AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

I need a battery...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I need a battery...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-24, 15:34

So I need a new A1322 battery for an A1278 MBP 13". Apple wants $130 for parts and labor. iFixit wants $100 for battery and tools. I've seen some as low as ~$25 on Amazon that have horrible reviews. Somewhere in there is a good price for a good battery. I don't need the tools because I already have the trip-lobe special one needed for the batteries. In fact, I'm not even sure why Apple used the trip-lobe because the replacement of a battery is so simple that anyone who can turn a screwdriver can do it.

Anyway, anyone know a solid aftermarket battery that I can get? This one in Mrs T's MBP budged and might have also messed up her trackpad. Still trying to figure out if the trackpad is gone and I have to replace it too. No AppleCare needless to say.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-27, 23:14

So am I the only one here who's needed to replace a battery in a Mid 2012 MBP?

*sigh*
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-10-28, 00:16

I'd just go with Apple.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-10-28, 00:18

Who ARE you??

Last time I replaced a battery was never.

I wouldn't wander far from an authentic Apple battery, as you're buying recourse and reputation as well.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2015-10-28, 00:35

I did that cheap amazon battery gig. Barely lasted 6 months. Won't do that again. Before that I used BTI and those were great. Last I checked their prices came up quite a bit.

I got a actual Apple battery last time and I am not impressed. It lasted 15 months and took a fart. I am lucky to get 2 hours if I stay away form youtube. I'm not plunking down another $150 on batteries that used to last 3 years.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-10-28, 11:16

Naturally, you will hear arguments on both sides. I'm on the "get an Apple battery" side when it comes to the integrated parts. Too much trash floating around out there, and too little recourse.

We do very few battery replacements since Apple shifted to the 1000-cycle integrated batteries. In terms of a service part, these are the best batteries Apple has done.

The battery you're after isn't "packaged" and so the risk rises with 3rd party stuff. Yes, there are cheap-ass batteries, but I would compare them to the cheap-ass AA, C, D, etc. you find at the Dollar stores. Mostly junk. The trouble comes when sorting through the junk.

I have seen Apple batteries last a few weeks, but mostly I see them last several years. I'd rather take the risk with 1st party for integrated batteries. Your odds are much longer.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-28, 14:01

Yeah, I was hoping to get some others who have gone before m on this one. I hate that I'm completely capable of making changes and upgrades to my equipment but forced to pay the designer for them to do it. There are like three screws to remove and a connector for these batteries. They charge $30 or so in labor.

So then you look through Amazon and see a company like Anker making a replacement battery for $55 and figure how bad can it be?

Then I called my local Mac shop to see if they would sell me the battery only and they won't because Apple won't let them. I have to pay them $170 for them to make the swap. Needless to say, they agreed with me going to the Apple Store to have it done.

There has to be a better way for someone with the right tools, skills and knowledge to make this kind of basic change.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-10-28, 16:28

I'm surprised they're adding labor to the charge. We don't.

Yeah, I don't typically recommend the Apple Store, but in that case I would.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-28, 16:47

So would you guys sell just the battery? I'm not asking so you can ship on all the way across the country, just wondering if you would be willing to.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-10-28, 17:27

Unfortunately, Apple won't sell us the battery until we have a repair scheduled through GSX.

Otherwise, I'd hook you up!

"No parts direct to the customer, period."

Honestly, their thinking is that a customer will foul up the install (which happens) and then blame/sue Apple for their mistake (which happens) so the condition of our service contract with Apple says we cannot sell Apple service parts to the customer unless we install it. End of story, and failure to comply results in our service department getting the kaputzka!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-28, 19:15

It is failed logic if you asked me. Sure it will only impact people like me who would do the repair themselves and do it just fine. So now I need to figure out what battery to get...

For now my wife's MBP is running just fine with no battery in it at all. Just can't accidentally unplug it or of course it drops off immediately.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-10-28, 21:36

I would look around online to see if there are any third-party battery suppliers with decent reviews. (I have seen a couple.) If so, I would take a chance with them. Their batteries are cheap enough that even if the battery you get turns out not to be stellar, you won't have lost very much. And if the battery is good, then you win. Do your research carefully, but don't assume that all third-party vendors sell crap just because most of them do.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-05, 21:05

So, I have an "Apple did an amazing thing again!" comment.

I took my wife's to the GB today so I could let Apple do the swap. While waiting for the Genius to come out and assist me I put the MBP on the table and the battery on top of it. A few people came over an marveled at the fact that I pulled the battery.

When the Genius came over he asked why I removed it and I explained how it was so my wife could use her machine. I explained about the swelling of the battery and malformation of the trackpad. He felt the trackpad popped up and said he would do a diagnostic on it and let me know what was the next step. I told him I was ok with paying the $130 for the battery swap if needed.

He came back a little later and said he had good and bad news. The bad news is that my battery was to old for swelling coverage. The good news was that he dropped the battery in the back and cracked the case on it. That meant he couldn't give it back to me and had to replace it for free.

Good job Apple! At least I'm very thankful that the Genius dropped it.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2015-11-05, 22:46

I've used apple's repair thing twice and I was pleased with the repairs both time even though I choke at the price tag. For my laptop they found things I didn't even know were broken so that was nice. I just sent in an iPad because the battery swelled and popped the glass screen clean off. Was $140ish iir, but instead of repairing the battery, they exchanged it for a refurbished unit that has worked great. Our family like to repair vs. replace so I was a tad bummed I didn't give the bugger new life, but all worked out.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-11-06, 08:51

Mine wasn't for a battery but I took my MBP in for a video card recall over the summer and they confirmed it was the issue. When I went to pick it up, they told me they had to replace the whole motherboard and the retina screen because they fixed a wifi antenna issue as well. They said because they didn't quote me on this job and told me that the original issue was covered under a replacement program, they did all the work and the parts for free. Was very pleasantly surprised.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-11-07, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So, I have an "Apple did an amazing thing again!" comment.

I took my wife's to the GB today so I could let Apple do the swap. While waiting for the Genius to come out and assist me I put the MBP on the table and the battery on top of it. A few people came over an marveled at the fact that I pulled the battery.

When the Genius came over he asked why I removed it and I explained how it was so my wife could use her machine. I explained about the swelling of the battery and malformation of the trackpad. He felt the trackpad popped up and said he would do a diagnostic on it and let me know what was the next step. I told him I was ok with paying the $130 for the battery swap if needed.

He came back a little later and said he had good and bad news. The bad news is that my battery was to old for swelling coverage. The good news was that he dropped the battery in the back and cracked the case on it. That meant he couldn't give it back to me and had to replace it for free.

Good job Apple! At least I'm very thankful that the Genius dropped it.
Guarantee that was "dropped" intentionally to have such an effect. And with full support of the manager, I'd wager.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-07, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Guarantee that was "dropped" intentionally to have such an effect. And with full support of the manager, I'd wager.
I want so bad to believe this is the case. I really do and so I'm going to go with it. I tried reading his body language as he told me and it didn't come off like it was intentional at all, but maybe he's good at it by now.

Given your knowledge of the organization, I'll go with your assessment.

On another note, I was given the chance to try an aftermarket battery for my 17" MBP and was horrified. The seller sent the first one that didn't work at all. No registering on the battery meter on the side of the case nor when powered on and plugged in. The seller sent me a second one and it would only work when the MagSafe was plugged in. Not a very good battery when it reads 87% but dies as soon as it's unplugged. Needless to say, this helped me choose Apple for the battery replacement. My MBP is back on it's original battery and I was refunded my money for the crappy thing I bought off of Amazon.