Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Can I delete 'install' log files?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can I delete 'install' log files?
Track_40

2005-02-08, 19:56

Hi,
I'm brand new to OS X, and I have a quick question. I've installed a whole bunch of apps today on a new PowerBook, and I've noticed what appear to be several "install log" files when I double click on the "Macintosh HD" icon in the top right corner. Basically I see the following folders: Applications, Library System, User Guides and Information, Users... and then the install log files.

Can these be deleted? Or will I mess something up?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-08, 20:09

Man, I haven't seen those kinds of logs in years. No software installer worth its weight should be littering up your drive with those kinds of things. Just what kind of software have you been installing?

Yes, you can safely trash them.

Random tip: Please do feel free to customize your drive name from that stale "Macintosh HD" business. It adds personality to your computer! Click the name to change it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Track_40

2005-02-08, 23:41

The logs were created by Macromedia Apps, MS Office 2004 + MS Office Updater.

Thanks for the help. I hope to get up to speed ASAP.
I certainly am LOVING this OS X interface and thought process, I must say.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-08, 23:48

Ah, that explains it. Macromedia and Microsoft (Adobe too!) are stone-age companies that still use decrepit, old installer software that doesn't behave like it should.

C'est la vie.

Most software for Mac OS X doesn't even need an installer. A simple drag-and-drop of a program to a folder (preferably /Applications) will so the trick 99% of the time.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Track_40

2005-02-09, 11:23

Cool! I have a feeling I'm going to get spoiled by OS X real fast.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-02-09, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_40
Can these be deleted? Or will I mess something up?
They can be deleted without impact on the system whatsoever.

In terms of housekeeping, it might be useful to keep them to audit exactly where miscellaneous bits have been installed (in case you want to kill all bits later and the install log clues you in to odd places where components have been hidden).
ragingloogie

2005-02-09, 13:40

you should be able to just drag thoughs unwanted folders and files to the trash and trash them..... but im also new to mac... ive only been on my imac since late december.... but thats what i would think you'd want to do.