AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Two Zeldas, two Marios, and something called X: Nintendo goes all out for Wii U

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Two Zeldas, two Marios, and something called X: Nintendo goes all out for Wii U
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2013-01-23, 17:36

Saleswise, the Wii U had a solid (though not quite Wii-level) debut in Japan and North America (its performance in Europe was...less good). But after the holidays, early signs are indicating that sales have dropped precipitously, and with Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and Game & Wario all delayed out of the Wii U's "launch window," the only game Wii U game Nintendo is publishing this quarter is Lego City Undercover, in March. It's a slow time of year for games in general (at least until March, when a bunch of companies rush out releases to beat the end of the fiscal year), but with sales slowing, not a whole lot on the horizon, and Xbox 3 and PS4 coming into focus and dominating industry buzz, Nintendo had to act.

Fortunately, they did. They held one of their "Nintendo Direct" live-streaming events today, and they made the sort of rush of announcements that are normally reserved for expo keynotes. They even announced announcements of things, at expo keynotes months from now. They really want to sell Wii Us.

Here's what they announced, arranged in a rough order going further into the future. All their previously announced but unreleased games are due by the end of June, so these are things we might see from Q3 on.

Yoshi (tentative title) — a new Yoshi game was heavily rumored for Wii U ever since someone figured out how to access a debug menu in Miiverse, where they saw mentions of an unannounced game called Yoshi Land. Then, Best Buy Canada/Futureshop put up listings for a game called Yoshi Land. So, here it is. Like previous Yoshi games, it's a side-scroller, but this time the graphics are all in 3D, and it continues the needle-and-thread "crafty" look of Yoshi's Story and Kirby's Epic Yarn. (I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was developed by Good-Feel, Yarn's developer. They have no announced projects, the timing is right, and it really does look like a spiritual successor to Yarn.) This I think we'll see in Q3.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD has always seemed like an obvious move for Nintendo, and they're making it. I think it really should have been a launch title, actually (it was the game's tenth anniversary and everything!), but that's another discussion. Wind Waker's graphics actually hold up surprisingly well, due to the art style, so it looks to avoid the weird "some things are sharp, some things are blurry" look of many HD rereleases. And Wind Waker actually has a feature that makes it an especially obvious to receive the Wii U treatment — remember the Tingle Tuner, that item that worked by giving you a second screen when you plugged in a Game Boy Advance? Well, guess which console has a second screen out of the box. Nintendo announced this for "fall;" I think it'll be Nintendo's September game.

That leaves 3D Mario and Mario Kart. Nintendo didn't really announce these games, just announced that they'd be unveiling them in full at E3 in June, where they'll be playable. Nintendo doesn't typically unveil games unless they're releasing that year, so that all eyes are on them that holiday season (which is one reason why Wii U needed game announcements so badly). This suggests that this holiday, Nintendo looks to be giving the Wii U the 3D Mario-Mario Kart one-two punch that marked where 3DS sales started rising to heaven in 2011. They'll need to bring out the big guns, too, if Sony and Microsoft are both shipping their new consoles this holiday.

Nintendo also confirmed that Bayonetta 2 would also be at E3. Given that title's seemingly advanced state of completion (it was in development for the PS3 and Xbox for a while before Platinum's publisher dropped it, and Nintendo picked it up) I think we'll also see that this year.

That leaves stuff that's coming next year and beyond.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U will also be at E3, but I have my doubts that it will come out this year. It's certainly a priority for Nintendo — it was pretty much the first game Nintendo announced for the Wii U, and they know it's a big draw for their fanbase — so maybe they'll try to rush it out, who knows.

This isn't big news for most people in "the West," but it's pretty big for Japan: Nintendo announced that they were collaborating with Atlus to make a Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover. (People who know what those two series are are currently having an OMGWTFYES reaction around the world.) They announced absolutely nothing about the game besides that it's a Wii U game, so it's coming next year at the earliest.

