Brad's wicked awesome iTunes 7 skin/mod

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-24, 23:06

I'll make this short.

Problem: I don't like some of the UI and theme changes with iTunes 7.
Solution: Hack iTunes 7 as much as I can (within reason).

My solution entails:
  1. Replace the source list background to match Mail.app.
  2. Replace the source list selection colors to match Mail.app.
  3. Replace the fuzzy gray scroll bar graphics with standard Aqua scroll bar graphics.
  4. Replace the gray list header graphics with standard Aqua list header graphics.
  5. Replace the smooth back/play/forward buttons with their older Aqua counterparts.
  6. Replace the dark gray buttons along the bottom edge with lighter gray buttons that match the style of the back/forward/home/etc buttons at the top of the iTunes Store area.
  7. Replace the ALL CAPS SOURCE LIST HEADERS.
  8. Move the "Show Equalizer" menu to under the Window menu as "Equalizer".
  9. Gives iTunes and Equalizer menu items the keyboard mappings command-1 and command-2, respectively.
  10. Change Actual Size, Double Size, and Fit to Screen menu items' keyboard mappings to command-9, command-8, and command-7, respectively. I changed these because of #9 above. 9, 8, and 7 are right next to 0; so, they seemed to be the next best solution.

I actually made this last weekend, but when I saw that AguaT was making the rounds, I figured I didn't need to release my own version. After trying out AguaT, though, I didn't like its use of Aqua elements everywhere (and the implementation didn't quite get all the colors right) and I thought there might be some interest in a theme that brings iTunes to a more moderate mix of Aqua and custom brushed-metal stylings. So, I cleaned up the loose ends of my iTunes mod and have it ready for sharing now.

Obligatory screenshots:

Download link:

Installation instructions:
  1. Quit iTunes if it is running.
  2. Create a backup of the iTunes application and put it somewhere safe (in case something breaks).
  3. Control-click the iTunes application in the Finder and choose Show Package Contents.
  4. Open the Contents folder.
  5. Open the Resources folder.
  6. Replace the existing iTunes.rsrc file with my custom iTunes.rsrc file.
  7. Open the English.lproj folder.
  8. Replace the existing Localized.rsrc with my custom Localized.rsrc file.
  9. Replace the existing Localizable.strings with my custom Localizable.strings file.
  10. Relaunch iTunes!

Yes, I'm only altering the menus and source list headers for the English localization. If you use another language primarily, too bad.

I provide (virtually) no support for this modification. You install and use it entirely at your own risk. Though, I would appreciate knowing if anyone here uses it and likes it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-09-24, 23:07

It's beautiful. gonna try it now.

Use a better EQ.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-09-24, 23:09

Way OT... Can you tell me what you put as the album name for Jurassic Park? Mine just says "Jurassic Park" and it can't get the art for it. :/

</OT>
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-09-24, 23:10

It's in the pic. (well, half of it)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-24, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
Use a better EQ.
Actually, I usually have the equalizer turned off. I just selected one for the purpose of demonstrating the widgets in the screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Way OT... Can you tell me what you put as the album name for Jurassic Park? Mine just says "Jurassic Park" and it can't get the art for it.
I put the Jurassic Park album art in there manually. iTunes doesn't seem to do a good job of gathering artwork for soundtracks.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-24, 23:13

Hm, I'd apply this but I don't agree with all the changes, especially #10. Nice work though!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-24, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hm, I'd apply this but I don't agree with all the changes, especially #10. Nice work though!
#10 was indeed a tough choice. I definitely wanted to use command-1 and command-2 for the iTunes and Equalizer items, though, and I couldn't think of any better substitutes for keyboard commands. Do you have any better suggestion for shortcut keys?

If you like the mod otherwise, just skip the Localized.rsrc file. That file just has the changes to the menus (if I recall correctly).

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-24, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
#10 was indeed a tough choice. I definitely wanted to use command-1 and command-2 for the iTunes and Equalizer items, though, and I couldn't think of any better substitutes for keyboard commands. Do you have any better suggestion for shortcut keys?
I'm afraid I don't. It's just that I'm actually starting to get comfortable playing videos in iTunes, now that they're not extremely laggy any more, and now that there's much better controls — the main compelling reason is that it can remember the playback position. Just about every Mac video player has "standardized" cmd-0 through cmd-3 for video sizes.

I'd prefer cmd-opt-0 through cmd-opt-3 over 7 through 0, personally.

Quote:
If you like the mod otherwise, just skip the Localized.rsrc file. That file just has the changes to the menus (if I recall correctly).
I'll see about it. Thanks.
shatteringglass

2006-09-25, 03:54

Thanks so much, Brad. iTunes isn't ugly anymore. Hurray!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-09-25, 05:45

It's iTunes again!

