Unpleasent things to discover
Special talents
Watcha listening to
Where do you live
I had a free breakfast
How international is Applenova
Mac 3 Blades
etc etc

dang, you don't know how much more i like this AO than the other AO....

perhaps they might end up changing the name of the pscates and thegelding modification

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-06, 15:22

How WEIRD...you have no idea how close I came to posting this exact same thing!!!

I took a quick spin by .com's AppleOutsider and was totally stunned at the unpleasant, snippy vibe.. Then, over here, we're talking about soda, bodily functions, food, where each other is from, etc.

I don't want to get in trouble here, but I think the complete absence of about 6-8 notorious bomb-throwers, shit-stirrers and rabble-rousers at this forum has EVERYTHING to do with that too. Sorry, but that's just true.

Just an overall friendlier, more adult vibe here. Even the political/cultural discussions dn't get anything near approaching nasty...and that's WITHOUT any "forum guidelines" or stickies from mods telling people how to act.

I think that speaks volumes, frankly.
Spart

2004-07-06, 15:39

Yeah, these forums lack the one thing I utterly hate — under the category of posting content, not a**hole management —about AppleInsider.com : stupid political threads trashing up AO.

I hope there is an unwritten policy where people who start political trolling threads get banned for life...with an email message to take their crap to AI.com.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-06, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spart
I hope there is an unwritten policy where people who start political trolling threads get banned for life...with an email message to take their crap to AI.com.
Oh yeah. I wouldn't go so far as to say that all political discussion is/should be banned, but we don't want troll fests and flame wars. A lot of political discussion can easily lead to this crap, so it's probably better not to post it, but it's not the end of the world if you do. Just don't be surprised if it meets an untimely end .
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-06, 16:18

We won't be fucking around with AO this time 'round. The way AO is here is exactly how I remember AO when I first came to AppleInsider. We'll do our best to keep it that way.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-07-06, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
We won't be fucking around with AO this time 'round. The way AO is here is exactly how I remember AO when I first came to AppleInsider. We'll do our best to keep it that way.
Um, does that mean I shouldn't post a topic about John Edwards being named the Democratic VP nominee?

There is nothing inherently wrong with political discussions. The problem arises when you have a bunch of uninformed, uneducated, talking points regurgitation machines talking at each other and not with one another. Reasonable adults can have reasonable discussions about politics and the nation without devolving into partisan bobble heads.

Well, I guess I gauge reaction and see if it's ok to post the VP topic.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Spart

2004-07-06, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Um, does that mean I shouldn't post a topic about John Edwards being named the Democratic VP nominee?
Not if you don't want banninated.

:smokey:

Seriously though, we should maybe have one political thread a month. None of the crap over at AI.com, more like major scandals, oh look a new president/governor/major supreme court whatever. But please, don't start a thread every time you hear something disagreeable from the mouth of Dick Cheney. Don't start threads cause you know certain people will be offended/agitated/whatever.

If anything, political threads here should be funny, not angry.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-07-06, 16:41

We'll instate the John Stuart/Daily Show clause. If you wouldn't see it on the Daily Show, don't post it.

seriously, i hate religious and political trolls. expect them to be shot on sight. (although there's room for real discussion)
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2004-07-06, 17:32

Ah stop picking on them you lousy bastards. Sure they're a bit fucked up at the moment but your web site didn't just get the guts kicked out of it.

Actually, I'm really just posting this so I can see how my new sig looks.

But if I manage to get DMBand to rant at me again, it'll be an unexpected bonus.
BRussell

2004-07-06, 19:58

That's exactly why, although I check here probably every day, I don't post much. How many poo threads were there here at one time? It just can't get my interest. If they're non-political/non-social-issue but actually engaging topics, that would be different.

But most of you are probably glad I don't post here much, so we're all happy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-06, 20:10

I, too, am kinda disturbed by the sheer number and strength of poo-related threads here.

