Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Rail Transport

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Rail Transport
Page 2 of 10 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 14:52

I *am* particular about aesthetics, so, Spec, I can either do something nice and clean around your tower on the way to my house or do something completely fucked up and an eyesore 20 blocks away.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-27, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I deleted it as being too wordy and embarassingly OCD and not responding to the things you edited into your post, but now I regret it. I saw that you quoted it and I rushed to tell you to not delete the quote and I was too late. I should have copied and pasted it from your quote before it was too late.
Maybe Brad can bring it back since it never really leaves?

Also, I think 709 would be a great architect for the train station.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-27, 15:02

OK, I've tried to incorporate what everyone is saying so far: here's a sketch (no colours yet.)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-27, 15:09

If you stack booster rails one after the other does it go faster? Can you be thrown from the track?
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 15:22

There's no diagonals afaikn with rails, but the overview looks pretty good. That said, the greyline will be a direct line from BP to Flaming Mountain. No stops. If someone would like to connect into my system, be my guest, but only at my substation.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-27, 15:32

Wait, are we designing this system as an overall, or is everyone just doing their own thing? Because if we're all just doing our own thing, I'll not bother drawing anymore and it'll just grow organically.
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 15:34

It'll be nice (maybe not Bradport nice) but nice. I'd already thought about building something underneath my lawn/pool, but this is perfect. When I can can get some coordinates I'm going to do it quick-like...

So it goes.
arteggio

2011-04-27, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If you stack booster rails one after the other does it go faster? Can you be thrown from the track?
Here's the MC wiki article. Based on one of the photos with four powered rails, I would say you can stack them. It also mentions somewhere that there's an upper speed limit (8 m/s?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
There's no diagonals afaikn with rails, but the overview looks pretty good. That said, the greyline will be a direct line from BP to Flaming Mountain. No stops. If someone would like to connect into my system, be my guest, but only at my substation.
Do you plan to make greyline follow spec's skyway, then go north to Flaming Mountain, where the substation will be?

Southernmost line: unless underground, it cannot extend out to the skyway that branches off to the sand mine at the SW of Furronia because of my chapel and shipyard. Though, it would be easy enough to lay it down at the bottom of my moat. If this line gets built as it's currently mapped, I would want it to end somewhere before my walls and then I'll take it inside at some spot.

Unless someone wants a quick route to the SW sand mine, then we can work something out. Just not the south skyway.

(Someone made diagonal tracks going from BP to the Arena. It's doable, with a ton of curves. )
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Wait, are we designing this system as an overall, or is everyone just doing their own thing? Because if we're all just doing our own thing, I'll not bother drawing anymore and it'll just grow organically.
I think it'll be a conglomerate of both. Yes, I'm doing my own thing to get from BP to FM. It's a pain to walk there to get supplies now, so I'm building a line. That line is also perfect to connect to NW lines. Which is why I'm building a substation.

Nothing weird, I just don't want to have to stop or push buttons every 20 blocks to restart. Plus, I think my place is a perfect hub, which is why I'm making it it available.

So it goes.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-27, 15:41

@bryson

Yep. Pretty much. Except I would have the white line stick to the skyway, i.e. remove the line near the biosphere and make the line north of it completely horizontal.

Diagonals + boosters might not work so well. Is it possible for us to hold off on express lines from Bridgeport to our compounds until we complete the primary lines? Because otherwise Bridgeport will be a big mess. As much as I'd like to build a purple line directly from the tavern to my castle, it would be extremely disruptive to do so.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-04-27 at 15:55.
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Do you plan to make greyline follow spec's skyway, then go north to Flaming Mountain, where the substation will be?

Southernmost line: unless underground, it cannot extend out to the skyway that branches off to the sand mine at the SW of Furronia because of my chapel and shipyard. Though, it would be easy enough to lay it down at the bottom of my moat. If this line gets built as it's currently mapped, I would want it to end somewhere before my walls and then I'll take it inside at some spot.

Unless someone wants a quick route to the SW sand mine, then we can work something out. Just not the south skyway.

(Someone made diagonal tracks going from BP to the Arena. It's doable, with a ton of curves. )
Yeah. Underneath my lawn/pool area. I think it'll be perfect.

The reason I say there's no diagonals is because diagonals are made from LRLRLR blocks. For all practical purposes a 90angle is just as efficient.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Also, I think 709 would be a great architect for the train station.
I can't take on any more projects until I finish what I have now!!! I can't do it!!! Where are we building it!!! Does it look like enough space for a GCT-something!!! I think I have enough glass!!! Now I may rethink my plans about the greyline!!! Oh shit I can't take on another project!!! But I want this!!!

So it goes.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-27, 16:11

My proposal, with colors:

Pretty much Robo's colors on Bryson's tracks. Looks good to me

Also, remember that these are just the primary lines. There are obvious gaps but we can fill those with secondary lines.

I don't know if we want to rejigger the glass curve so the red and yellow lines can meet, but I don't think it really matters.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-04-27 at 16:32.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-27, 16:20

OK, I made pictures. (EDIT: Haha, of course Kraetos makes a better picture while I'm making mine. But still.)

