User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

itunes will not open!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
itunes will not open!
jkells2507

2006-12-24, 18:34

I have just recently purchased a 4 Gig ipod and i went to the itunes website to download itunes version 7.0.2. It said at the end of the download that it had been downloaded successfully and then i click on the icon but all it does is nothing. Could someone please help me with my problem?
jkells2507

2006-12-24, 19:07

i have a windows xp
about a year ago i completely rebooted my computer but i dont know if that will help you any
right now i have itunes ver. 6 (not sure about what version i have right now) and it works and plays music but i cant use it with my ipod because it says the ipod requires to have itunes version 7.0.2
i upgraded my itunes and it said it was successful but when i click on my icon all i get is an hourglass for a few seconds and the itunes icon blinks for a split second
i tried deleting all my itunes and redownloading it all but it still does the same thing
Can anyone help me with this problem?
almost2mac

2006-12-24, 22:39

I'm not familiar with iTunes on XP...you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling QuickTime.
jkells2507

2006-12-25, 00:38

i tried that but the same thing keeps happening
rob05au

Send a message via ICQ to rob05au Send a message via AIM to rob05au Send a message via Skype™ to rob05au 
2006-12-25, 01:31

Are you currently trying to install iTunes 7.0.2 on mac or PC?
jkells2507

2006-12-25, 11:05

i already have it installed but it wont open when i click on it, i have tried everyway to open it too
im on a pc
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-12-25, 15:36

Bring up the Task Manager and look in the Processes for the iTunes process, and another two which I can't recall - one is something to do with iPods. They are both reasonably obviously connected with iTunes. Cancel both of the processes, uninstall iTunes using the Add / Remove Programs section of the Control Panel, restart your PC and reinstall iTunes. Rinse and repeat.
jkells2507

2006-12-25, 17:02

^^tried that...still wont open
jkells2507

2006-12-28, 13:40

does anyone else have something that i could try to get it to work because it still wont open and i have no clue wat to do
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-12-28, 14:11

well Jkells
1) Go to add/remove and take away itunes and quicktime
2) go into C://Program files and find the itunes folder and delete it, and might as well do the quicktime one as well (dont touch anything else)
3)restart
4)re DL the itunes http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
5) install
6) restart then connect ipod and tell us what happnes

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2006-12-28, 14:12

umm... since it is windows... I would backup your files, format and reinstall windows. Do all the windows updates... then install iTunes...

Back when I did some IT work with windows... if the problem took longer to fix, then it would take to reimage the computer... we would just reimage it...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-12-28, 14:42

1. Back up your files.
2. Format & reinstall Windows
3. Advertise PC on eBay
4. Get A Mac
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-12-28, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsza View Post
umm... since it is windows... I would backup your files, format and reinstall windows. Do all the windows updates... then install iTunes...

Back when I did some IT work with windows... if the problem took longer to fix, then it would take to reimage the computer... we would just reimage it...
I dont think thats really helpful
danielsza

2006-12-28, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
I dont think thats really helpful
Sure it's helpful. Of course it's not the only way to do it, but it is what I would do.

I did a similar thing, last week, I was trying to get doaminkeys to work on my server... and well one of the rpm's that were a dependency screwed something up with php, so bad that apache didn't want to start.

So I did the same thing, made a backup... reinstalled sme server, and then restored my files using my backup... it was much faster then trying to find out why php stopped working...
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-12-28, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
1. Back up your files.
2. Format & reinstall Windows
3. Advertise PC on eBay
4. Get A Mac
But this is the most helpful comment thusfar. No sarcasm intended.
danielsza

2006-12-28, 21:02

That's very true... Not having problems like this is one of the reasons that I switched... a few years ago. And archive and install is also a very nice feature to have. But I think that I've only used it once it 4 years.