AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iSync only partially working?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iSync only partially working?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-07, 01:59

Hi all,

I can't get iSync to work properly with Safari bookmarks or Address Book contacts. For Safari it just takes the first two folders in my Bookmarks Bar - yet it updates every bookmark in the Bookmarks menu itself. Could it be the fact that I have bookmark folders, instead of one click links in the Bookmarks bar, as the problem culprit?

As for contacts and calendar items I get the following message at the end of the attempt.

Quote:
Monday, 7 February 2005 2:12 PM
Can't synchronize contacts to xxxx’s iP: device is not available
Can't synchronize calendars and To Do items to xxxx’s iP: device is not available
I haven't used iSync since I upgraded the OS and renamed my computer in the process. But I was happy to choose the "delete the old stuff and just use this new data for syncing option" (instead of merging the data for both sites) when it came up - and it sort of worked for the Safari bookmarks. I'm sure that this must be part of the problem - but I'm stumped as to how I can remedy it.

G4 TiPB - 10.3.7 and iSync 1.5 (v139)
TIA.
Mac+
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-07, 02:03

Well I read up on the Apple site and they suggested running iSyncUninstall - and that worked. But now, for some reason, I cannot log into .mac.

Arrgh - frustrating.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-02-07 at 02:16. Reason: was able to get a copy of iSync without logging into .mac
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-07, 03:10

Installed a fresh copy of iSync - kept trying to log into .Mac - finally made it. Reset all settings on first sync. All seems fine now. (phew)

Still was a p.i.t.a. though.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-07, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Installed a fresh copy of iSync - kept trying to log into .Mac - finally made it. Reset all settings on first sync. All seems fine now. (phew)

Still was a p.i.t.a. though.
iSync has been very odd for me lately too. Getting all kinds of errors like "the data is corrupted. Reset all devices and sync again" and then the next time I sync, it's fine. Glad you got it working.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-07, 09:07

.Mac & iSync have been acting funky since the new year began.
the problem is Apple is not being very communicative as to what's going on and users are thinking it's a problem on their end when in fact it's Apple's.
They've only communicated to members one period of downtime when it seems that logging in has been very iffy lately.

i meant to add: make sure you complain to Apple.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Last edited by SKMDC : 2005-02-07 at 09:14.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-07, 09:30

Well this is comforting to know that it is not our fault. I was getting frustrated no end. Trying to log in to .Mac services is a very hit and miss affair - I don't know what gives! Being that we pay for the service I would think that some communication is in order.

I'm off to send some feedback!
SKMDC

2005-02-07, 11:25

I use iBlog (an app i got through .Mac) and all through January I couldn't get it to post properly. I thought it was something wrong on my end so I'm puttering under the hood (something you don't want me doing) and I almost screwed things up even worse.
But it turned out because I have a localized iDisk and it wasn't syncing properly with the one at .Mac, but I found out about the existence of the problem from a third party, not Apple. They still haven't acknowledged there was a problem.
But after the planned shut down (what, about 2 weeks ago?) everything went back to normal. But Syncing and logging in have been spotty the last few days.

.....oh and the new iPhoto has screwed up iBlog, but they have a fix coming.
The people at iBlog are very responsive, and helpful.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-07, 20:39

Thanks SKMDC - I want to use iBlog whilst in China, instead of mass emails to everyone. I'll be looking into it toward the end of the month. Hopefully the .Mac stuff will be cleared up by then.
ragingloogie

2005-02-09, 16:16

for isync... ive used address book in the applications folder and for a web browser... ive been using camino... havnt experienced any problems yet... but then again... ive only been using isync to get addresses and such on my ipod
SKMDC

2005-02-09, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Thanks SKMDC - I want to use iBlog whilst in China, instead of mass emails to everyone. I'll be looking into it toward the end of the month. Hopefully the .Mac stuff will be cleared up by then.
wow what a coincidence, that's exactly why I got it. we adopted a little girl from china and that's how i kept family and friends up to date on our odyssey. it was a huge success.
since then it's taken on a life of it's own and I've heard from people all over the world that have read it.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-09, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
wow what a coincidence, that's exactly why I got it. we adopted a little girl from china and that's how i kept family and friends up to date on our odyssey. it was a huge success.
since then it's taken on a life of it's own and I've heard from people all over the world that have read it.
And you've got a really great homepage - I enjoyed reading the story of the adoption.