User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

"History Hound" indexes bookmarked and recent pages!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"History Hound" indexes bookmarked and recent pages!
wrinkles

2005-01-22, 19:36

Tiger "spotlight" won't have it; Google "Desktop Search" ain't happening, however...

"History Hound" by St. Clair Software is this webmonkey's dream come true. It creates an index of bookmarked and recently visited web pages. Preferences allow using any or all of the bookmarks and/or history from all the main mac browsers and URL Manager Pro (also allows exclusion of URL's containing certain text: I excluded ".php" because a certain php page sent it into a loop while indexing the first time). Full-window mode includes; results displayed as URLs by relevance; a slick preview browser pane, and an advanced search option drawer which open and closes with a click. Or invoke a tiny text-only search pallette via a hot key. Very well thought out software.

I installed it an hour ago, and it's like I grew another arm. This is a no-brainer decision for me. 30 day full function trial, 19.95 registration.
adam_tj

2005-01-22, 20:43

I agree it is amazing and fast with 4000+ pages. I will pay for it once the trial runs out.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-23, 08:51

Hmmm... I'll try it out for a while and see how often I will use it.

Mine's not so fast (on a PB G4 1.25GHz) with only ~1700 pages

What machine are you running it on adam_tj?

Maybe we have different concepts of fast...?

bouncy bouncy
adam_tj

2005-01-23, 09:05

PB G4 1.33gHz is the machine i've got HistoryHound on. It indexes whenever I leave the browser, and indexing takes about 3-4 seconds.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-23, 11:00

Oh, the indexing—mine's set to scan 4 browser Histories, as well as Safari's Bookmarks and Safari's Cache, once a minute and going back 60 days. No—I don't notice the indexing at all either. It was the searching that I thought was a little slow.

... But of course, now that I try searching again, its ultra-fast, turning up a result within 4 seconds every time.

What is a little slow (definitely slower than Safari) is the built in browser.

It just remains to be seen whether I will be able to integrate this app into my usual way of doing things. I think it will be very useful if I can.

bouncy bouncy