AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Biggest Pet Peeves?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Biggest Pet Peeves?
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-15, 09:35

From another thread, I just wanted to see what pet peeves people on here had.

I have a few, all to do with the english language.

1. When someone uses "your" to mean "you're (you are)"

2. When someone uses "there" to mean either "their" or "they're (they are)"

3. When someone uses "to" "too" or "two" wrong. Very simple to understand in my opinion.

Those are my three. I don't know why they bother me so much, but they do.

Anyone else?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-15, 09:43

Almost any mangling of the homonyms annoys me so much. "Bare" for "Bear", "Here" for "Hear", "There" for "Their".

I think they get on my goat because they're IMO fairly common words, so it's kind of expected that one would be able to know the correct spelling of each and know which is which. I'm much more lenient when trying to spell funky words, but those words? Come on! No English speaker can say they don't use those words more than 1000 times a day!

Maybe it's time to do what French did: get ourselves a language council.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-08-15, 09:57

Screwing up apostrophe's. Whoops, I meant apostrophes. Any misuse, including using "it's" instead of "its," bothers me to no end.

It really bothers me when people aren't really paying attention to their surroundings. I'm naturally a very aware person, especially in, say, a car. So when the person driving is in the left lane and going the same speed as the traffic in the right lane (i.e. he's not paying attention and doesn't notice that he's blocking traffic) I feel like I have to tell them. Any other situation where I notice things that most people don't tends to be bad. It's especially bad with my friends since most of them are really inattentive.

Oh yeah, and my biggest pet peeve of my girlfriend is how she would comb her hair in the morning and then not pick up all the hair that fell on the floor. Over the course of a few days that part of the floor started looking like a carpet unless I cleaned it up for her.
¡Damned!

2007-08-15, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Those are my three. I don't know why they bother me so much, but they do.
I'm guessing that you have Windowsrookie on your Ignore List.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-15, 10:11

I actually don't have anyone on my Ignore List.

I need some humor every now and then, and the people that I would put on that list are usually the ones that provide it for me.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-08-15, 10:17

Peeves the poltergeist

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Perfecting_Zero

2007-08-15, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Oh yeah, and my biggest pet peeve of my girlfriend is how she would comb her hair in the morning and then not pick up all the hair that fell on the floor. Over the course of a few days that part of the floor started looking like a carpet unless I cleaned it up for her.
We must have the same girlfriend.. so to speak.
GladToBeHere

2007-08-15, 10:26

I get annoyed at Apple geeks that constantly freak out when new products aren't exactly as their personal tastes would dictate.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-15, 10:51

My "Big 8":

• Talkers in movies...STFU!
• Cell phone abusers
• Condescending, hyper-P.C. types who like to lecture "the rest of us"
• "Reality" TV...the worst thing ever, for so many reasons
• Dane Cook and Kevin Smith, and the people who think they're funny
• Graceless, spazzy geeks with no manners or basic social skills
• Vain, arrogant people...especially those with no visible reason(s) for being so
• "Money" people/vapid yuppie types
Anonymous Coward

2007-08-15, 11:23

People who ask, "Aren't you going to do such and such?" when you've already done that, or particularly when you happen to obviously be in the middle of doing it.
Enki

2007-08-15, 11:39

Whiners.

Closely followed by morons who screw something up because they couldn't be bothered to read something critical. Like a homework task description. And then complain they don't know what to do. The effing task description is a goddamn checklist YOU MORONS!!!

OK, maybe I got those out of order. Today...
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-08-15, 11:44

People who say "I seen" instead of "I saw"
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-08-15, 12:26

My biggest pet peeve is people who don't use their turn signal (when driving), I mean its not that hard to hit that little knob to turn it on... seriously. I've heard of all kinds of excuses on this, but frankly I don't buy a single one of them. Whenever I see it I want to send the person back to driving school. One of my friends doesn't use his signals often, so I bug him all the time when I'm riding with him.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-15, 12:34

Yeah, that would be my ninth one, the turn signal thing. It's this little stick that is right there beside the steering wheel, where, hopefully, your hands already are. So how hard is it for people to reach with their pinky or whatever and use the damn thing, especially in heavy traffic, where lane changes, turn-offs, sidestreets, etc. all come into play?

