AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Music Server/Cheap Desktop

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Music Server/Cheap Desktop
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-09, 05:58

Hello all,

I'm looking to get a cheap desktop to act as a Music Server, Printer Server and maybe do a little websurfing etc etc to compliment the two Powerbooks we have. It'll be in the office, so it will be visible to folks that come round. My options as I see it:

a) an Old Powermac G4 - advantage being that it'll have room inside for internal HDs and probably quite cheap off Ebay.
b) An iMac G4 - I just love the way they look, and I assume that they'll be reasonable now the iMac G5s have been bumped. Plus, don't have to buy a screen.
c) A mini. Obviously, getting an up-to-date model with warranty, etc etc is good. Plus, they look kinda cute too.

I already have an 80GB firewire external, so HD space isn't a huge issue (I reckon there's about 60GB or so of Music to serve) and I have a Tiger Family Pack, so no up-to-date OS issues. What would you go for? If it's the Powermac, which one?

Ta

Bryson

EDIT: Obviously, Airport Extreme is a must! I already have an Airport Express, but I'd like that to connect to the Stereo and as a booster station.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-09, 08:14

I think that any of your options would be good for your needs. The PowerMac could, as you say, also house the existing harddisk (and perhaps more if needed), so that would be an argument for it. The Mini is a lot sexier, though But it may not look as good with lots of cables attached.