VISION FOR HIGH SPEED RAIL IN MINECRAFTIA

Here's the H that Kraetos and I were talking about, and which you can kind of see in Bryson's map. Bridgeport is the circle. The dotted line is White. (Kraetos, I think whatever north/south line that crosses Bridgeport should be Black, even if it's the easternmost north/south line for the foreseeable future; Bridgeport will pretty much always be the approximate center of the map, and if we build the Green line center I don't want to have to figure out what the eastern north/south line should be when we build it. You're free to disagree, of course. )

Here's the 2x2 grid that we were talking discussing as the eventual primary system:

The idea would be that people could individually expand upon it with secondary and tertiary lines it if they wanted to:

Quote:
Where are we building it!!!
I think it would make sense to build the train station closest to the point where the so-called Black and White lines intersect, no? So that would be that big open space between my house and Old Towne, right?

I think that makes sense — everybody's been expanding Bridgeport out in that direction lately, with the theater and the gay bar and the Gherkin and the airport and my house. It's sort of Bridgeport's downtown, and yet there's still a huge space open right where the two lines intersect. But you're free to disagree, of course.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-27, 16:26

Quote:
I think that makes sense — everybody's been expanding Bridgeport out in that direction lately, with the theater and the gay bar and the Gherkin and the airport and my house. It's sort of Bridgeport's downtown, and yet there's still a huge space open right where the two lines intersect.
That makes all sorts of sense. It puts it on the intersection on two of the heaviest lines, and pops you out right in downtown BP.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-27, 16:34

I'm okay with the Kraetos/Robo idea so long as I can keep my lime line.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-27, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Yep! All secondary colors and pastels are up for grabs. But I think it would be cool if we used pastels for lines in the square and secondary colors for lines outside of it.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-27, 16:43

I think I need to work out how blue and green could meet (at the Arena, maybe? Might involve a touch of underground work, perhaps?)

I like the idea of a unified system.

709's Grey Line sounds like it's not really part of the system as it has no stops, so it should be treated more like the Bridgeport-Arena line. Unless we could persuade you to press a button 3 times to make the trip....
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-27, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I think that the idea that the primary lines are primary colors and the secondary/tertiary lines are secondary/tertiary colors just makes basic intuitive sense, which might be why we all "claimed" secondary colors (lime, grey, orange, purple) for our "personal" lines. Nobody was like, yes, I will own the Red Line.

If anyone wants to see what a nerd I am, the geeky reasons I wanted Red in the West and Green, not Blue, in the eventual East are threefold: Red/West and Green/East share their vowel sounds, a subtle suggestion as to which lies where; Red and Green are complementary colors, so it just seems right that they are parallel and not perpendicular; and if Red and Green are on opposite sides the primary lines can form a basic color wheel around Bridgeport. Also, any eventual Green line would presumably go by Turtle's base way out east, which he said he would like.

That was basically all I was saying in my now-deleted post, so it can stay deleted (if anyone was considering resurrecting it).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-27, 16:55

Two cents:

The tracks should be just under sea level for the most part so that complex stations won't be eye sores in the sky ( i say this completely non-ironically)...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-27, 17:01

Fuck. I can't keep up with you guys during the day. I feel like I have replies ready in my head to a half dozen posts here, but I'm not going to try!

Don't you people have jobs or school or kids or something** to keep you occupied during the day hours??

** edit: besides MEIN CRAFT!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-27, 17:07

EVERYBODY STOP SAYING THINGS AND LET BRAD REPLY

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-27, 17:46

Okay.

[EDIT] Fuck.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-27, 17:47

Quote:
EVERYBODY STOP SAYING THINGS AND LET BRAD REPLY
Previously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
but I'm not going to try!
END OF THREAD.

edit: Oh... wait... I just... ^%$#@!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-27, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Two cents:

The tracks should be just under sea level for the most part so that complex stations won't be eye sores in the sky ( i say this completely non-ironically)...
I'm with bb on this one. I think it's going to be a better thing for them to be underground, but I can live with it above ground. Just wanted to state my thoughts.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 20:30

I'm cool with the Kraetos line, other than the jag to to the North on the white line (don't do it!) and rejiggering the skyway curve to meet at the yellow and red lines (not happening). The white/red intersection will be at my place, not out in the glass skyway. Not a big change.

I guess I can press a few buttons. As long as I don't have to stop every 10 seconds and change tracks. Kind've defeats the purpose imo.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-04-27, 20:32

Underground is fine. I was just worried about running into everyone's basements/mines.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-27, 22:49

Quote:
Underground is fine. I was just worried about running into everyone's basements/mines.
That's a fair concern and I think the solution is to plan the tracks around the basements -- use of an x-ray texture pack in this case would be warranted for design considerations...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-27, 22:52

Yellow for the North Line? Over my dead body, I'll TNT the skyway before I let that happen.

Yellow...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-27, 22:54

Also, for those who don't know, I do currently have a large tunnel that runs from one compound to the other underground. I have one track laid and am planning to get the other one down later. It runs directly beneath the skyway from my drowning trap to my National Park. A transfer point above it would certainly cover access to my tracks while allowing the map to be followed.

I don't know how deep it is, but I'm fairly certain that a track slightly underground wouldn't intersect directly with it. Then Robo can have his lime green that runs N/S and my line from E/W can be dark green.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.