AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Detecting WiIFi

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Detecting WiIFi
Jason
Veteran Member

2005-01-24, 17:12

Hi there,

One thing I'd like to ask about Apple PB is the manner in which they detect areas that are connected for WiFi. What happens when you boot up or wake from sleep? Do you get a message telling you that you are in a hot-spot or something? If anyone could supply screenshots or direct me to a thread or link somewhere that discusses this process, I would be most grateful.

Regards
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-01-24, 17:52

If you wake the computer up near an unusual network, it will ask you if you want to automatically connect and remember the network. I don't have any screenshots 'cus I would have to leave to find a unknown network. Other networks that you previously connected to show up under the airport icon in the menu bar when you return within it's range.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-01-24, 21:59

It looks like this:

As you can tell, I'm already connected to StayOut!.
If I put my iBook to sleep, it would simple reconnect to my last network as long as I'm in range.

If I was out of range from my network, the airport would show no signal, like this:

You can then click the AirPort icon, you'll get the pull-down menu like in the first picture, then you can select which network you want to join - provided that it's open or if you know the password.

I had a lot of fun this weekend at work using iStumbler. It's a cool little free program that will show you all the wifi networks that you can pick up where ever you are.
I found six networks that were wide open and had no encryption.
Another great app is KisMAC.

I also dig the Canary Wireless Digital Hotspotter. Got to get me one of those.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-24, 22:02

When there is no signal, the airport icon will look like the blue-highlighted icon from above, but the arcs will be grey instead of black... the icon you indicate is when airport is off.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Jason
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 17:27

Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone have a screenshot of what happens when a brand new network is detected? Some kind of dropdown notification or something?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-01-25, 17:30

it would just show up on the list in Nosferadrew's screenshot.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 17:30

I'll clear the settings on my PowerBook and take some screenshots... be back shortly.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 17:36

popup
too bad I didn't read your request about 10 minutes earlier... I just had it happen.
it is really nothing spectacular, just a small regular window with a checkbox and password field (if needed).

People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 17:59

I hope this will suffice...

Not connected to a network:

Detect a network when one of your "trusted" networks isn't available:

Connected:

AirPort menu contents:

Internet Connect:

AirPort turned off:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Jason
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 18:03

Brad,

Thanks for going to all that trouble.
All my questions are now answered. Much appreciated.

Regards
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-01-25, 20:22

Hmmm.....

Interesting how that top corner doesn't seem to render. It happened on my screenie too!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 20:32

Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-25, 23:23

/ot

what do you guys have in that blank spot? FUS? or is it something that would have been cut off by the snapshot (not that it should make a difference...)

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-25, 23:24

The FUS menu.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-26, 00:41

Hmm this is a little off topic, but do you use FUS because you share your computer with someone, or rather because you use a non-admin account for day-to-day work?

Just out of curiosity.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-02-09, 10:24

hi brad, how do u clear the settings that PB shows these pop-ups as it is first time network detection?

thanks
octavist13

2005-02-09, 13:56

Brad, what do you use Nexus for? Do you work for a printing company?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-09, 14:11

Bear in mind you will only detect non stealthy networks - if you're in a stealthy hotspot you need to know the exact name as well as password. Public hotspots won't be stealthy, but private ones can (should?) be.