The headers (name, time, artist) still look a little weird being bold. Were they always?
chucker

2006-09-25, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
It's iTunes again!

The headers (name, time, artist) still look a little weird being bold. Were they always?
Nope, and their background changing used to be different, too. (Cf. Finder's list view for reference.)
pOps

2006-09-25, 06:47

wow! I already like it better...

do any of you know if there is a program somewhere that lets you make your own skin for iTunes 7 (I think there was one for previous versions). because I would like iTunes to match the coverflow plugin, if possible..
(like I quickly did in this cut and paste job in PS.)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-25, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Nope, and their background changing used to be different, too. (Cf. Finder's list view for reference.)
Correct. The headers look especially weird because there's a light shadow behind the text and the text is slightly larger overall. The header graphic itself is a nonstandard size, being one pixel too tall. If I ever figure out how to change the text shadow or size, I'll certainly be posting an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pOps View Post
do any of you know if there is a program somewhere that lets you make your own skin for iTunes 7 (I think there was one for previous versions).
Resorcerer, ThemePark, and the graphics editor of your choice. Skinning iTunes works essentially the same in version 7 as it did in previous versions.

thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2006-09-26, 10:43

Thank you very much for this Brad. The return of the command-1 and command-2 to bring the windows up is especially welcome.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-26, 11:09

I'm still deciding whether I like the new UI. I thought it was great at first, but the all-caps library categories got annoying. I removed those, and that alone was a big improvement. However, I'm liking the aqua-ness of this mod. I'll have to keep this bookmarked, I think.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Electric Monk

2006-09-26, 12:24

I like the skin, though for now I'm sticking with the default. Seeing if I can get used to it. Otherwise Leopard might be too much UI goodness (screw-ups) to handle.

One thing I would like to change is the colour of the source list. I rather liked the dark blue they went with in that now changed help document that got posted.

What do I have to modify just to change that? I ask out of pure self-interest noting that you changed it to a slightly lighter shade to match Apple Mail so it must be possible.

Thanks in advance.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-26, 12:36

Very nice work, you raise the bar of what it means to be a geek. I don't agree with a handful of your changes personally(they make sense, but I think the end product doesn't look as good as you think it does), but it's great to see you did this, especially after we(collective we) had discussion over the various UI inconsistencies and what not. Few among us would actually go out of their way to try and correct them.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-09-26, 15:55

Is there any way to get Command-1, Command-2, and Command-3 to control the vew (List, Album, CoverFlow respectively)? That would be awesome.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-26, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato64 View Post
Is there any way to get Command-1, Command-2, and Command-3 to control the vew (List, Album, CoverFlow respectively)? That would be awesome.
If Apple had put those options in menus, yes, that would be possible.

Fitting with the trend of iTunes UI decisions, the development team decided it would be best to omit these options from the menus.

arnoct

2006-09-26, 17:02

I must be the only person in the world who likes the new iTunes look
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-09-26, 17:19

Brad, this is hawt.
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-09-26, 18:22

Yeah, I like the new current version.

Still, you have to give people options I suppose.
McSandwich

2006-09-26, 19:41

Can't say I took much notice of the changes - until I read this. More often than not I open iTunes, select a playlist, and minimise - that way I don't get to see much of it. Taking a closer look, I like the new interface. For the most part, the muted interface colour scheme lets the content speak for itself, and the ALL CAPS LIST HEADERS 'stand out' enough to be noticable with just a cursory glance so affording quick selection of SOURCES.... Nice!

Good work on the mod Brad, I wish I had your free time but I won't be installing.
rob3rtx

Send a message via AIM to rob3rtx Send a message via Yahoo to rob3rtx  
2006-09-27, 00:01

Thanks Brad, I like this much more than the current skin.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2006-09-27, 00:58

I had a few custom transparent PNGs (i.e. non-rectangular artwork) I was using for some podcast "album" artwork but after doing this mod they aren't transparent anymore. Quite weird.

Could be a coincidence/bad timing? :shrug:

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Hassan i Sabbah

2006-09-27, 04:57

Nice. Those weird scrollbars. Wtf?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-27, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq View Post
Could be a coincidence/bad timing?
My vote is for coincidence/bad timing. Nothing in this mod should change the functionality of iTunes except for the rearranging of menu items.
neiltc13

2006-09-27, 07:25

I coupled it with this fantastic icon and now I feel much better.
penguinjohn

2006-09-28, 15:01

is there any way to get the brushed aluminum bezel loo?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-28, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinjohn View Post
is there any way to get the brushed aluminum bezel loo?
Huh?