Driving without AC

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Driving without AC
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-07-28, 19:31

Okay so I have to make a trip home tomorrow from Indiana to Minnesota without an Air Conditioning. Its supposed to be 90 degrees. Outside of rolling down my windows does anybody have any suggestions to keep my car cool?

My first and only thought is to fill a cooler full of ice and open that up (however I'm afraid that's just going to fog up the windshield).

Any and all crack pot ideas are welcome.

And All That Could Have Been
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-07-28, 19:35

I'd suggest just keeping a cooler full of water in the passenger seat and bring a bunch of rags that you can dip in the water to wipe down your face and neck. Fresh water with wind blowing on it will cool you down really quick.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-07-28, 19:37

Two words: ice vest!

Get these flat ice strips/sheets and cut/arrange them around your chest and shoulders. Keep an extra couple sets on ice in a cooler.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd100629

You can get a little sheet like that at Target for just a few dollars.

Don't put them directly on your skin, of course. Instead, take an old shirt and fashion pouches for the ice with duct tape.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-07-28, 19:38

I hope the car's in a garage or something to keep it cool before the start of the trip.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-07-28, 19:43

Totally sold on the ice packs, and have water in the cooler for the go to last resort move.

The car is sitting out in the parking lot of my complex....but the plan is to leave before the sun hits it (God willing).

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-07-28, 19:43

If it's mostly highway driving, don't wear any clothes.

As long as there aren't any tollbooths (and you don't speed near cops), who would notice?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-07-28, 19:49

Any chance you can do some of the driving at night?

If you get some sleep right now, you could wake up a few hours before sunrise to beat the heat before it starts beating down on you.

Also, seconding Luca's tip about keeping your skin wet while getting a good breeze.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-07-28, 19:53

Crackpot idea:

Buy a small AC unit that you usually put out in a windows. Really small one.

Get a power inverter and connect the AC to your cigarette.

Be prepared to explain to your friendly neighborhood why there's a ugly piece of metal sticking out on your passenger side.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-28, 19:57

I've been without AC in my car for about six weeks now. Too cheap to get it fixed, and, so far, I've been okay.

I just dress light, roll down the windows, drink water, stick my hand out every now and then to deflect some wind to my face.

I have to admit: I've been an AC junkie my entire life, but I've actually gotten to where I enjoy a "windows rolled down" sort of life this past month or so. I seem to have re-calibrated my body a bit and I don't seem to get nearly as hot and uncomfortable with a bit of heat as I used to. The only time it's been bad has been a couple of occasions when we've had 95-98 degree days and ridiculously high humidity and I manage to catch every redlight (and get behind every slowpoke) in the city.

Driving on the highway/interstate, constantly moving, on a 90 degree day shouldn't be that horrendous if you take everyone's advice above.
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2008-07-28, 20:03

If for some reason you have to wear a button-down shirt on this trip, wear an undershirt. Seems like common sense, but I was dumb enough to not do that driving a car with no air-conditioning, and at the end of the trip, my back was sopping wet with sweat and I was miserable. An undershirt helps to keep all that in check, and you will actually stay a little cooler as a result. Odd, but it works.

The ice vest idea is an interesting one though, I'll admit.

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-07-28, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Crackpot idea:

Buy a small AC unit that you usually put out in a windows.
Best idea yet.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-07-28, 20:12

Quote:
Crackpot idea:

Buy a small AC unit that you usually put out in a windows.
Nice idea. But remember as it's Windows, you'll probably have to keep re-starting it.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-07-28, 20:13

I haven't had AC the entire time I've had this car which has been about 3 - 4 years so I'm not used to it by any means. However, I like to listen to Simpsons episodes, baseball games, music, books on tapes etc., so having my windows rolled down makes it really hard to hear (especially since I'm like 50% deaf in my left ear).

I love the AC window unit as wel.....be a hell of a contraption to rig up in my window though.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-07-28, 20:15

Crackpot idea: wet the front of your t-shirt (and especially the front of your girlfriend's t-shirt if she's going with you), use high fan speed and bring a cooler full of ice and drinks. Swelter! My AC crapped out on me this spring and it was like $1200 to replace it so I was like screw that. I'll replace it next spring when funds aren't as tight.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-07-28, 20:25

Oops...

Quote:
Get a power inverter and connect the AC to your cigarette.
Oh, the mental image....
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-28, 20:40

Here you go

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-07-28, 21:09

Spray bottles of water, lots of drinks, sun shades, loud tunes.

