AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

So, last night I died

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So, last night I died
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-24, 20:50

Which is to say, I was viciously murdered in a vivid dream, possibly by a friend, I don't remember that much. The dream ended with my life draining out of my battered and shot up body. I woke up thinking essentially: "dang". All day I've been feeling pretty spaced out and glum, which is highly irregular for me. Are the two connected perhaps?

I typically don't put any weight on dreams, but I have been unable to explain why I have been feeling kinda down today, I'm typically very happy and chipper. Then suddenly I remembered my dream and I'm thinking... perhaps it might have something to do with it? I don't typically have dreams involving death, especially not my death.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-24, 21:27

A while back I had a pretty intense dream where I was at a market and was shot in the side of the face. I immediately felt the rush of a cold tingling sensation through my face, head, and body. Then for just a few seconds before it all faded to black, a flash of dread and regret went through my mind that I wouldn't be able to tell my loved ones goodbye.

It kinda startled me when I woke up, but I didn't give it much more thought after that.

Yes, your interpretation of your dream is very likely linked to how you feel in "the real world." Dream analysts for a hundred years have pinned current events and thoughts about upcoming events as the cause for many dreams.

One current school of thought from research in the past few decades is that dreams are simply the result of random electrical brain impulses that pull trace images from your memory. The dreams themselves may have no meaning or coherence innately, but our "waking" mind tries to make sense of the randomness by creating a story of sorts. That's why some dreams can have such completely bizarre things happen.

Does that mean dreams are completely meaningless? Well, no. The same beliefs are held that dreams reflect your current state of mind. The mind has to work with something to form a dream out of those random firings; so, what better than to draw on the template that is how you have already been feeling lately?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scrouds

If i dreamt that i died, it would put a hell of a damper on the day. That's not something nice to wake up to
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

I died in a dream once, by getting shot. IIRC, I was (for some strange reason) on top of my school, doing ninja stuff and trying to break in. Then the janitor shot me. One of the weirdest dreams I've ever had.

BTW, if you want to feel happier, just eat some ice cream. That'll take your mind off of things.

Edit: Whoa, three posts in the same minute! Trippy.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-24, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
A while back I had a pretty intense dream where I was at a market and was shot in the side of the face. I immediately felt the rush of a cold tingling sensation through my face, head, and body. Then for just a few seconds before it all faded to black, a flash of dread and regret went through my mind that I wouldn't be able to tell my loved ones goodbye.

It kinda startled me when I woke up, but I didn't give it much more thought after that.

Yes, your interpretation of your dream is very likely linked to how you feel in "the real world." Dream analysts for a hundred years have pinned current events and thoughts about upcoming events as the cause for many dreams.

One current school of thought from research in the past few decades is that dreams are simply the result of random electrical brain impulses that pull trace images from your memory. The dreams themselves may have no meaning or coherence innately, but our "waking" mind tries to make sense of the randomness by creating a story of sorts. That's why some dreams can have such completely bizarre things happen.

Does that mean dreams are completely meaningless? Well, no. The same beliefs are held that dreams reflect your current state of mind. The mind has to work with something to form a dream out of those random firings; so, what better than to draw on the template that is how you have already been feeling lately?
Cheers to that. I have spent enough time researching dreams to have a fair idea of the modern and classic theories regarding them. I am generally of the mind that they don't have much weight outside of what we give them, brain organizing data randomly and more or less without any cohesive reason. But, at the same time, even if that's true, there is still something to be said about why our brains would pick some things and not others, or perhaps why we'd remember some things and not others in our waking state. Could be just all random firings and imperfect memories, or maybe there is something more... um.. relevant to our subconscious.

Dreams are neat, no doubt. I wish I could start lucid dreaming again though, for about a month or 2 I was doing it, but then it stopped.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-24, 21:48

This year alone, I've dreamt
1) that someone (friend of mine, IIRC) shot me
2) that I watched gangsters kick my father off a cliff and let him die from falling
3) that I was part of the Nazi resistance and Hitler met me near our secret meeting place, but rather than have everyone exposed, I decided to have him kill me (before he did, he decided to sing with me, and strangely enough, I joined in)
amongst some other crazy stuff.

Oh, did I mention I occasionally hallucinate in the middle of the day about talking to my mom when I'm in the kitchen she used to spend most of her day at? (She died in Feb '03.)

Yeah, I guess I'm pretty fucked up at times.
¡Damned!

2005-10-24, 21:49

Good lord. I've never dreamed that I died. I've killed a bunch of people, sure, but never actually had the blade turned on me. Of course, I've had the 'OMFG I'm about to be deadened' dreams, but I wake from those generally, and if I don't my mind usually finds some way of turning the tables. Like the time I was falling from a bazillion miles up and actually landed. That kind of threw me a bit.