The biggest surprise of the event was a trailer for Xenoblade developer Monolith Soft's Wii U game, which seems to be a Xenoblade spiritual successor called X. Xenoblade is widely considered (by those who played it, anyway) to be one of the best games for the Wii, and the sort-of-sequel doesn't disappoint: it looks awesome, and maybe a little Monster Hunter-inspired. A common sentiment is that Monolith Soft looks to be making exactly what Square Enix has been trying to make with Final Fantasy Versus for seven years — a massive, gorgeous open world JRPG — and, at this rate, will likely beat them to release. This looks to be one of the Wii U's big guns for 2013; it's certainly not going to be GameStop-exclusive (like Xenoblade was in North America) this time.

Iwata also talked about the next console Zelda game. While many loved Skyward Sword, its sales were disappointing, and many feel the typical Zelda formula could use some freshening up. Iwata said that the new game's development mission was to "rethink the conventions of Zelda," and that they wanted to make the world feel more open and nonlinear, saying that something they wanted to change was having to visit all the dungeons in a set order. He also used that you played by yourself as an example of a convention they wanted to rethink, hinting that maybe we can expect multiplayer of some sort. It's a ways off, though — holiday 2014 at the absolute earliest, and 2015 is more likely.

Unusually, almost nobody on the interwebs seems to be nerd raging at the event not living up to the hype. The consensus seems to be that Nintendo really did deliver, and Wii U owners are feeling more confident in their purchases. I mean, in reality, it's not like the Wii U getting a 3D Mario and a Mario Kart and a Zelda were ever in question. But I guess acknowledging that those games were in fact coming did a lot to satisfy the fanbase's desire for announcements.

Does anyone here have a Wii U? If not, what sort of games are you waiting for before jumping in?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-01-23, 18:00

I'm not waiting for certain games to jump in - I'm waiting for the available money. Though Wind Waker HD will be an incentive. And a SMT/FE crossover? NEED. X sounds like a needed change to the JRPG genre as it recently has been. Tales has a very similar system from game to game, and it'd be nice to have something a little more open than that. I would murder for something like Final Fantasy XII, but more expansive.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2013-01-23, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I would murder for something like Final Fantasy XII, but more expansive.
I'm secretly hoping Square Enix has been secretly having Itou work on Final Fantasy XV for years now.

He's the reason every third FF (FFVI, FFIX, FFXII) is awesome. The cycle must continue!

It's pretty crazy to think that even in this longer-than-usual console generation, we might only see two numbered FFs instead of the typical three (though I suppose they could just give Versus a number, if that ever comes out). Crystal Tools and FFXIV 1.0 really fucked Square up. I hear they have like 800 people working on righting that ship with A Realm Reborn, it's just crazy.
Wrao
Yarp

2013-01-24, 15:46

I had no intention of getting a Wii U until the Xenoblade sequel(or spiritual successor) was announced. I say that as someone who barely 'games' anymore and whose interest in the entire activity has waned every year. Xenoblade Chronicles was *that good* though.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2013-01-24, 16:00

holy shit. i was looking up Xenoblade, figuing I have a Wii and it's really old now, so I should be able to pick it up cheap.

NOPE.

Cheapest I can find is $90 used. This really must have been a good game.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-01-24, 16:47

I want to get one eventually but I'm waiting on some better titles, mainly Zelda. I'm also waiting for a native Virtual Console. It hasn't happened yet has it?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2013-01-24, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I want to get one eventually but I'm waiting on some better titles, mainly Zelda. I'm also waiting for a native Virtual Console. It hasn't happened yet has it?
That was another thing they announced. Virtual Console is coming to the Wii U in April, although a small trickle of "preview" titles will be available ahead of time at a reduced price. Balloon Fight is available now.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2013-01-24, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
No it's not. They're releasing some virtual console games due to do Famicon 30th anniversary. One game a month for 0,30$. Virtual console is stated for a "after spring" release... which is quite vague.

Here's the games :
  • January – Balloon Fight (NES)
  • February – F-Zero (SNES)
  • March – Punch Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (NES)
  • April – Kirby’s Adventure (NES)
  • May – Super Metroid (SNES)
  • June – Yoshi / Mario & Yoshi (NES)
  • July – Donkey Kong (NES)

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2013-01-24, 17:53

What a team we make Robo...
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-01-24, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I'm secretly hoping Square Enix has been secretly having Itou work on Final Fantasy XV for years now.