ROAD TRIP!

It's all about attitude. You'll be as comfortable as you want to be.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-07-28, 22:41

That's right... take the Hunter S. Thompson approach to road tripping *cough* (but without the LSD and Mescalin) and you'll be good to go.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-07-28, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
I like to listen to Simpsons episodes, baseball games, music, books on tapes etc., so having my windows rolled down makes it really hard to hear (especially since I'm like 50% deaf in my left ear).
Having water with you is especially good then. You'll be able to have the windows only a little bit open and still cool down if you have some water to help. Without it, you'll be hot even with all the windows down all the way.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-07-28, 23:05

You could always get one of these from a truck stop.

And don't forget one of these either.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Boomerangmacuser

2008-07-28, 23:46

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Blues Brothers FTW!
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-07-29, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerangmacuser View Post
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Blues Brothers FTW!
Agreed.

Note to self, need cigarettes.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-07-29, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Two words: ice vest!

Get these flat ice strips/sheets and cut/arrange them around your chest and shoulders. Keep an extra couple sets on ice in a cooler.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd100629

You can get a little sheet like that at Target for just a few dollars.

Don't put them directly on your skin, of course. Instead, take an old shirt and fashion pouches for the ice with duct tape.
^that is an idea made of pure, chilly win.
EmC

2008-07-29, 07:43

while my daily commute is nowhere near as long as your trip I enjoy riding with the windows down and do it all year round unless of course it's raining. Enjoy your road trip.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-07-29, 08:18

I once drove across the Mohave desert in 1980 on my way to Penn from downtown LA. I left on a Friday at 4 PM and LA was 98 and the desert was 122. I had no A/C.

What I found that worked the best (no ice vests then) are three things:

1. Keep the air system on extreme lowest setting. You need some fresh air so do not cut it off.

2. Stuff a towel in the windows on the sun side and roll them up. This will cut down sun heating up the interior. Slightly crack the windows on the opposite side.

3. Bring a cooler with lots of ice and drinks (ideally non caffeine.) Drink a lot of fluids.

Good luck.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
¡Damned!

2008-07-29, 08:56

If I have to drive more than 12 hours I'll leave at dusk and drive at night. Night driving on the interstates with the top down is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-29, 09:30

Night driving on the interstates is nice, period (and even more so with the top down, I'd imagine). I prefer it because it's way less crowded and you don't have to get nearly as wound-up and angry as you do during the daytime.

My ex and I took off to the Florida gulf coast in 1992(?) this way. I actually had a gig downtown that evening, but we packed our stuff beforehand and put it in the car, ready to go. We played our set around 10:00pm (opened for a larger act at some club/bar) and the bassist took my guitar and amp home with him, and so I was able to go straight from the stage to the car to the interstate (quite a "rock star" type moment for me, in that, for once, I didn't have to fool with breaking down and loading out...I just got to play and split, like Eric Clapton or Slash, and someone else got to take care of my gear).

Cruising down through Alabama at 2:00am, nobody on the roads, etc. It was awesome! This might've been pre-"My Cousin Vinny", so we had no weird thoughts running through our heads. She took a picture of me on the side of the road dancing/posing around the Florida state line sign like a complete dork...

"We made it!"

We did most of the trip with the windows down or cracked, I recall. It was just an awesome night, weatherwise. And I'm all amped-up from playing, so I wasn't tired at all.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-07-29, 16:19

Just did a 15 hour drive this summer, Modesto CA back to Vancouver (1000 miles/1800km), most of it during the day and it was in the 90s part of the way. We did some night driving on the way down, which would have been nice if we hadn't got up a 7AM. Wasn't bad for us though since my car has AC. Good luck beating the heat!
EmC

2008-07-29, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

Cruising down through Alabama at 2:00am, nobody on the roads, etc. It was awesome!
I find, that if you must go through Alabama, this is the best way to do it. As little contact as possible minimizes infection rates. 
¡Damned!

2008-07-29, 20:09

My favorite road trip was with my late dog 7, driving from Grand Haven, MI back home to Austin in my VW Thing:

Top down the whole way, 7 in my passenger seat, stopping for gas and tacos along the way (me: 2 bean, him: 2 beef, extra hot sauce). Just incredibly fun for the both us us. It took us about 22 hours straight through, and by the time we arrived back in Austin I had the most incredible tan I've ever had in my life....that is, until I took a shower. Open-air road patina FTL.

So it goes.