AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

What would you like in the iMac G5's?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What would you like in the iMac G5's?
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-23, 18:01

I would like to see the return of the slot load in the imacs. I am not in favor of headless imacs. I think apple will stick with the arm display design with a different designed base. I think the speeds of the G5 imacs will be the same speed today of the current Powermac G5's. I would like to see a dual imac. What would you guys and gals like to see in the imac G5?

giggity
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-23, 20:13

I'm not quite so sure about a dual iMac - I think the distinction of being a dual machine sits well with the Power/Pro line alone.

However, I do agree about the arm... I would be surprised if Apple ditched it b/c I think it is a key element about the design that just screams cool and thoughtfully produced. I also agree about slot loading... it just looks cooler than a tray, although I realise at least a tray can hold those mini CDs!

As for a headless Mac - I would actually like to see one, but I don't think it should take over the iMac's position in the product line-up.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-23, 20:37

iMac will not go dual, ever. It's a consumer machine. Anyone who needs two processors to surf the internet, check their mail, and send IMs is using the wrong software
Seriously though, iMacs will always be single processor. The arm thing, who knows, it may stay, it may go. But it's a great look for that machine, I like it a lot personally.
I would like to see a G5 in there, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 or a .6, .8, 2.0 single line would be great. Slot load or tray load...eh, don't matter much to me. But I think slot load is just another cool feature that will find its way back into the iMac.

Come waste your time with me
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-05-23, 20:46

An iMac doesn't need a G5. A G4 is fine for what it is meant to do. Some photo retouching, iTunes, and Garageband, with some iMovie thrown in. I do all this and more on a 450Mhz G4 with reasonable speed. Consumers simply do not need a G5. Or the price that goes alone with it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-23, 21:51

I know a G5 isn't needed. However, we all know how the average joe computer user is, they see that there is something faster and they won't buy something slower, mostly cause they don't understand what they do need.

Quagmire
meh

2004-05-23, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I know a G5 isn't needed. However, we all know how the average joe computer user is, they see that there is something faster and they won't buy something slower, mostly cause they don't understand what they do need.
I knew that I didn't need the powerbook. I was going to use the computer for email iming and surfing the web. The ibook would have done that perfectly. What made choose the powerbook is that the 14 inch 1 Ghz ibook was $100 less, the screen resolution was the same, the ibook was having its logic board problems, I didn't like the plastic fell on the ibook, the powerbooks aluminum was a cooler design, and if I wanted it I could have gotton a superdrive( Before rev c).

giggity
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-24, 01:38

I think the iMac G5 should be colour interchangeable. As in, you can style your iMac, in any colour you like, or pattern, or whatever. Let the user express them self. And re-express them self whenever they please, by popping off the colour plate and snapping a new one on.

Another thing would be, 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I mean, with a 20" wide screen I would want to watch movies and other multimedia files so I would like the option to expand my sound system past the standard "pro" speakers. Optical out would be nice.

Oh and while I'm at it...

Who is Apple trying to kid with mirror only mode for it's video out? Common man... most if not all "consumer" PCs today can do it.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-05-24, 01:49

There is a strong difference between what I would want ot see in the iMac and what would end up in the iMac.

My dream iMac:

Basically the Cube with dual 1.6GHz G5 processors.
BTO top of the line video card.
2 - 4 RAM slots.
80GB HD. with room for another.
Superdrive.

Something along those lines. The way I multitask I would never getting another single processor machine again.

Scrollin so smooth like the butter on the muffins.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.

Last edited by SilentEchoes : 2004-05-24 at 01:50. Reason: Wording
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 09:13

I don't care whether it is headless or not I just want a iMac with a G5. I'm running a 4 year old Sage iMac and it starting to get long in the tooth.

And I know I don't need a G5 but I'll be using it for another four years so a G4 just doesn't appeal to me.

Actually a headless would be cool so long as you were able to buy a bundle that came with a monitor (like the LC series). I love the case for my old LC 630.

So there it is. I want the next iMac to be a headless G5 in the style of the LC 630. Bundled with a 17 inch LCD. For about $1500 Canadian.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 09:18

The way you multitask says to me, "I need a pro machine." Even if you don't use huge ram hungry apps (Photoshop, FCP/E, DVD studio Pro...ect) if you use a lot of smaller apps that are ram and processor intensive, get a pro machine. Leave the iMacs for the people that don't need a dualie.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
iMac = Consumer machine (single processor, limited expandability, middle of the road video card...)
PM = Pro (dual processors, big expandability which Apple seriously needs some work on, top of the line video card...)