He's the reason every third FF (FFVI, FFIX, FFXII) is awesome. The cycle must continue!

It's pretty crazy to think that even in this longer-than-usual console generation, we might only see two numbered FFs instead of the typical three (though I suppose they could just give Versus a number, if that ever comes out). Crystal Tools and FFXIV 1.0 really fucked Square up. I hear they have like 800 people working on righting that ship with A Realm Reborn, it's just crazy.
Oh FSM, I hope Itou has been in on it. I've been getting into my yearly playthrough of IX. Another file on XII will follow, but I can't play it normally anymore (I was in the group on GameFAQS that cracked the RNG - one can completely control level-up stats, chests, steals, etc, by monitoring how much Cure is healing). I'll probably do another challenge file of some type. DCHLB is always a blast with Balt and Fran.

Squeenix managed to fuck things over with XIII and XIII-2, too. Both were major disappointments. Not XIV-level disappointments, but disappointments to the fans of the non-MMOs.

Wrao
Yarp

2013-01-24, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
holy shit. i was looking up Xenoblade, figuing I have a Wii and it's really old now, so I should be able to pick it up cheap.

NOPE.

Cheapest I can find is $90 used. This really must have been a good game.
I mean, ultimately, if you're at all into the JRPG style, it is pretty much the best JRPG ever made, but if that style of game doesn't appeal to you at all or you hate it, it's unlikely you'd suddenly fall in love with it from playing Xenoblade. But yeah, it was a pretty limited release from what I understand, and since everyone who played it loved it, just about(and since the game is dauntingly huge for completionists) it might be a while(if ever) before you can find it used for cheap. But call around at gamestops, I think the release was gamestop exclusive, and their inventories are linked. A friend of mine had to drive three towns over to get basically the last copy in the state with the help of a Gamestop employee.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-01-27, 18:23

Quote:
Yoshi (tentative title) — a new Yoshi game was heavily rumored for Wii U ever since someone figured out how to access a debug menu in Miiverse, where they saw mentions of an unannounced game called Yoshi Land. Then, Best Buy Canada/Futureshop put up listings for a game called Yoshi Land. So, here it is. Like previous Yoshi games, it's a side-scroller, but this time the graphics are all in 3D, and it continues the needle-and-thread "crafty" look of Yoshi's Story and Kirby's Epic Yarn. (I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was developed by Good-Feel, Yarn's developer. They have no announced projects, the timing is right, and it really does look like a spiritual successor to Yarn.) This I think we'll see in Q3.
Although the first previews look a bit too much like Kirby's Epic Yarn, as if they just dropped a Yoshi model into some existing Yarn levels, both members of the Smith household loved Epic Yarn and played it to completion. So, I'm optimistic about this one!

Quote:
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD has always seemed like an obvious move for Nintendo, and they're making it. I think it really should have been a launch title, actually (it was the game's tenth anniversary and everything!), but that's another discussion. Wind Waker's graphics actually hold up surprisingly well, due to the art style, so it looks to avoid the weird "some things are sharp, some things are blurry" look of many HD rereleases. And Wind Waker actually has a feature that makes it an especially obvious to receive the Wii U treatment — remember the Tingle Tuner, that item that worked by giving you a second screen when you plugged in a Game Boy Advance? Well, guess which console has a second screen out of the box. Nintendo announced this for "fall;" I think it'll be Nintendo's September game.
I never played Wind Waker on the GameCube. Shocking, I know. I was in college when the GameCube was released, and I never got one. My involvement with video games, especially "hard core" games that required insignificant chunks of time, took a nose dive in those years and never really recovered (for better or worse… probably better). I only first played Wind Waker about a year or two ago when I got my hands on the ISO and downloaded the Dolphin emulator after seeing a NeoGAF thread with mind-blowing high-res images. Boy oh boy… I couldn't believe that I missed out on this adventure.

But about this HD remake: I'm also optimistic! If my Dolphin experience means anything as a baseline, the game is going to look gorgeous. The feel and gameplay are already solid. Not a whole lot needs to be done to relaunch this game.

