User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

XBox 360... anyone else laughing their ass off?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
XBox 360... anyone else laughing their ass off?
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-12, 20:49

Watching the MTV rollout, and I just keep rolling my eyes. They made this huge deal about The Ring... y'see, the power button *gasp* *GLOWS* when it's on! Talk about innovative!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-12, 21:02

:shrug: Looks great. I'll get one and the new PlayStation too. And whatever Nintendo offers.

I don't see any of them as being laughable.
abraham

2005-05-12, 21:55

hee hee... I laughed their too. I actually wasn't very impressed at anything i saw. the total design was revolutionary... a tower!! who coulda thought!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-12, 21:56

It also lays flat.
abraham

2005-05-12, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
It also lays flat.
NO WAY!!!
omem

2005-05-12, 22:00

is it really that white tower of the "spy pictures" we saw the other day? wow...that's horrible. Did they fire the designers? o.O
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-12, 22:03

Oh no, they had the lead designer on and showed off some of the prototypes. Trust me, that really *was* the best they could come up with.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-12, 22:03

Fun to mindlessly make fun of Microsoft ain't it?
abraham

2005-05-12, 22:04

I liked how the uber-gamer wouldn't agree that he lost... he kept on denying it...
omem

2005-05-12, 22:07

Quote:
Fun to mindlessly make fun of Microsoft ain't it?
uhm, it's just ugly.
spec-wise? i dont know. won't buy a console, so i havent even checked...and i dont even would know if its good or bad for a console.

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
Apple Communities: LiveJournal | Last.fm
My sites: Glassjaw.net | HeadAutomatica.net
abraham

2005-05-12, 22:08

anywho... I cant wait till E3, when the veterans release their consoles
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-12, 22:09

It's a box. It plays games. Is it supposed to be a RealDoll™ so you can undress it and screw it?

What did people want? An orb? A triangle? A torus? Just curious, really.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
omem

2005-05-12, 22:11

i don't know..i was expecting something black and elegant.
DrGruv

specs

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm

the rollout was a waste and a joke...

1 teraflop is cool

take it apart and make a mac!
abraham

Quote:
It's a box. It plays games. Is it supposed to be a RealDoll™ so you can undress it and screw it?

What did people want? An orb? A triangle? A torus?
no.... we want the innovative tower!!!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-12, 22:18

No, just something that wasn't butt ugly, and passed off as innovative. I don't think that's too much to ask. *shrug* (I mean come *on*, they actually made a big deal about the glowing power button. Seriously. That was a Big Deal for them. Tell me you don't think that's a little... sad.)

As usual, it's the hype that is nauseating to me, but then, I'm not a gamer, so I can't really say I care.

I'm much more interested in the guts of the thing... for which they said *not a word*. Not one. Nada. The whole show was basically showing the case, (but not the controller... anyone else notice that?) and screenshots of games which at this stage are almost certainly simulated to some degree.

All in all, a pretty lame show, but then I'm not sure what I was expecting. Oh yeah, content. Ah well. I guess we might start to see that trickling out next week at E3. Should be interesting.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-12, 22:20

Who's the more foolish, Microsoft, of the one that expects Microsoft to be innovative? You EXPECTED something innovative case-wise?

I'm not defending MS or the XBOX 360. But I'm also not going to automatically rip it apart "just because" it's Microsoft or non-Sony/non-Nintendo.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-12, 22:22

Kick I'm more talking about the case/design/specs, and abe's somewhat predictable antagonism thereof, not the "rollout" hype stupidity.

Of course, he's free to hate it.

omem

2005-05-12, 22:22

Sega Saturn, the 1rst version, kicks this xbox's design

.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-05-12, 22:33

What I don't understand is the freaking a horrible controllers these idiots keep producing. I can't believe someone hasn't gotten the memo that says "Holy crap! Your controllers suck major ass, why don't you try designing much more ergonomic and cool!" I'm just at a loss for words that the Xbox guys haven't figured that they need to totally redo the controllers. The new system also looks awful... in this day and age, I was expecting something that just looked different. This kinda fits into the "run-of-the-mill-unoriginal-gaming-console" design. I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but there was so much hype I figured this thing would look kick ass.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-12, 22:34

I gotta admit, when I saw the pics, I was like "That's gotta be a joke, right? I mean come on... that's... naw, this has gotta be a joke."

Nope. *shrug*

I wonder if they improved the controller design? The new one is supposed to be based on the 'S' model (ie, the smaller one because the original one was made for Andre the Giant and Chewbacca), which is a start, but... again, I have to respond with a hearty *shrug*.
CitizenTony

2005-05-12, 23:00

I thought it looked failry nice, at least better than the PS2 and current Xbox. It'll fit into my entertainment center just fine, and won't be the ugliest thing in there, either.