I have a few recurring dreams that are very odd. They're not recurring in the sense that I'm playing them over again...I'm actually revisiting the dreams at a later point depending on how long it's been since I've had the dream. Sometimes it's a few months, sometimes a year or so. But they all remember me, and I have to catch up mentally like I've left town for however long it's been. It takes me a short bit to get my bearings again, but once I do I'm back into it. I remember names, histories, friends, lovers, etc. It's almost like alternate realities. They're all very lucid...and very unnerving.

Whatever. At least I not plagued with the MMF like some people here.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-10-24, 21:50

Sometimes I have dreams that are *exactly* like what happened that day, or a few days ago. Then I have really weird dreams that include people I know. For example, I had one a few days ago in which my Literature teacher gave me a margarita in the middle of class.

¡Damned!

2005-10-24, 21:51

Is she hot?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-24, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I typically don't put any weight on dreams, but I have been unable to explain why I have been feeling kinda down today, I'm typically very happy and chipper. Then suddenly I remembered my dream and I'm thinking... perhaps it might have something to do with it? I don't typically have dreams involving death, especially not my death.
Not to sound like a psychiatrist, and I really don't know you much at all, but generally speaking, you're getting signs that your mind is trying to tell you something. Subconsciously, you have realized something, but it has yet to "click" with your consciousness. Here's what I'd suggest:

1) spend a while alone just thinking. Brainstorming. If that doesn't do anything, try doing random, casual stuff -- eating, showering, just laying down, or even working. If you've come to some conclusions as to what there's wrong:
2) Share it with good, close friends of yours. I know this can be very... strange when you've never done it -- believe me, I've been there just a few years ago (see my other post), but it can work. Chances are someone can give you pointers since they know something about you that you yourself haven't quite realized.

If you still don't have a clue or feel that everything's fine, maybe it is. Let it rest for a while. Wait for a second "hint" from your subconsciousness. And if that one does come, you absolutely need to do something.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-10-24, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Is she hot?
No, he's not.
¡Damned!

2005-10-24, 21:55

Whoops. Sorry.

Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-24, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Not to sound like a psychiatrist, and I really don't know you much at all, but generally speaking, you're getting signs that your mind is trying to tell you something. Subconsciously, you have realized something, but it has yet to "click" with your consciousness. Here's what I'd suggest:

1) spend a while alone just thinking. Brainstorming. If that doesn't do anything, try doing random, casual stuff -- eating, showering, just laying down, or even working. If you've come to some conclusions as to what there's wrong:
2) Share it with good, close friends of yours. I know this can be very... strange when you've never done it -- believe me, I've been there just a few years ago (see my other post), but it can work. Chances are someone can give you pointers since they know something about you that you yourself haven't quite realized.

If you still don't have a clue or feel that everything's fine, maybe it is. Let it rest for a while. Wait for a second "hint" from your subconsciousness. And if that one does come, you absolutely need to do something.
I shared it with the internet didn't I? who needs close friends when you've got the interbox!

All day I have done nothing but think about it, not the dream, but why I've been feeling glum. I laid around, thought about it, talked to some people, ate some food, experimented with some musical ideas, read some stuff, laid around, lifted weights, thought...etc. I even tried to apply the glumness to past things that have made me glum to see if it might be related to little effect. Shrug. Where's our resident Psychotrist when you need 'em

I hope I have realized something unconsciously but not consciously, because that would be exciting.
chucker

2005-10-24, 22:03

Quote:
I shared it with the internet didn't I? who needs close friends when you've got the interbox!

(Most of my friends I know through the internet. Aren't I pathetic. )
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-24, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker

(Most of my friends I know through the internet. Aren't I pathetic. )

I have enough real friends, but the internet is just so damn convenient towards blathering to people. It adequately sates my desire to spout my mouth off constantly
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-10-24, 23:05

I'm on the patch right now (feeble attempt to quit smoking) and a few times last week I went to bed with it on. I mentioned in Brad's night terror thread that I had a recurring dream that I was disemboweled and slowly bled to death. So sleeping on the patch caused that dream to happen about 10 times a night, but with a twist. This time every time I was slashed open I was pushed into an open grave and as I bled to death someone shoveled dirt on me till I died. Obviously I've stopped sleeping with the patch on.

Oddly, I was more afraid of dying in my dream than I was in real life when my heart actually did stop and I had to be gently nudged back to the land of the living. I guess it's more the circumstance of being butchered and buried alive.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-24, 23:33

Not sure I have ever died in a dream, normally I almost die, or the person thinks I'm dead but I manage to get the upper hand. Sometimes I will wake up from night mares when I was running and terrified, but again, I don't think ever dead.

I used to, I guess still do sometimes have reoccurring nightmares, to my knowledge one of maybe 3 in the span of years, can't say I have had one of those for a while, nor do I remember them now, but I'd be able to tell you after I just woke up from them.