Quote:
That leaves 3D Mario and Mario Kart. Nintendo didn't really announce these games, just announced that they'd be unveiling them in full at E3 in June, where they'll be playable. Nintendo doesn't typically unveil games unless they're releasing that year, so that all eyes are on them that holiday season (which is one reason why Wii U needed game announcements so badly). This suggests that this holiday, Nintendo looks to be giving the Wii U the 3D Mario-Mario Kart one-two punch that marked where 3DS sales started rising to heaven in 2011. They'll need to bring out the big guns, too, if Sony and Microsoft are both shipping their new consoles this holiday.
My feelings are lukewarm on these. The last couple of Mario Kart games have been fun overall, but the ridiculous imbalance of the items really puts a damper on the gameplay. Obviously, I'm looking squarely at Blue Shell. The Mario platformers are always good, but I haven't felt particularly excited about them since the first Galaxy. I'm sure if I own a Wii U this time next year, I'd probably get these two anyway.

Quote:
Nintendo also confirmed that Bayonetta 2 would also be at E3. Given that title's seemingly advanced state of completion (it was in development for the PS3 and Xbox for a while before Platinum's publisher dropped it, and Nintendo picked it up) I think we'll also see that this year.
Couldn't care less. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise?

Quote:
Super Smash Bros. Wii U will also be at E3, but I have my doubts that it will come out this year. It's certainly a priority for Nintendo — it was pretty much the first game Nintendo announced for the Wii U, and they know it's a big draw for their fanbase — so maybe they'll try to rush it out, who knows.
Like the other Mario games, I think it's hard to go wrong with this formula. Brawl's single-player adventure storyline mode was a great addition IMO that both made the bizarre smattering of characters actually feel like they could share a common universe and added enjoyment to that game when you don't have other humans around. I really hope the new game builds on that.

Quote:
This isn't big news for most people in "the West," but it's pretty big for Japan: Nintendo announced that they were collaborating with Atlus to make a Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem crossover. (People who know what those two series are are currently having an OMGWTFYES reaction around the world.) They announced absolutely nothing about the game besides that it's a Wii U game, so it's coming next year at the earliest.

The biggest surprise of the event was a trailer for Xenoblade developer Monolith Soft's Wii U game, which seems to be a Xenoblade spiritual successor called X. Xenoblade is widely considered (by those who played it, anyway) to be one of the best games for the Wii, and the sort-of-sequel doesn't disappoint: it looks awesome, and maybe a little Monster Hunter-inspired. A common sentiment is that Monolith Soft looks to be making exactly what Square Enix has been trying to make with Final Fantasy Versus for seven years — a massive, gorgeous open world JRPG — and, at this rate, will likely beat them to release. This looks to be one of the Wii U's big guns for 2013; it's certainly not going to be GameStop-exclusive (like Xenoblade was in North America) this time.
These are a few more franchises I never got into, but when I read about fanboys coming to orgasm from the latest news about them, at least I'm intrigued. Where can I get some primers?

Quote:
Iwata also talked about the next console Zelda game. While many loved Skyward Sword, its sales were disappointing, and many feel the typical Zelda formula could use some freshening up. Iwata said that the new game's development mission was to "rethink the conventions of Zelda," and that they wanted to make the world feel more open and nonlinear, saying that something they wanted to change was having to visit all the dungeons in a set order. He also used that you played by yourself as an example of a convention they wanted to rethink, hinting that maybe we can expect multiplayer of some sort. It's a ways off, though — holiday 2014 at the absolute earliest, and 2015 is more likely.
This is the announcement that has me most excited. Looking back, I haven't played Skyward Sword a second time after beating it. No hero mode, and I never even finished the trials to get the Hylian shield. Honestly, it's a good game, it has great sounds and visuals, and its level design is fantastic for a linear dungeon crawl, but some aspects of the game are annoying as hell (reiterating item descriptions, everything that Fi ever did or said, occasional unpredictability of the motion-plus controls) and the world never felt cohesive.

That Nintendo is considering pulling back from the linear nature of the recent Zelda formula is huge, IMO. Maybe this is just Old Man Smithy looking back on his childhood with rose-tinted glasses, but I feel like a major factor in the enjoyment and popularity of the first several Zelda games was that the worlds really were (mostly) open environments and you could explore and (sometimes) take on the challenges in different orders. I know that this added many many hours of replay value to the old games for me.

