AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Battlestar Galactica Season 4 *SPOILER TAGS AHOY*

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Battlestar Galactica Season 4 *SPOILER TAGS AHOY*
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-22, 11:59

Who's been watching this? I know there are a few BSG fans here but I haven't seen any recent discussion so I thought I'd start a new thread for the new season.

Well, without further ado, let's dive into spoilers!

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I'm glad they killed Cally. She was an annoying, shallow character. All she did was whine and act hurt all the time. Good riddance!

Starbuck's still annoying. She's just SO friggin' emo all the time it's hard for me to take any of her scenes seriously.

In fact, all the characters are starting to wear on me. BSG is gritty and "realistic" (as realistic as a sci-fi series could be, I guess), and they've made sure the characters all have a darker side. This makes it harder to really feel a personal connection like with Star Trek, where the characters (not just the story) make the show. Unfortunately, I think the characters still act too predictably, just not in the same "predictably good" way that Star Trek's protagonists act. BSG's story is what's so compelling and I'm actually quite glad that this will be the last season. They couldn't drag it out any longer—last season had a dangerous number of filler episodes, and I don't want this one to be the same way. So far, it hasn't been. On the other hand, not a whole lot has happened (with the exception of the aforementioned event in the spoiler tags). It's moving a little too slow.

As for theories,

1. Starbuck as the last hidden Cylon makes so much sense... but that makes it impossible to speculate. It seems too obvious that she is a Cylon, but then again, that's the only thing that would possibly make me think she isn't. It would just be too easy to say "oh yeah and Starbuck's a Cylon, wasn't it obvious?" But maybe that's the point. I don't know.

2. Something is up with Baltar. They're really going nuts trying to make him look like Jesus. Healing children? Telling followers about the one true God? Big ol' beard (well not anymore)? I wonder if all this is moving towards him being very significant or if it'll just pump his ego up only to have it deflated at some point when he learns he's insignificant in the universe. He wasn't in this episode so I guess he'll be in the next one.

3. I'm betting on them finding Earth sooner rather than later (I'm thinking around the halfway point of the season, for a good cliffhanger). Having them find it inhabited by Cylons would be too Planet Of The Apes, and it wouldn't make sense, but I bet they'll find it at the same time as the Cylons and have to choose between total defeat, surrender, or some sort of a truce with one of the sides in the Cylon civil war that just started.

Last edited by Luca : 2008-04-22 at 12:13.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-04-22, 12:35

My guesses...
1) Baltar's the final Cylon. He shouldn't have survived the blast in the pilot, I've been stating it since Day 1. The Six-in-his-head and now the Slick-Baltar are further evidence in my book.

2) Lee and someone else, maybe Starbuck, maybe a Cylon, will end up on Earth, at which point we'll find out her middle name is some variant of Eve. His is Adam-a, after all. (Yes, I think they could be that horribly cliched... remember, the original was loosely based on Mormonism, and in that religion when you die, you don't go to Heaven, you get your own planet to repopulate - hence, the original multiple wives.)
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-04-22, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post

3. I'm betting on them finding Earth sooner rather than later (I'm thinking around the halfway point of the season, for a good cliffhanger). Having them find it inhabited by Cylons would be too Planet Of The Apes, and it wouldn't make sense, but I bet they'll find it at the same time as the Cylons and have to choose between total defeat, surrender, or some sort of a truce with one of the sides in the Cylon civil war that just started.
I'm beginning to think that the only way to end it is for them to never find Earth, or to die within sight of it. Cylons included. Meanwhile this leaves open the possibility that Earth is inhabited by modern day humans as in real life.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-04-22, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
My guesses...
1) Baltar's the final Cylon. He shouldn't have survived the blast in the pilot, I've been stating it since Day 1. The Six-in-his-head and now the Slick-Baltar are further evidence in my book.
That doesn't explain Starbuck's return from the dead, nor her brand new Viper...or even her clairvoyance. Also the president's visions and shared dreams with Caprica Six.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-22, 12:54

Actually, nevermind about them finding early mid-way through the season. I'm not sure they could really keep that fresh for half a season.

Maybe the mid-season cliffhanger will involve some big conflict with the Cylons, one that can only be resolved by finding Earth?

One thing seems certain—sometime, probably fairly soon, we'll see at least a segment of the Cylon population working with the humans. Any of the sixes, eights, and twos that survived the last episode are going to be much more willing to work directly with humans.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2008-04-22, 15:26

Like your theory's gang.

But all I know is I'm sure they will blow us away with something we haven't figured on.

/I think it's Baltar too tho....

//Sorry, don't know how to hide things.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.

