Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Windows XP Widget

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Windows XP Widget
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 20:40

when using dashboard today i thought to myself "how amusing would it be if the someone made a 640-480 or 800x600 Windows XP Widget for use in Dashboard when the Mactels are released"

If the new Mactels do run windows as well and people do keep a windows around to run the odd windows-only program then people also need to email the program producers to let them know that you are using the program in windows on your mactel, but that you still want them to manufacture it to run natively on OS X. if people still use it on windows without informing the company that you want it for a mac then they will count your purchase as part of the windows user userbase
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-08, 21:49

Um, why would you put that in the Dashboard? Dashboard is bloated enough as it is, I don't see why you'd want a widget for an entire OS. That's a task for a dedicated application. Maybe that dedicated application could have a widget to track its status (RAM usage, etc), but I wouldn't want to run an entire OS within the Dashboard.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-06-08, 22:08

I know! You could have a Windows XP widget, then run PearPC (or whatever Mac emulator just came out) inside of that, and then a Windows XP widget inside of that, and so on. That would be fun, at least until the computer slowed down to unuseability.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-08, 22:14

You can already do a messed-up nested emulator thing. Boot into a PPC version of Linux (Mandrake or Yellow Dog), open Mac-On-Linux (OS X layer), open Classic Mode (OS 9 layer), run an old version of Virtual PC from within Classic (Windows 98 emulator), then from within Windows 98 you emulate a 68k Mac using Basilisk II, and boot it into OS 8.1.

You probably wouldn't get this to work, though...
nassau

2005-06-09, 11:08

what would be über cool would be to have windows as a "fast user switch".
i'm guessing you can switch pretty fast today, using expose tho.....
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-06-10, 01:17

well i posted this more because it would be amusing to see windows simply as simply you can F12 into just to use for something quick then get back to your real work....

i.e. reduce Windows to being of the same importance as a calculator or world clock
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-10, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Um, why would you put that in the Dashboard? Dashboard is bloated enough as it is, I don't see why you'd want a widget for an entire OS. That's a task for a dedicated application. Maybe that dedicated application could have a widget to track its status (RAM usage, etc), but I wouldn't want to run an entire OS within the Dashboard.

yeah, i thought that was silly too... why would you run an os from a widget... i only use the timer, hula girl, and iTunes cont.
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-10, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau
what would be über cool would be to have windows as a "fast user switch".
i'm guessing you can switch pretty fast today, using expose tho.....

sorry, i just saw this... that would be the sHiZit.. fast user switching is sOOOO dope
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-06-10, 08:46

I would be the fattest widget ever