User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Can't print good quality photos (iPhoto?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can't print good quality photos (iPhoto?)
fungolo

2006-10-21, 13:36

Hi,

I have a 12" iBook G4, a Canon IXUS 40 camera, an HP Photosmart 1315 printer and am using iPhoto to store, manage and print photos.

But I'm not having much success - the photos I print are always very grainy, despite looking flawless when viewed on the computer, even in large sizes. When I say grainy I mean almost like 'old newspaper photo' quality - there are extremely obvious coloured dots and subjects/background lack any real definition. Can you help?

BTW - My mum has the same printer and camera, but uses the camera's proprietry software on her PC - and gets great results. Is this the only way to go? I hope not as like Apple software and iPhoto's ease of use.

Also, I use the highest or second highest resolution setting on my camera - at 4.0 megapixel this should easily be enough to print a nice 6x4". Likewise I'm only trying to print the 'best' photos, I'm not struggling with blurry images here. The problem is grain and definition.

Please, can anyone help?

Thanks
The Mind

2006-10-21, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungolo View Post
Hi,

I have a 12" iBook G4, a Canon IXUS 40 camera, an HP Photosmart 1315 printer and am using iPhoto to store, manage and print photos.

But I'm not having much success - the photos I print are always very grainy, despite looking flawless when viewed on the computer, even in large sizes. When I say grainy I mean almost like 'old newspaper photo' quality - there are extremely obvious coloured dots and subjects/background lack any real definition. Can you help?

BTW - My mum has the same printer and camera, but uses the camera's proprietry software on her PC - and gets great results. Is this the only way to go? I hope not as like Apple software and iPhoto's ease of use.

Also, I use the highest or second highest resolution setting on my camera - at 4.0 megapixel this should easily be enough to print a nice 6x4". Likewise I'm only trying to print the 'best' photos, I'm not struggling with blurry images here. The problem is grain and definition.

Please, can anyone help?

Thanks
Hi

Are you using the OSX driver or has OSX autoconfiged

The driver can be found here

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar..._10.2-10.4.dmg
fungolo

2006-10-21, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mind View Post
Hi

Are you using the OSX driver or has OSX autoconfiged
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I set up the printer a year ago, and to be honest can't remember whether I downloaded the driver or not - is there a simple way for me to check?

BTW - I've had a play with the printer settings and have reduced the 'grain', but I'm still getting faint 'printer lines' on the image and the photos are much darker in print than they are on the computer. I'm having a look at ColorSync but seem to be finding more questions than answers.

As you can probably guess, I'm new to printing photos. Up until now I've just shared them via the comp. I need to get my head around it now! Can anyone offer some good links to get me started? Something that will help me get the best out of iPhoto and my printer? I'm starting with Photoshop, but that's another thread in itself....

Thanks.
The Mind

2006-10-21, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungolo View Post
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I set up the printer a year ago, and to be honest can't remember whether I downloaded the driver or not - is there a simple way for me to check?

BTW - I've had a play with the printer settings and have reduced the 'grain', but I'm still getting faint 'printer lines' on the image and the photos are much darker in print than they are on the computer. I'm having a look at ColorSync but seem to be finding more questions than answers.

As you can probably guess, I'm new to printing photos. Up until now I've just shared them via the comp. I need to get my head around it now! Can anyone offer some good links to get me started? Something that will help me get the best out of iPhoto and my printer? I'm starting with Photoshop, but that's another thread in itself....

Thanks.

Im not great on printers but go to printers in system prefs, click on the printer and tell me what it says. If your on broadband download the driver anyway as well - it will probibly be an updated version.

Steve