I can understand if the turn signal controls were located in the back seat or beneath the front passenger seat or something, but jeez...they're RIGHT THERE, begging to be used!

People who just slow down, with no sort of warning - in the form of a turn signal - to those behind them, to turn into a parking lot or another street are such asshats. And if you're on the freeway and you're wanting to make a lane change at 70mph, guess what? I can't read your mind, so why not help me (and the rest of us) out a bit and let us know you're trying to scoot over? Chances are, I'm gonna let you. Why do you feel like you suddenly have to dart over, with no warning or cue, and scare the living hell out of everyone around you? If you signal like a somewhat clued-in human being, I'll back off a bit and let you over. And then you won't have to engage in any sort of wild-ass stunt driving, or precision moves ("Ooh, I've got about 11 inches of clearance...I think I can squeeze in!").

That's how bad things - called "wrecks" - happen.

There are days when I can count the "near misses" on nearly two hands, just because of stupid stuff like this. People choosing to not do something as simple as use a turn signal - or wait their turn at a four-way stop, or pull out in front of me when they had no real time or room to do so, causing me to have to stand on my brakes and brace for possible impact - are just idiots.

They probably come to complete stops on freeways too. Seems to fit a pattern...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-08-15 at 12:44.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-08-15, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
People who say "I seen" instead of "I saw"
I feel especially sorry for those people when they say "I seen" or "I had went" on national television, when being interviewed with regard to some once-in-a-lifetime incident that they happened to witness. (Recent bridge tragedy, for example.)

There, on tape for all time and for their posterity, are recorded their appalling grammatical atrocities.

Pet peeves:

The first that springs to mind is when I'm sitting at a light, waiting to make a left turn, and waaaaiting for the lone car approaching from the opposite direction... waiting and waiting... and then, suddenly, right as they get to the intersection, they turn on their blinker (for 'one' blink) and make a right turn... after *all* that time I spent waiting for them to drive straight through the intersection so that I could turn left. SO inconsiderate.

I hate pickups (and believe me, it's *always* a pickup! ) that practically crawl up my back bumper when I'm already driving at least 70mph in the *slow* lane (on the freeway).
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-08-15, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
My biggest pet peeve is people who don't use their turn signal (when driving), I mean its not that hard to hit that little knob to turn it on... seriously. I've heard of all kinds of excuses on this, but frankly I don't buy a single one of them. Whenever I see it I want to send the person back to driving school. One of my friends doesn't use his signals often, so I bug him all the time when I'm riding with him.
In my driving I was told not to use the indicator unless it would affect other road users.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2007-08-15, 12:41

Yeah, pickups, SUVs, I don't like any of them. Unless you really need it, get a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
In my driving I was told not to use the indicator unless it would affect other road users.
When was that though? In my driving school we were taught to use the signal all the time, its a good habit, simply because you cannot always see the other drivers, and pedestrians around you.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-08-15, 12:44

Quote:
Yeah, pickups, SUVs, I don't like any of them. Unless you really need it, get a car.

When was that though? In my driving school we were taught to use the signal all the time, its a good habit, simply because you cannot always see the other drivers, and pedestrians around you.
This was for my Advanced Driving Course. Using them all the time suggests that you are not aware of your surroundings and that you are on autopilot. At least that is the impression I got.
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-15, 12:49

I have a lot of driving peeves. I could write a book about it, I'm sure.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-08-15, 12:54

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more pedestrian friendly roadways, but there are times where I find myself seriously considering vehicular homicide.

This happens about 90% of time on campus. You'll be breezing along, being alert, watching people walk along the sidewalks. You think, there are no crosswalks around, no one could cro-AGH HOLY SHIT! *screech* and some dude with headphones stuffed in his ears casually strolls across the roadway, often after emerging from a patch of bushes. You sit there, inches from him, thankful no one rear-ended you.

