User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Airport Location, WEP, Settings Saved Where...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport Location, WEP, Settings Saved Where...
04BlackWRX

2004-08-19, 22:49

Ok here's my problem. I connect to my universities wireless network on my iBook G3 since they inputted the WEP Key. Well my question to you is where is the WEP Key saved? I have checked in KeyChain access it and it is not in there. The SSID is hidden but I know what it is. So when they setup my laptop they went to Join Specific Network, Typed in the SSID, and then typed in the Password. Now this password has to be saved somewhere on this laptop because it picks up their Cisco Aironet's signal as soon as I step on campus and it connects automatically. I would go back to the help desk but they said it will take 8 hrs and that I have to leave my password for my account with them. I don't trust them. So I turned here. Does anybody know where this information is saved?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-08-20, 00:40

Passwords are not typically saved in any means that can be viewed or transferred.

If you don't *know* the password, you can't get in. Seems that is what passwords are for...
I'll leave this here for another hour or so, but it's really Genius Bar material, so it will be moved there soon.
04BlackWRX

2004-08-20, 05:38

Sorry about putting it in the wrong location. I do know that if you have a typical wireless network where the SSID is broadcasted and you enter in the WEP key, if you go to your KeyChain Access (because you checked the save password box) you can see the Encryption Key. If you open up your KeyChain, Show Keychain, Login Keychain on the right hand side, then if you unlock it, type in your password, go to AirPort Network , and check the box in the lower left corner that says Show Password, it shows you a 0X and the next 26 Digits is the 128Bit Encryption Key. But like I said this SSID is hidden and there is no keychain even though the SSID and WEP Key are saved automatically. So I didn't know if there was a way to retrieve the Hidden one or not.