Last edited by Stone Of Love : 2008-04-22 at 16:14.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-04-22, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love View Post
Like your theory's gang.
The theory has its own gang?

Quote:
//Sorry, don't know how to hide things.
[spoiler]boo![/spoiler]

boo!
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2008-04-22, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The theory has its own gang?

[spoiler]boo![/spoiler]

Testing 1,2,3. Testing!

thanks!!
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2008-04-24, 23:37

So I'm telling a friend about the one off show they did this off season, the one where Adama meets up with the Cylon line that was abandoned. The TV Cylons....

And I'm wondering...

Do you think that was a set up for the Cylon civil war that seems to be taking place?? Possibly they could join the fight on one side or the other. Or could they be what Starbuck finds on "Earth"

I don't know, food for thought.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-25, 10:07

Galaxies Collide, bizatches!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7366597.stm

Eugene
careful with axes

2008-06-14, 05:42

Er...so Earth got fucked somehow, but the fleet made it there. 10 episodes left to wrap everything up, right? And I just know Moore's going to kill off way too many characters and leave me feeling bitter about the whole show. I'm sick of all the betrayals and moral ambiguity...especially Roslin's.

I'm most curious about the 5th final Cylon which may or may not exist and the various babies. We have a hybrid baby with a human mother, one with a human father and one which is fully Cylon...

Last edited by Eugene : 2008-06-14 at 06:49.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-14, 07:50

Gotta admit, I was half expecting missiles to come flying up from Earth and start taking out the fleet. "We made it! We made it! We...WHAT THE FRAK?" So the question is... was that really Earth? (I say yes.)

It's the home of the 13th tribe.

Them. The humans and Cylons, they're now the 13th tribe... and all of this will happen again. Periodic expansion into space to the nearest 12 habitable planets, then contraction as they all nearly wipe each other out, and the remnants make their way back to Earth to start again.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-06-14, 12:40

Sort of off-topic, but they filmed some of Caprica at my workplace a week or so ago. Pretty fun stuff.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-06-14, 12:59

Kick. That's almost exactly my take on it.

I think they rushed that episode. For once I wish they had dragged things out a little bit more. Do others agree?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2008-06-14, 13:15

That episode should have taken two IMO. Instead of giving us episode after episode of filler they should have really just gotten to the point of where the other seasons have been leading to.

I just hope the last 10 are less of the filler variety...
k squared

2008-06-14, 13:48

Damn, the wait to see the episode online sucks. I've been an episode behind since Hulu stopped showing the most recent episode the day after it aired on cable.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2008-06-17, 06:22

k squared, bit torrent is your friend!!

watched this last night.
Did you notice how the beginning used to say "5" are unknown, and 1 will be revealed, but last night it said "4" Hmmm!!?? Only thing we know is that the 3 called Roslyn a Cylon in the episode before this...

I don't know, the ending of the last has me confused as hell!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-06-17, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love View Post
k squared, bit torrent is your friend!!

watched this last night.
Did you notice how the beginning used to say "5" are unknown, and 1 will be revealed, but last night it said "4" Hmmm!!?? Only thing we know is that the 3 called Roslyn a Cylon in the episode before this...

I don't know, the ending of the last has me confused as hell!
Deanna laughed after saying that, knowing she had pulled one over on Roslyn. We already know from the second(?) season that Sharon's baby's blood was able to eliminate the cancer flowing through Roslyn's veins. If she was Cylon, she never wouldn't contracted cancer at all.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-17, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Deanna laughed after saying that, knowing she had pulled one over on Roslyn. We already know from the second(?) season that Sharon's baby's blood was able to eliminate the cancer flowing through Roslyn's veins. If she was Cylon, she never wouldn't contracted cancer at all.
Presumably. Tigh aged, don't forget.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2008-06-17, 19:33

I'm not clicking any of these spoiler tags because I just started watching the series.

I began with the miniseries over the weekend and I'm two episodes into season 1 - I'm already hooked!

I have a lot of catching up to do.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-06-17, 20:40

Well there were clearly 5 shrouded adults in D'Anna's vision, but there is a 5th full Cylon...Six and Tigh's baby.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-06-17, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Well there were clearly 5 shrouded adults in D'Anna's vision, but there is a 5th full Cylon...Six and Tigh's baby.
Wasn't it Sharon & Helo's baby? Helo is one of the five, so Sharon's baby was full on Cylon as well. Maybe this is why the 5 came back in secret?

The other models couldn't reproduce (they thought it was because they couldn't manufacture love at one point IIRC) so maybe the 5 had to 'be human' until at some point it was determined they had reproduced?

