User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Acquisition, xFactor question.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Acquisition, xFactor question.
RC23

2005-03-12, 14:13

I just got my powerbook (loving it!) i'm looking into some p2p sharing programes.

do they have spyware? I know on my PC im constantly on the watch for any spyware that might be bundled with p2p programes... do they have spyware for mac? or atleast with those programes?

last thing i want is some spyware eating up memory on my pb.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-12, 15:59

Nope. LimeWire is the only p2p application that ever installed spyware and if I recall correctly it has since been removed.

This is pretty much a non-issue for Mac users. Spyware is practically nonexistent on Mac OS X. There are maybe two or three titles with junk like that (compared to the hundreds... thousands? for Windows).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-12, 16:52

Oh, there's something else to keep in mind.

The Xfactor and Acquisition developers are people of low moral fiber. They violate the GPL agreement and steal from the open source projects. The Xfactor developer stole from the Poisoned project in particular.

See here for details:
http://www.macupdate.com/unethical.php
and here:
http://www.acqlite.org/

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-03-12, 17:54

Dave Watanabe is a particular favourite of a certain junkie hangout.
RC23

2005-03-13, 05:29

heh, well. I know for Kaaza and even Klite have spyware for pc, aswell as well.. just about every o ther p2p on windows.

im not seeing any stray processes from either progs in osx, good sign