For some specs and other such stuff, read this. Sounds pretty nice to me.

The show was a joke. No real info, crappy music, "pro" gamers, etc... I wish they had just shown it inside and out, shown what it can do, and explained why the power button was so cool (since it looked just like a power button to me). Though, I suppose the majority of viewers, majorly 11 years old, would have lost intrest too fast and switched back to battling seizure robots.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-05-12, 23:58

I didn't see the special, but honestly did you expect anything more than marketing propoganda? They wanted to use the party scene to make it look cool to a certain crowd and they did it. Hell, it probably even worked (they're targeting my age group, but I'm not a partier and I don't even have cable TV, so they didn't do anything to me ).

Have you guys seen the games for this yet? The games look amazing. Go over to http://xbox360.ign.com and check out some of the games (particularly 2 Days to Vegas and Ghost Recon). I would buy one... but I'm pretty happy with the XBox games I have now, so if it's not going to be backwards-compatible (I guess we'll find out at E3), I'm not buying one--at least not for a few months.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-13, 07:21

To me the box looked like a Dell desktop turned on its side and spray painted white. The controllers looked like they were based on the 'S' controller design. At least the one 2 second shot while the 'pro gamer' was playing made it look like an 'S' controller.

The fact that the controllers are wireless out of the box is really cool to me. I thought MS got the wired controllers right when they built in that little break point in the cable to keep the cable from ripping the XBox out of your entertainment stand once you rapped it around your foot while crossing the room. That saved my butt a couple of times.

The MTV show totally sucked ass though. This release should've been done on G4 TV. At least they would've gotten more than 2 seconds worth of gameplay video and actual content instead of 2 songs by Teh Killers!!! (Kermit voice) Yayyyyyy!!!!!!! Elijah Wood as MC? Gak! Gak! and more Gak! Painful.

I'm so glad I recorded it on my DVR so I could fast forward through all the crap while I was feeding my son this morning. Took maybe 10 minutes to catch the important stuff. It would've been less if I had realised before-hand the MS doods weren't gonna talk tech specs and the interview at Rare was gonna be about money grubbin gamers talkin' smack.
abraham

2005-05-13, 09:24

Quote:
Kick I'm more talking about the case/design/specs, and abe's somewhat predictable antagonism thereof, not the "rollout" hype stupidity.

Of course, he's free to hate it.
Actually, I will probably end up buying one... because Oblivion looks very neat.

I get caught up in one game. I buy all nintendo systems for Zelda. I buy All PS systems for Metal Gear and GTA. Now I will have to start buying the X-BOXERs...

Radiohead!!!
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-13, 12:01

I didn't even pay attention to the MTV event. I wasn't expecting anything less than the unveiling taking third chair to the Latest Crappy Band™ and lifestyle branding.

While still mostly marketing fluff, there were a few nice details in this video, from Microsoft's 'edgy' OurColony online ad campaign.

The design is, yes, uninspired, but it is a lot better than the previous xbox was. (I do think it will look better in person.) All the specs seem like they'll get the job done until the next rev. What is undeniable though, is that XBox Live has produced the best online gaming experience of any console thus far. A lot of the new features seem positioned to extend that experience.

You can laugh at the MTV event and you can laugh at the design of the console, but Microsoft has made a good product and they are gaining ground in the gaming industry. Most of the games I've wanted to play have come out on XBox and it's primarily because of the Live functionality. If they announce backward compatibility, I'll likely be an early adopter.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Random Hero

2005-05-13, 12:17

Whatever, looks gay, doesn't really look like what I envisioned something being called the '360' to look like. But I don't care, I was never an X-Box gamer. Plus, at least something is going on in technology, it's been kinda boring since Google's DNS fscked up Saturday.

I have the attention span of a drunk turtle.

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-13, 12:30

Y'know, what that box really reminds me of is a Performa. 62xx line, I think.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-13, 13:22

I want one.

No seriously, it looks awesome. Lots of power, wireless controllers, and most importantly, a free online gaming service. For better or worse, the XBox is the reigning champion of the online console gaming market, with Sony only making small inroads and Nintendo basically ignoring it completely. I always thought having to pay for XBox Live was kind of silly, even though you did get a very nice online service and a headset to boot. Now that there's a free option for it, I'm warming up to the idea much more.

I've wanted an XBox for several months now, but I've held off in anticipation of the new one. I'm glad I waited. I'll be getting a second job and saving up for one of these. And hell, maybe I can even save up enough for a widescreen HDTV (hah!).
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-13, 13:27

playing games online still requires a paid subscription. the only online access for free you get with xbox 360 is creating a user name and using it to chat. not very useful at all.