Nah, BRussell...join in all you want. I just don't think this place naturally has a political/social issue vibe to it. Probably no plan, just kinda went that way? Just doesn't seem to be that whole "bash the other side, 24/7" group here at all. Maybe just a bunch of people content to not having to air (and defend) their beliefs daily? I know where most people stand, they know where I do too...but we choose to talk about Macs and poo instead.

What few of those threads that have been here have been small, focused and pretty casual and lacking the baiting, smart-ass venom that permeates the other one.

If anything, it seems more lighthearted and funny (and much less crabby) than the other one, AO and otherwise.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-06, 22:57

The difference between AIAO and ANAO is pretty obvious when you look at the number of responses threads that are pure flame bait get over at AI. That kind of crud would die a quick death here. I guess a lot of poster at AIAO have the same mentality as the poster in the Ars Battlefront. They just want to argue. Blah.

I heart the new AO.
Spart

2004-07-07, 00:28

This thread got me thinking...would it be appropriate to change the name of AppleOutsider?

It is a community sort of thing, AO has always been AO, but the name AppleOutsider has always been a spin on the name AppleInsider. Maybe it's time for something new? After all...if the new AO isn't going to be like the old AO, maybe it's deserving of a new title.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-07, 00:50

^ fair point. Should we start up another thread to contribute a new name for that forum? After all, the other forums got renamed and they ain't too bad.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-07-07 at 06:47.
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-07-07, 01:28

Yeah Im pretty surprised at how AO is doing. That really does say volumes about the AppleNova community and makes me glad that I was part of the change over.

The clean and fun AO alone makes it worth it.

Its good to see this community thriving and growing as its own entity as-well ala ThinkSecret.

Personally I think Ast3r3x's thread on Cocaine is a perfect example of a more adult discussion going on here. Anyone who was once a kid should know if a kid wants to try something, namely a drug, he will do it and trust me, they all have access to it. I applaud everyone for carrying on with an adult discussion and giving real advice on the matter.

That should really encourage people to come out and post when they need help on one of life's typical journeys like this.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
Jonas

2004-07-07, 04:54

personally... I like some debate. I think AO should have some.

If they can be had at a higher level than "yo' mama", everything would be swell...
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-07-07, 05:41

I too like debate.

There is a limit to my tolerance of discussion of the minutiæ of Cheney's suckiness, however. The silliness over here is an extremely refreshing break from AO over there, but I don't think there needs to be any ban (other than self-imposed restraint) on political threads... so long as they're not frivolous or essentially dupes (like many over at dot com).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-07, 09:03

Guys, I don’t think anyone here is opposed to “debate”. While it probably isn’t as politics-centric as .com, you’re not going to get banned or beaten up if you start a non-baiting, mature thread about something. I just don’t think it’s that big a thing here, otherwise there would be more threads about it, right? No outright "ban" that I'm aware of...

I think most everyone was just fed up with the vibe/tone at .com’s AO. A few people set the tone and, IMO, kinda screwed the joint up, turning everything into a bicker-fest, point-by-point rebuttal, etc. Some people are just born to argue and quibble and throw bricks, or feel the need to point out what’s been brought up 100 times already, or defend their positions when nobody asked...BOTH sides of the spectrum.

I don’t get that sense here at all. I can only recall a few threads even like that (political or whatever), and they never even got heated. Just people talking like normal people, with no spite or venom. I know where many here lean, and most know where I do. Doesn't really factor in, it seems.

.com = Crossfire (that ain’t a compliment, either)

.org = chit chat amongst buddies who who probably believe there’s more to life than Halliburton, Monica’s stained dress, WMDs and Dubya's word-mangling.

That's how it seems to me, anyway.

Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-07, 14:14

I kinda like the "vintage" sound of the AppleOutsider name... I think we should keep the name as homage to what the "old" forum SHOULD look like... (so we don't NEED places like the TRC, at least for run-off from AO anyway)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)