In general, I don't really remember most dreams, and I don't normally have nightmares.

I guess this is what Brad was saying, but there is a school of thought that dreams mean NOTHING, it's just the brain sorting things out. This is what I think, although I've always liked the idea of lucid dreaming, but I've never been able to get it to work.

All said, you might just be tired when waking up from being killed in a dream because your waking up in a REM cycle.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-10-25, 00:20

A hippie ex flat-mate of mine claimed she could lucid dream. She always had the most amazing time asleep. Wish i could do that. My dreams suck. I can never remember them.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-25, 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav
My dreams suck. I can never remember them.

Then how come you can remember they suck
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-25, 05:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Whatever. At least I not plagued with the MMF like some people here.

Anywho, I notice that if I have lots of caffeinated beverage, I always have very realistic, vivid dreams that night, and I always remember them the next morning.

One time I dreamed that I woke up and went to school, came home and went to bed. Then when I really did wake up, I thought for a few minutes that an extra day had gone by.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-10-25, 06:30

Quote:
Then how come you can remember they suck
i meant they suck cause i can never remember them. I wish i could but i really don't much. Once in a blue moon.
Unch

2005-10-25, 10:25

The most disturbing dream I ever had was about a nuclear attack. I don't remember exactly how it started, but I'd returned home from school early because something had happened (an attack on London I think) my whole family was there and we were all really worried. I went outside of the house and there were lots of people in the street planning for how to deal with things.

Suddenly there was a flash in the distance and someone cries out "Oh my god they got xxxxx" Where I think xxxxx was Cornwall for some bizarre reason. Next there was a bigger brighter flash in front of me followed by a jet like noise that surrounded me, and I felt myself being hit by a blast wave. Then I felt myself tumbling and could see myself breaking up, sort of like those kids were at the beginning of Terminator 2. At which point I woke up.

When I returned home early from work on 11th September 2001 I had this really odd sense of Deja-Vu mixed in with all the other feelings. It wasn't until much later that I realised it was from this dream, where I'd felt the same worry, horror and anxiety before.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-10-25, 11:05

I had a dream a couple of months ago, in which i was in a club with some friends, and these people came in looking for one of them. I jumped in front of her and they shot me instead. Woke up with a cold wet feeling spreading across my chest. It kinda zoned me out all day.

Then a couple of weeks ago I was having the same dream over and over. At one point it happened 4 nights running, stopped one night then had it 3 nights running. It scared me and I wasn't able to sleep well. Basically, I was hunting some one down, chasing him through streets, even across the country. The dream would end, always int he same place, with him running down the street and me aiming a gun at his head and pressing on the trigger. It used to freak me out big time.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-10-25, 12:01

when i was little my friends convinced me that dreaming you died meant you would actually die that day. (this was confirmed by a number of friend of friend of friend tales; apparently many of the friends of my friends' friends died very young after dreaming they died and telling someone else about the dream) so a few weeks later i dreamt that i died. i remember nothign of the dream now, but it was certainly scary when it happened. being the little pussy that i was, i stayed in bed most of the day to avoid any potential danger. then, when i realized people could die in their sleep, i was nearly inconsoleable. i kept repeating teddy roosevelt over and over, "nothing to fear but fear itself," but retorting, "but i'm going to die today."

i've since come to believe that not everything you hear on the playground could be trusted.
Amadeus

2005-10-25, 15:35

I've never had a dream that I died.

Do have dreams with a recurring theme. Luckily sometimes they are very positive. I dream in color.

Not sure if I remember all my dreams. The one's that I remember occur just as I wake up.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-10-25, 15:55

I don't know but I think dreaming that you actually died might be a bad thing...

My friend dreamt that he tried to suicide himself after he was cornered.

I've never dreamt of dying, the worst has just be running away from a scary thing. Usually I just dream of being a kid and playing with my brother outside or in the house.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-25, 15:57

Last night I had a dream about a bunch of girls I've been with. So I think I'm all back to normal now.
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-10-25, 16:11

Quote:
Last night I had a dream about a bunch of girls I've been with. So I think I'm all back to normal now.
that dream makes everyone feel normal
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-10-25, 16:14

Man, I have some real doozies. My last memorable dream was a few months ago - me and my 4 year old daughter running and hiding among these docks and boats, with people shooting at us. I found a rifle and was returning fire, telling her everything was going to be okay... one guy jumped down in front of us and I had to kill him with my bare hands, I got shot in the leg, we hid in the water while a group of guys walked above on the dock... man the fucking thing wouldn't end.

I've always had wicked dreams. Major nightmares as a kid. My daughter has them pretty often too - I guess it has to have something to do with extreme genius.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-25, 16:14

Quote:
This is all part of becoming a man Wrao!

Normal / wet and sticky...it's all relative.