Crosswalks are there for a reason, you can't just cross anywhere on the road and expect people to be cool with it.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-08-15, 12:56

In public washrooms...guys that don't wash their hands after taking a leak.

I mean come on dudes...you just had your Johnson in your hand and you then leave the washroom touching the door knob.
I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but this is just disgusting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-08-15, 12:57

Quote:
Well, it's *not* the vehicle that's at fault, of course. It's the idiot 'in' it. Lots of people here have good reason to 'have' such vehicles. I just find an inordinate number of rude drivers that just happen to be in pickups. 'Acting' like a redneck is not a strict requirement, even for those who actually happen to 'be' rednecks. Grrr.

Quote:
Yes, I do agree. I feel that it's always wise to use one's signal. It certainly can't *hurt* to do so; it's indeed a good habit to get into; and sometimes it won't be a car that sees your signal, but a pedestrian.

I know of a 13 yr.old on a bicycle who was killed on the spot by a car making a right turn onto a busy street... probably without signalling. Poor kid.

The kid's friend raced to the injured boy's nearby house and got his father. The boy went into spasms in his father's arms and died on the spot. It was just... horrible.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-15, 13:02

Ever deal with someone who, when they're in a stressful situation, absolutely shuts down?

I mean I'll say, "hey, which are you going to use, paper or plastic? You'll be late for your own birthday party!"

They say.... nothing. They just take on a thousand-yard stare and become unresponsive. The more you try to snap them out, the deeper their mind retreats. Know that one?

There's also perpetual denial, a.k.a., losing focus and fixing the wrong problem peeve:

"Our budget came back 10% over, and we need to either downgrade the railing or the ceiling. Which alternate system would you prefer?"

"....why can't we reduce the lighting?"

"Because any less lighting and people will be walking into walls. So which is it?"

"Can we take out some lights?"

"No."

"We need to rework the lighting. How did the lighting get so elaborate?"

Then there's the obsess over inane details peeve.

"The river is overflowing! Help me sandbag the front door, and then we'll climb up to the roof to safety!"

"I better make sure I have clean towels!"

Finally, there's the always assume the worst peeve:

"Hey, sorry I didn't get your email sooner."

"Were you that guy who murdered the family in their home? Seems like it happened around the same time."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-15, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I feel especially sorry for those people when they say "I seen" or "I had went" on national television, when being interviewed with regard to some once-in-a-lifetime incident that they happened to witness. (Recent bridge tragedy, for example.)

There, on tape for all time and for their posterity, are recorded their appalling grammatical atrocities.
Yeah, that's what I call the Tornado Witness Interview Syndrome (TWIS)...everytime a tornado strikes around here (we don't get them in Chattanooga proper, thank goodness, but in a lot of the outlying counties they can be a real danger).

Anyway, the local news crew travels there to get some footage and interviews. And it never fails (in fact, I think they seek it out...I really do, for their own twisted kicks) that they always - always - choose the one person who is the least capable of putting together a coherent sentence, and who looks like something from another dimension.

I call it The Interview Uniform®: muscle shirt (with one of three NASCAR drivers: Dale Jr., Dale, Sr. or Mark Martin), some sort of ball crap - camouflage pattern - with disgusting graphic/phrase of a sexual or racial nature (which has to be pixelated in editing), mullet, homemade tattoo of the Chevy logo and, of course, smoking (or, if you get lucky, they'll actually have a can of beer at 9:45am).

"I done seen that big dang ol' wall of clouds, and I told them there kids to get on inside. Then I heared what sounded like a freight train*. It like to scared me plum half-to-death. I ain't never saw nothing like it nowhere. We're just glad it only carried off two of the kids...the other nine, they's safe over yonder."

If you're really lucky, you'll get a few bleeped passages.

"Sir, we're from Eyewitness Action First News 10, and can you tel..."

