User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Broken iPod nano. Genius Bar?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Broken iPod nano. Genius Bar?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-17, 22:38

I have a broken iPod nano. It went thru the wash and now the click wheel doesn't work. Everything else works, it updated and transfers songs, the Display works too. Will apple still repair it? Replace it? It's pretty scratched up so a new one would be nice.


Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-17, 22:44

It's easy for a technician to see water damage in a device like that. If if could be repaired, you'd be paying a hefty fee. You'd probably be better off just buying a new one.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-17, 22:52

If it's under warranty and the click wheel doesn't work then I'm sure they would.

If they know you washed it, that's a whole different story.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-17, 23:16

Would it be easy to tell even if everything but the click wheel works?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-17, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Would it be easy to tell even if everything but the click wheel works?
If theres water inside it? Yes. If there isnt? No. Leave it out to dry before you bring it in - but don't let it get too hot or it will damage the battery, or possibly melt internal components which would also be your fault.

As for the scratching? Well put one of these on it the second you take it out of the box. To remove scratches? Brasso works wonders but it will also knock you out unless you use it in a well-ventilated area. It will also take 45-60 minutes of nonstop polishing to really get 'em out.

One time I was sitting next to a dude who spilled white wine on his iBook 14" and didn't expect the geniuses to notice. While the computer was dry when he brought it in, its innards were sticky with wine. And there was no mistaking the aroma that wafted from the innards of the machine when the keyboard was removed. The guy feigned ignorance to the bitter end.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-17, 23:42

Most electric devices have small patches that change color when they're submerged. I wouldn't want to bet the nano doesn't.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-07-18, 01:22

Well I'll go down to MOA this weekend. I'll see what they say.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-18, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Most electric devices have small patches that change color when they're submerged. I wouldn't want to bet the nano doesn't.
I've never heard of those.

Mitch, let me know how it goes at the store. I wanna know if they know its water damage.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-07-18, 10:53

I've seen cell phones hat have the color change things in them.

Moral of this story: Don't dump electronics in water.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-18, 10:56

Probably a stupid question, but suppose you lived in Amazon jungle where humidity was %1,000% (Note that this is impossible as we're talking about relative humidity. Please look up hyperbole to fully appreciate the meaning here ), wouldn't the color change due to the humidity seeping into the devices?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-07-20, 02:12

Just messing around with it now, I forgot I had the fm radio/remote. and it plays music with the remote, you just can't go thru any menus.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-07-23, 14:38

Well, they gave me a new one for $30 . Anybody want to buy it?
peter5

2006-07-27, 10:48

Yes, I do! what are the specs??

Peter