humidity. just don't handle it well at all
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-16, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
This was all in my trusty, '87 Suzuki Samurai. I pretty much had to have the thing floored the entire way. Loaded with half a dorm room full of junk, flooring a Suzuki Samurai will get you going up to about 72 MPH - as long as the road's not uphill (even a tiny bit).

Same story with my jeep. Well, the jeeps a bit better, I can get 75 or even 80 if it's downhill. But uphill, even the small inclines, it struggles.

Apparently all the jeep wranglers after the 1990 model came with a much bigger engine, kind of sucks I got the cut-off, but, a cars a car, I'm not complaining.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-16, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustin
STAY AWAY FROM AIWA PRODUCTS! They are cheap for a reason. I have heard and experienced nothing but trouble from all aiwa products, especially CD players.
1) the jeep is cheap and old
2) it was the cheapest way to have an AUX input (actually there was one aiwa model cheaper but it wasn't in stock)
3) I'm only in california for 2 weeks, then the car goes back to my brother, should the aiwa break on him, he'll replace it, no skin off my nose.

Quote:
I love traveling alone. Last Saturday I drove to Josuha Tree NP and back from Santa Barbara taking back roads there, freeways back home. It was a great trip for photographs. The back highways of California are great.
Yea, I really like the area just north of SB, really captures why it's called "the GOLDEN state"
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-16, 15:43

I've got a trip planned with a few friends for Ohio tomorrow. We're driving to Columbus for an all day concert, than driving home...after a little nap in the car.

Should be a good time. But it's in my friend's new car, so it shouldn't be all that unpleasant. Right now I figure the drive will take about 6 hours.

Come waste your time with me
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-16, 16:18

if your going to ohio you should stop at cedar point thew place is incredible be sure to ride millenium force
stoo

2004-08-16, 16:19

My family drove to Cornwall from Edinburgh ("only" about 550 miles, but it's an easy day as we've 3 drivers). I got to drive past Birmingham and Manchester, where the roadworks never stop. Fifty miles in two and a half hours of motorway driving. Normal speed limit is 70mph.

At least we had some classic RAWK with us.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-16, 17:57

Friends and I have gone to Cedar Point every summer for the last couple years. Millennium Force is tight, and Top Thrill Dragster is pretty good it self. Coolest part of Top Thrill Dragster is when it doesn't get over the hill, you get to go again! Plus, when its been raining, and it takes off, the mist in the air hits you in the face like little needles, I guess thats because your traveling 120+ MPH. Good shtuff!

User formally known as Sh0eWax
billybobsky
BANNED

2004-08-16, 18:19

On long trips I only stop for gas, which makes driving a fuel efficient car with a large gas tank interesting...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-16, 18:27

I only hope your outlet tank is as efficient.
Hassan i Sabbah

2004-08-16, 18:39

This winter I'll be driving from the south of France to Bamako, the capital of Mali - taking the ferry from Spain to Morocco and then cutting across the western Sahara and headin' south. Should all go well (no mechanical failures / ransom videos delivered) it should take a cool three weeks.

I won't be taking my iPod since a) where the fuck am I going to charge it? and b) if I get robbed en route it will be something of a gobsausage.

gibberish
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-08-16, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
Friends and I have gone to Cedar Point every summer for the last couple years. Millennium Force is tight, and Top Thrill Dragster is pretty good it self. Coolest part of Top Thrill Dragster is when it doesn't get over the hill, you get to go again! Plus, when its been raining, and it takes off, the mist in the air hits you in the face like little needles, I guess thats because your traveling 120+ MPH. Good shtuff!
i went saturday i got on mill force bu ttd was closed
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-16, 18:40

Hassan: Dude.

You win.

Can I come?
billybobsky
BANNED

2004-08-16, 19:01

of course you can come, but can you go? (sorry to nitpick)