Please oh please oh please let's have more of that.

As for the hint at a multiplayer aspect? No idea. I wonder where they'd even start with that. The whole series is predicated more than anything else on the quiet hero out to save the world all alone (ignoring the chatty NPC tagalongs like Fi and Navi).

Quote:
Does anyone here have a Wii U? If not, what sort of games are you waiting for before jumping in?
I haven't bought a Wii U yet because I haven't seen anything that really excites me. From this announcement alone, I see several potential titles that are seriously piquing my interest. Assuming Nintendo doesn't drop the ball, I'll probably have a Wii U a year from now. Almost all of my Wii catalog is populated by first-party titles. Nintendo knows how to make some damn good games. I really do hope that over the next year, though, we'll also see some quality third-party titles that aren't just ports of old Xbox/Playstation hits.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2013-01-28, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This is the announcement that has me most excited. Looking back, I haven't played Skyward Sword a second time after beating it. No hero mode, and I never even finished the trials to get the Hylian shield. Honestly, it's a good game, it has great sounds and visuals, and its level design is fantastic for a linear dungeon crawl, but some aspects of the game are annoying as hell (reiterating item descriptions, everything that Fi ever did or said, occasional unpredictability of the motion-plus controls) and the world never felt cohesive.

That Nintendo is considering pulling back from the linear nature of the recent Zelda formula is huge, IMO. Maybe this is just Old Man Smithy looking back on his childhood with rose-tinted glasses, but I feel like a major factor in the enjoyment and popularity of the first several Zelda games was that the worlds really were (mostly) open environments and you could explore and (sometimes) take on the challenges in different orders. I know that this added many many hours of replay value to the old games for me.

Please oh please oh please let's have more of that.

As for the hint at a multiplayer aspect? No idea. I wonder where they'd even start with that. The whole series is predicated more than anything else on the quiet hero out to save the world all alone (ignoring the chatty NPC tagalongs like Fi and Navi).
While I did a lot more with SS than most Zelda fans I know (I've gone through Hero Mode a few times, getting the Hylian Shield each time), the linearity of it and everything you said about Fi is absolutely true. If there is one thing I really miss in Zelda, it's the exploration available from LA, LttP, etc. I'm always the type that does whatever I can as early as possible as a challenge. Want to know my preferred order to beat OoT? Deku, Well, Spirit Temple (Young Link), Dodongo's, Jabu Jabu, Forest, Spirit, Fire (to the Hammer), Water, Shadow, Gerudo Training Grounds, Fire. Just so I can have Ice Arrows to fire at Volvagia. Doesn't do any extra damage. Just want to BECAUSE. I always loved seeing what sorts of trick jumps I could pull in LA to get certain places early, too. If this is the type of thing coming, I will be SO HAPPY.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2013-01-28, 02:39

I wonder if the multiplayer mention is pointing in the direction of a "New Legend of Zelda," kind of like the New Super Mario Bros. series. Or like the Four Swords games, bulked up into a "real" Zelda. Nintendo isn't stupid, they see how the NSMB games hugely outsell their 3D counterparts, both because their 2D gameplay is more accessible and because they are multiplayer. I could see Nintendo trying to repeat that success with a top-down, multiplayer "classic" Zelda.

I kind of hope that any "New Legend of Zelda" would be the 3DS's Zelda, though, and that we'll see a gorgeous 3D Zelda on the Wii U, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-01-28, 02:57

Could somebody point to a definitive video of the newest Mario?

I don't have the money to get a new Nintendo, but am feeling left out of the progression of my favorite platform

The last Zelda I had was the one with the horse, whichever one that was.

I can't remember how far I got in it, but I don't think that I beat it... I'm such a terrible video game player, short attention span and fear of level bosses.

Just like in MC, I run away.

I guess it would be pretty funny to watch me.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-03-23, 15:00

I'm thinking about picking up a Wii U this weekend with a couple games. Any recommendations?

Right now I'm leaning towards the new Super Mario, ZombiU, and Batman: AC.

Last edited by Yontsey : 2013-03-23 at 15:17.