I'm stretching here because we still don't know why they activated in the nebula. All of these people had been in that close proximity of Cylon ships before and had fought/killed Cylons, especially on New Caprica, so why was it different in the Nebula?
k squared

2008-06-17, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Presumably. Tigh aged, don't forget.
But do we know when he became a Cylon? That's one aspect of the story line I'm not caught up on: was it ever revealed how the 5 were "converted"?
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-06-17, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Wasn't it Sharon & Helo's baby? Helo is one of the five, so Sharon's baby was full on Cylon as well. Maybe this is why the 5 came back in secret?

The other models couldn't reproduce (they thought it was because they couldn't manufacture love at one point IIRC) so maybe the 5 had to 'be human' until at some point it was determined they had reproduced?

I'm stretching here because we still don't know why they activated in the nebula. All of these people had been in that close proximity of Cylon ships before and had fought/killed Cylons, especially on New Caprica, so why was it different in the Nebula?
- The "4" are Tory Foster, Saul Tigh, Samuel Anders and Galen Tyrol.

- Helo is not known to be a Cylon, so I'm assuming the baby is a hybrid.

- There are two known Human-Cylon hybrid children, Hera Agathon and Nicholas Tyrol.

- Saul Tigh impregnated the captive Caprica Six during one of his many "interrogation" sessions.

- If that baby is born it will be the only known full-Cylon progeny.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-06-17, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post
But do we know when he became a Cylon? That's one aspect of the story line I'm not caught up on: was it ever revealed how the 5 were "converted"?
He was presumably always a Cylon. Don't forget we now know that full-Cylon pregnancies are possible.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2008-06-18, 11:51

Quote:
He was presumably always a Cylon. Don't forget we now know that full-Cylon pregnancies are possible.
Since when do we know this?? I musta missed that tid bit. Up to date on my show watching too.

I also missed the part that said the Six was pregnant.

Of course, I did watch a couple of episodes in a row late at night while drinking!!

Quote:
sessions.

Still not convinced that this is true. Again, if Roslyn isn't a Cylon, and One of the five has been revealed as per the open of the show, which also says "one will be revealed" then why would they reveal all four remaining, and who was the first revealed?? I don't think D'Anna knows all she think she knows! The fact that Earth is bombed out points out to me that this is probably true!

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-18, 12:19

Another thing for you speculators to consider is that RDM all but told us that the final Cylon is not in this image:

That doesn't mean it wasn't a clever bit of trickery on his part to lead overspeculative fans down the wrong path, but it seems likely he's telling the truth.

There aren't a whole lot of characters that aren't in the picture. None of them are major enough to make a good final cylon. They could, however, bring back a dead character, either one that died earlier in the show or one that died before the show even started, like Zack Adama.

Or they could do this! A guy wakes up and realizes it was all a dream! Shakes his head a bit, throws on a bathrobe, and walks out to his mailbox. His neighbor greets him and it's the same guy, thereby revealing that he, himself, is the final Cylon!!! And then his mailman shows up and it's Cavil! His wife comes out of the house and she's Sharon!

OMG! That ending would be pwnage of the highest order. I imagine at least 10,000 fans would commit seppuku on the spot.

P.S. ALTERNATE POSSIBILITY: Random guy gets up, starts brushing his teeth, and as he's looking in the mirror, you hear the trademark cylon hum and his eyes flash red. Shocked, he runs outside, where he's met by dozens of copies of himself along with several other Cylon models. Then he screams, "Damn you! Damn you all to Hell!!!!" and the show ends.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-06-18, 12:52

Quote:

- Helo is not known to be a Cylon, so I'm assuming the baby is a hybrid.

- There are two known Human-Cylon hybrid children, Hera Agathon and Nicholas Tyrol.

- Saul Tigh impregnated the captive Caprica Six during one of his many "interrogation" sessions.

Guess I got Anders mixed up with Helo. Forget what I said then.
¡Damned!

2008-06-18, 16:44

Quote:
Those two are mutually exclusive, though, because of Tigh's age.

We know that the Cylons were still working on the Human-Cylon at the end of the first Cylon war (and the tech was still in its infancy), so that would give them 30(?*) years to plant a Tigh in the fleet.

*I'm assuming that Adama and Tigh have known each other for around 10 years. I may be off on that assumption.

So it goes.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-18, 16:47

RDM has always said that the Final Five are fundamentally different from the others. He's never explained how or why (understandably), but it basically gives him free license to do whatever he wants with them. So if he wants to make it so they can age, they can, because they're different. If they breed with other cylons, same thing. They're different, so anything you know about other humanoid cylons can theoretically get tossed out the window. They may or may not be able to interface with cylon computers, resurrect (though that would be a moot point with the hub gone), or do anything else you'd expect a cylon to do or not do.