User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Love the new icons

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Love the new icons
SledgeHammer

2004-05-19, 12:29

I love the new icons on the forums front page. Good work on those. Let us know when there's a new Favicon in place, because I think the cache needs to be cleared for that to show up.

The only thing...the icon for a thread you've replied to in which there are new posts is still that open yellow folder, which just doesn't go with anything else on the site. Is that just me, or is it a holdover till something new can be designed?

At any rate, this site is lookin really good. Keep up the good work.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-19, 12:37

Yeah, I too just saw those round, gel bubbles on the forum frontpage...REALLY nice-looking stuff, as is the entire site (which I already said in the revolucion forum).

I'm not being a "choose sides" kinda guy at all when I say, in all sincerity, that this site - in just a few days - looks nicer and more thought-out than the .com did, during all the years I've been there.

No slam whatsoever at .com, just an honest observation...

This LOOKS like an Apple-oriented site, and that's just really cool.

For giggles, you guys should make the Digital Hub forum colored (mimic the iPod mini colors).

[Edit: Wow, just noticed the new "Edit" and "Quote" buttons too. Would it be too weird if I said I want to lick this site? Metaphorically, of course...delicious.]

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-19, 12:59

Err... Yah. Change is good but I am not a fan of the new icons.

It seems to "harsh" to me. It looks like they are flashy buttons and I feel like clicking them. Maybe if you were to tone down the contrast a bit on them and change the colour.

I donno... it's better then what was up before...

Maybe something like this?

and keep the other non apple icon to go with the above image.

This was just a quick job...

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-05-19, 13:18

ummmm, lickable icons.....

g
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-05-19, 13:19

I'm glad (some of) you guys approve.

LoCash based the site's overall design on Apple's Pro pages. Now that I'm working on theme updates, I'm basing my work on files I've extracted from Apple's NSPro theme used in FCP, Soundtrack, etc. That's where the new images and buttoms are coming from.

Expect more minor additions in the coming days!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-05-19, 13:34

Well, elements were inspired by the Pro pages. I had never gotten around to doing all of the widgets for vBulletin. I didn't really want to either, so it's nice Brad is tweaking things. Hyperbol3. or however his name is spelling, is working on some elements as well.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-19, 18:25

Looking luv-er-ly
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-05-19, 20:22

Guess I'm the only one, but I find these buttons kinda tacky. Ok I get it, we are at apple insider Why even use grey background, lets just use a cool apple icon repeating...maybe even a super cool gif of an apple getting a bite taken out of it

Sorry, and I'm just playing, it's not NEARLY that bad, but I do feel it's kinda tacky. Do I want to suggest I better idea? Not really, I'll play around with some stuff, but I probably won't be able to come up with anything much nicer.

Another idea (I'll make a mockup later) is that the first row of the display table bars, where it says "title", "reply to thread", all that stuff, could be modeled after the finder (but in graphite to match).

And the dark grey around everything...does it not look as good if you lighten it up a tad? Just seems kinda dark...again nit picking, I like things happy.

Side note though...love the edit and quote buttons !
hyperb0le

Send a message via AIM to hyperb0le  
2004-05-19, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
Well, elements were inspired by the Pro pages. I had never gotten around to doing all of the widgets for vBulletin. I didn't really want to either, so it's nice Brad is tweaking things. Hyperbol3. or however his name is spelling, is working on some elements as well.
You almost had it right hyperb0le on the forums, hyp3rb0le on AIM. But yeah, I'm working on some images for the forum.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-19, 20:42

Oops..."shut up" intended, jokingly, for asterxsk
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-05-20, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Oops..."shut up" intended, jokingly, for asterxsk
Whew, I was afraid he meant me, ast3r3x, for a second, but he really means some member named asterxsk
AirSluf

2004-05-20, 13:40

XXXXX

Last edited by AirSluf : 2004-11-15 at 22:52.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-05-20, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSluf
I agree the new icons look so button like they invite clicking, could that be added? Just link them the same as the Forum Title? Also browsing at work here on an ancient NT box in IE5 the surrounding grey is not rendering the same color as the boxes background, so the button's square stands out. Don't know if that's known and on the list for later or a whacky rendering issue.
It's a known issue with Internet Explorer on Windows. Those buttons are PNG files with an alpha channel. That's why they look some damn nice. IE on Windows will render PNGs, but they only did it half-assed and ignore the alpha channel. Brad tried GIF compression, but it looked horrible.

Only way to fix it is 1) Build new buttons, or 2) Write a JavaScript that detects the browser on the way in and feeds it the appropriate images.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-20, 14:37

in regards to widgets, all the widgets look great around the site, however, once you get into the new thread or reply box, all the widgets, while they are aqua, they are of a different style, ya know?

I don't know if this can even be changed, but it'd be
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-05-23, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I don't know if this can even be changed, but it'd be
It *could* be done, but it would be a major PITA.

The submit buttons are, well, submit buttons. They are drawn by the browser. In Mac OS X browsers like Safari and Camino, they are Aqua-style. In Mozilla and Firefox, they are the drab Windows-style.

Replacing them with graphics would take editing a *lot* of code in vB. On top of that, it would only work for the buttons. The popup menus that control things like the font selection would still look however the browser/OS chooses to render them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.