AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Screen Shot of Cursor in Safari

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Screen Shot of Cursor in Safari
Stroszek

Send a message via AIM to Stroszek  
2004-05-21, 11:14

Hi everyone!

I am using OS 9 because I can't afford a new computer. I am working on a portfolio website and would like the screen shots of websites to be in Safari because, well, it looks better than any other browser out there. I have used http://www.browsercam.com/ to get the screen shots, which works well, except for one thing - there are no cursors. This is fine most of the time, but there is one screen shot where I need the "finger" cursor. Would someone please open up Safari, hover over a link, and take a screen shot of the cursor? I would eternally be in your debt. Well, maybe not eternally, but at elast for a few days.

Thanks!
Defiant

Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant  
2004-05-21, 12:06

Stroszek

2004-05-21, 12:09

Thanks! You're the best!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-21, 12:10

Wow, that's service!
Defiant

2004-05-21, 12:19

Btw, this wasn't as easy as it looks now. Try to make a screenshot of the cursor in OS X an you'll be disappointed. If you do it with cmd-shift-3, you'll never even see a cursor. And if you try to do it with Grab.app, then you only have a handful of cursors to choose from, but not the one you wanted.

After I tried various applications to capture the cursor, I finally settled with SnapzProX. That did the job. Luckily the message "UNLICENSED VERSION OF SNAPZPROX" printed in bold, blue letters didn't cover the cursor. So then I had that one snapshot I wanted, but with letters all over it. I opened it with Preview and cropped everything out, dragged it into OmniGraffle, made a nice box, and exported it as .png. Then I only had to upload it and paste it here.

Service indeed!
Stroszek

2004-05-21, 12:32

Wow! You really are the best! Since you went through all of that trouble, I think I'll be endebted to you for a whole week instead of a few days

But really, all kidding aside, thanks a lot.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-21, 12:33

Could you have saved about 18 steps if you had just marqueed - in SnapzPro - the area you wanted to shoot (the hand) and have the shots SnapzPro takes automatically default to JPEG, GIF or format of your choice and be done with it, avoiding the cropping, the trips to Preview, Omnigraffle, etc.?

A lot of heavy lifting there!
Defiant

2004-05-21, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroszek
But really, all kidding aside, thanks a lot.
No problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
A lot of heavy lifting there!
Well, first I even had to get SnapzProX, because that wasn't in my repertoire. And the way to get Snapz was to try out everything else I had to see if it could do the job.

And I know that Snapz has a lot of features and preferences, but I had just downloaded it, and I wasn't really familiar with it. And it had to go fast.
I also couldn't crop the image in the first place, because that would've given me a nice 'text' over the whole image, rendering it useless. So it was necessary to go all these steps, and in the end it only accumulates to about four steps (Make snapshot with Snapz, crop in Preview, edit in OmniGraffle (just for fun), upload) without the ones I needed to find Snapz.

Service comes a long way, you know.

But for the next time I know how to do it. (Get this man a wife!)

Last edited by Defiant : 2004-05-21 at 12:47. Reason: pscates always has something to add... grmbl ;)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-21, 13:04

Ahh, I see. No prob...

SnapzPro is really great, and if you do ANY sort of stuff that requires taking good, controlled pics of the screen on a semi-regular basis, I highly recommend springing for it! Great little program!
Defiant

2004-05-21, 13:19

Well, I do have a sponsor now, don't I? Stroszek?
Stroszek

2004-05-21, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant
(Get this man a wife!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant
Well, I do have a sponsor now, don't I? Stroszek?
Whoa! Was that a proposal?! I really appreciate what you did, and I'm sure you're cute, but I'm already taken. Sorry
Defiant

2004-05-21, 13:30

Uh, no. You got that wrong.

The comment about the wife was meant for pscates, because he has time to bicker and snicker around () and has undying love for Mrs. Vieira (some TV host), and if he had a wife, that certainly wouldn't be the case anymore... although murbot and g think otherwise..

And the sponsor thing was for you, because 'scates suggested that I should buy it Snapz, and I thought "Hmm... Stroszek can buy it for me!".

Stroszek

2004-05-21, 13:37

You mean you picked pscates over me?! Man, now I know how all the losers on those dating shows feel.

/* Obligatory end of show snide comments */
Honestly, I can't believe that he didn't pick me! Well, if he wants to be with pscates then fine! I'm better than all of them anyway! I'll find myself a real man and show them. Yeah. *sniff*
/* End obligatory end of show snide comments */

Man, I watch Fifth Wheel way too often.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-21, 13:44

Ha...leave me out of this conversation!

We go through phases at work: super-busy to super laidback. We happen to be in an ultra-laidback period right now (magazine just shipped to printer, and this is my get re-organized, back-up, Disk Doctor-running week), combined with the absence of my boss this week AND the newness of AI.org.

Wife or no wife has little to do with my activity - or lack thereof - here.

But if I had a wife (or even a serious, steady girlfriend), I probably would post less in the evenings. That's a no-brainer...

But I ain't lookin' and I like my current situation just fine...
Defiant

2004-05-21, 15:09

pscates is da man!1!!1!1!!!

And just to clear things up: I didn't choose either one, I wasn't even asking. I was just suggesting for 'scates to get a shag. That's all.