"Buddy, I don't give a sweet flyin' [beeeeep]...look at my [beeeeep] yard!"

* Always the go-to audio description of a tornado. I'm really hoping they'll come across someone someday who goes for a bit of originality/honesty and says "Freight train, my ass...it sounded like a whole lotta strong fuckin' wind, tearin' all my shit up!"

Fingers crossed...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-15, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
In public washrooms...guys that don't wash their hands after taking a leak.

I mean come on dudes...you just had your Johnson in your hand and you then leave the washroom touching the door knob.
I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but this is just disgusting.
It could be worse.

And I'm sure, oftentimes, it is.

I refuse to enter bathrooms at Mexican restaurants. I just don't want to be exposed to that horror, and the possibilities it represents.

I've been in a few situations where I'm at a urinal or the sink, and some guy comes lumbering out of a stall after completely fouling the place up. I mean bad. And he just checks himself in the mirror and walks out the door. The water never even came on! He didn't even pretend to wash his hands after the aural/olfactory spectacle he just presented to the world.

I've actually lost my appetite at places because of stuff like this. I'll come back out and just pick at my food, afraid to honestly answer my friends' "why aren't you eating?" questions because I don't want to make them sick too.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2007-08-15, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more pedestrian friendly roadways, but there are times where I find myself seriously considering vehicular homicide.

This happens about 90% of time on campus. You'll be breezing along, being alert, watching people walk along the sidewalks. You think, there are no crosswalks around, no one could cro-AGH HOLY SHIT! *screech* and some dude with headphones stuffed in his ears casually strolls across the roadway, often after emerging from a patch of bushes. You sit there, inches from him, thankful no one rear-ended you.

Crosswalks are there for a reason, you can't just cross anywhere on the road and expect people to be cool with it.
Agreed, I find bikers to be the worst at that. I'll be driving along and then the biker just scoots across the road right in front of me! A few weeks ago I was driving through town, when a biker shot across an intersection, he used the crosswalk (how nice of him), but the light was red for the direction he was going! I felt like saying, buddy, the traffic laws apply to bikers too (which they do here). Nearly hit the guy, luckily he we saw each other soon enough and I slowed down while he turned into the oncoming left hand turn lane. Thankfully the driver behind me must have seen the idiot too because he slowed down as well.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-08-15, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Ever deal with someone who, when they're in a stressful situation, absolutely shuts down?

I mean I'll say, "hey, which are you going to use, paper or plastic? You'll be late for your own birthday party!"

They say.... nothing. They just take on a thousand-yard stare and become unresponsive. The more you try to snap them out, the deeper their mind retreats. Know that one?
Oh man, I absolutely hate that. I was working with an umpire who wasn't too good, and he did this at a close call at first. I thought that I missed him making the call, but no, he hadn't called anything. Of course, everybody started yelling because they wanted a call, but this guy was gone. I hustled over and asked him what he called, and he said he didn't know. I asked him what he thought it was, and again he just gave me a blank look. I asked him if he saw the play, and he nodded. I was couldn't figure this guy out.

Finally I just had to call the kid safe, using the assumption that it was a tie, which usually goes to the runner.

It is just weird when someone just won't talk.
Boomerangmacuser

2007-08-15, 13:19

Incorrect spelling of stationery. i.e. I'm off to Staples to purchase some stationnary. Drives me nuts.

Stationery: Paper and pencils.
Stationary: Not moving.

Brad has his apostrophe's', I have my stationary.
Is it 1981?

2007-08-15, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
I was taught the same thing when I was learning; this was about five/ six years ago, now. I questioned him on that and he said it was a an extremely common mistake to always signal - apparently if you signal while no one's around, it's marked as a minor fault. But I've not driven at all since I got my licence.

edit: this is in the UK, btw.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-08-15, 13:51

Yous guys. Or is it you's guys? When I hear people say this I can only assume that they are among the dumbest people on earth.

Quote:
Did yous guys see that movie? It was sweeeeet!
Fuckers.