Don't make that iMac into something it's not

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-24, 09:44

Problem is, DMB: Where is the middle of the road? If I require more than today's iMac, but less than today's G5, what should I be asking for? Maybe a souped-up, headless iMac... hence some of the suggestions here.

I'm not too sure about the distinction between "consumer" and "pro". Many (many) "consumer" computer users want to play games on their PC/Mac. Forgetting the arguments for and against consoles etc, this means that "consumers" want to run *the most taxing software ever devised for a computer* on whatever machine that they buy.

If 80% of the time I will use my computer to do things that won't nudge a G4 over half processor power and 90% of the applications I own would work on a G3, but the most fun I can have on my computer requires the latest graphics cards, honking processors and a multi-GB RAM machine, what should I do?

bouncy bouncy
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 12:59

Get the new headless Mac

Not the iMac, not the eMac, those I believe will continue to fill the spots they are in, one as mostly an education machine, and one as a consumer machine. Either that, or the iMac will go headless and the eMac will fill its shoes.
Heck, I don't know what's gonna happen, the middle of the road for Apple desktops is blurry right now. Only time will tell.

SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-05-24, 14:52

DMBand0026 This is a hypothetical thread. I was simply saying what the iMac would need for me to buy one
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 15:56

I know that, and I suggested an alternative since I don't think an iMac will work for you And a hypothetical alternative at that.

I hope it didn't come off as anything other than just a lighthearted suggestion, cause it wasn't meant to. Sorry.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-24, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEchoes
DMBand0026 This is a hypothetical thread. I was simply saying what the iMac would need for me to buy one
OK then. I want an iGame - a consumer Mac, optimised for games to be simultaneously announced with the surprise release of Half-Life 2 on the Mac.

It will have the iMac floating head screen - 20inch... fuckit, 23inch (yeah baby). And it isn't stiff but smoothy-glidy like the 17incher.

It will have whatever the latest graphics card is (Fire-whatty?).

It will have huge honking great processers... Huh, what? I don't care which ones, as long as they're huge and honking (yeah, honking)... err... and in a silent enclosure. So everything will be suuuuuperfast.

It will be able to do surround sound.

Nach, I can't be bothered to think of all the things I would want in an iMac to make me buy one... But, I contend (gotta love the class connotations of the English language), that hypothetical wish lists can get silly, and get silly pretty quickly.

bouncy bouncy
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-24, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I hope it didn't come off as anything other than just a lighthearted suggestion, cause it wasn't meant to. Sorry.
Eh, I just took it as advice d00d. Though I wasn't suggesting that I am a game-mad consumer... though I am... it was just a hypothetical... er...based on me.

bouncy bouncy
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-24, 19:48

What would I like in an iMac G5? I'm going to go out on a huge limb here and say "have them shipping in reliable, defect-free quantity within, say, five months of their unveiling". That too much to wish for? Hmmmm?

I know...that's a TALL request, considering.

"Maccentral.com, Oct. 11, 2004: Apple has acknowledged the problem of some LCDs mounted upside-down on their new flagship G5 iMac, announced two months ago by CEO Steve Jobs. Also, many readers are reporting that hard drives haven't been installed in nearly 1/3 of the shipping units, and that the power cable including with the new iMac is the same on both ends, rendering said cable totally useless. A class-action suit is pending. Stay tuned as details unfold..."

Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 20:18

A new body design with a detachable arm option that allows easy conversion to headless iMac - including the option to buy it that way. I have posted before about my 'squared hockey-puck' design in .com.

Slot load too - I really prefer slot load.

Some greater ability to upgrade would be nice - although this might be dreaming on my part.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-24, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
"Maccentral.com, Oct. 11, 2004: Apple has acknowledged the problem of some LCDs mounted upside-down on their new flagship G5 iMac, announced two months ago by CEO Steve Jobs. Also, many readers are reporting that hard drives haven't been installed in nearly 1/3 of the shipping units, and that the power cable including with the new iMac is the same on both ends, rendering said cable totally useless. A class-action suit is pending. Stay tuned as details unfold..."

