User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Just bought a Used iMac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just bought a Used iMac
surjones

2016-02-26, 18:31

hey guys -I bought an used iMac from someone looking to upgrade to MacPro - That being said, I didn't get a steal of a deal.

I was having issue with DiskMaker X and so I started googling around looking for clean install options, now that being said I ended up seeing a post in some forum about buying used apple and even with a clean install got there system locked since the iCloud Find My Mac was still tracked with the computer??? Confused and being cautious, and havent hooked up my wifi to the machine yet, since I would like to get this up and running without being a pawn in someone's larger scheme. lol better safe than sorry

EDIT: Clearly I have been around and trusted around here so people know Im not being dodgy

Last edited by surjones : 2016-02-26 at 18:48.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-02-26, 20:20

As far as I know there is no way around the iCloud find my Mac lockout other than for the pervious owner to unlock the device.
surjones

2016-02-26, 20:28

Well my goal was the guy I bought it off not to be able to see where I live because of the Find My Mac. That being said. I reset the PRAM (CMD+OPTION+P+R) and is showed my iMac Name (the one I set up ) Also on set up I disabled the Location Enabled, and then set up my iCloud and then after that I then re-enabled it. So ya... Hopefully no issues.