Awww crap. Now you've gone and done it. You know this is gonna happen now!
And you can bet the class action suit will include those who were shipped units of "the incorrect hue". "His white is different than my white!"

Than you'll get the crack pots filing suit #2..."his machine was shipped without a HD, I and mine had a HD! What the crap? This is an outrage, if he doesn't have one, I shouldn't have one."
They'll be mad that their machine had a HD, just to give them something to complain about. Idiots.

Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-05-24, 23:22

The G5 iMacs are going to look very different, I suspect. They'll be custom-built around the G5 the same way the PowerMac was -- and hopefully with less expensive components to better compete against $600 PCs.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-24, 23:32

I hope so - I think the iMacs need to be more price competitive too!

Btw: Don't tell me about the eMac (that hunk of plastic was originally created to make inroads into the education market - you can't tell me consumers actually prefer that design over the iMac can you? I think it is selling b/c of the low price point or features/value ratio.)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
netromac

2004-05-25, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes
The G5 iMacs are going to look very different, I suspect. They'll be custom-built around the G5 the same way the PowerMac was -- and hopefully with less expensive components to better compete against $600 PCs.
I don't think the G5 iMac's are going to look "very different". They may be different but I think Apple is going to keep the "lamp" design concept for a while. They may redesign the base and change colour, or have some colour or aluminium elements, but the layout is going to remain the same.

While a sub $1000 G5 iMac would have sold loads and loads of units, I don't see it happen. If they were to sell it at that price they would need to use cheap low quality displays, small hard drives, 128 MB ram and cheapo graphics. This would make the advance made in processor power rendered almost useless.

Apple should instead market the iMac as a semi-professional computer or "power" computer. They could get a reasonably fast G5, decent graphics and display without costing a fortune.

Then they should re-make the eMac with a LCD screen and decent specs. Give it a "real" Macintosh look, and market it as the computer for the price AND quality conscious.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-15, 19:22

i think apple should make the new imac like the original, a true consumer machine, that was cheap and easy to use with all the power. you know a real "computer for the rest of us"
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-06-15, 20:08

Apple should create a headless Mac, maybe to go along with those rumored DVI displays, but with the current lineup it would be hard to do without sacrificing either G5 or iMac sales. What they should do is drop the eMac(for consumers) and lower iMac prices(799-1499) and introduce an aluminum Cube(will we ever let Apple live down that computer?). Yeah, maybe this post is starting to sound like another "This is what Apple needs to do to make me happy" post, but bear with me.

This AluCube would be a 1.6 G4 and be priced at 1699. Not much wiggle room, but it doesn't need that much. Besides, any higher or lower in price would canabalize sales of the respective product.

It would have base specs like the following:

- 1.6Ghz G4
- 512megs RAM
- 60GB HDD, 7200RPM
- Video card with 64 megs RAM

Now, in order to bring iMac prices down, Apple might have to lower the proc speed, which probably isn't too good an idea from a PR perspective. (This post starts to sound more fantasysing with every sentence) Or else, as netromac said, they would become too cheap.

Yeah, probably never gonna happen, but it'd be nice.
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-16, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
i think apple should make the new imac like the original, a true consumer machine, that was cheap and easy to use with all the power. you know a real "computer for the rest of us"
Then get the emac. They are the same design as the old imacs but, on steroids.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-16, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Then get the emac. They are the same design as the old imacs but, on steroids.
i already have one and you know it
AppleLuver54

2004-06-21, 16:53

I would like more Random Access Memory(RAM)imac G4 is kinda slow dont ya think and i hope it has at least 2.5 GigaHertz(GHZ)Also a bigger HDD I store a lot of Crap on my Mac.But the people at apple are pretty Eh!?!I think they should make a game console.
psgamer0921

2004-06-22, 13:22

A G5? That'd sure be nice
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-22, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLuver54
I would like more Random Access Memory(RAM)imac G4 is kinda slow dont ya think and i hope it has at least 2.5 GigaHertz(GHZ)Also a bigger HDD I store a lot of Crap on my Mac.But the people at apple are pretty Eh!?!I think they should make a game console.
AppleLuver. Is that like ChickenLover?

Quagmire
meh

2004-06-22, 17:17

I do not want the pizza box design. But, if we know apple they will make the pizza box imac look great.