AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Transmission Problem?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Transmission Problem?
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-27, 12:22

As you all may or may not know, I drive, and will continue for the near future until Apple stock does to my pleaing, a Buick Regal Custom. It's like from 88 or something.

Well I've been having a problem with the car lately, and was hoping maybe I could get some insight from you guys.

First problem is that if I stop too quickly the car stalls...it's automatic. The major problem though is if I try to accelerate too quickly, and by too quickly I mean at a normal rate to get to normal highway speed or up a hill at least the speed of a semi, it just revs the RPM's but doesn't change gears. I have to go REALLY slow to accelerate, and this is annoying, and also dangerous for when I get on the highway.

Transmission and oil look ok, but it seems to be leaking large amounts of oil. The oil level is, and has been ok for a while, even high, but like I said, it leaks fairly regularly.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-04-27, 12:40

Your trasmission is probably shot... I am sorry... there isn't anything you can do about it...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 13:01

No, I wouldn't necessarily say the transmission...
I would check the fuel pump and filter...

if you leave the car in neutral can you rev the RPMs up to like 4 or 5k? (at least 2/3 of the way up the dial)

I had (have?) a similar problem with our 1997 Chevy Suburban with 178000 miles on it, but it went away recently...

How much gas do you keep in it? Have your spark plugs been replaced recently? Does it takes some effort to start the car?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Mister Black

2005-04-27, 13:20

Haha an 88 buick regal. Amazing that thing made it out of the 90s.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-04-27, 14:07

I would definitely try what paul suggests first. The car is either not making enough power (not enough spark, fuel, or air) or your tranny is shot. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the transmission tho... let us know.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
ast3r3x

2005-04-27, 16:23

Say for instance...that there is no techometer. What would one do then?

I am going to say it's not the fuel pump since that was replaced a bit ago after we couldn't get the car to start when it ran out of fuel, even after putting gas in it.

No effort to start the car, runs...for the most part like a champ. When we got it, there were less then 80k, and more than 75k miles on it, I can't remember which.

...how do I check the spark plugs?

Like I said, I am suspecting it's the transmission, but something else would be great. So is this something that is going to gradually get worse or will the car just keep going in this messed up state until something else goes wrong?

I do plan on getting a car within the next couple of months...but I planned on getting a car a couple months ago, it keeps getting pushed back.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 16:39

If the car has no problems revving up when you step on the gas then you need to look at the transmission. From your original post it sounds like your car is spinning the flywheel but this power isn't getting to the transmission.

If you don't know what you're doing with transmissions, then bring it to a shop for an inspection. They can check your torque converter, this is where the engine's power is transferred to the transmission. It's possible the converter isn't engaging properly.

It could be something as simple as fluid/filter change or getting your bands adjusted. If you haven't kept up with your tranny fluid/filter change schedule then it'll probably blow soon after you replace these items.
ast3r3x

2005-04-27, 16:42

...how do you check the torque converter?

Man, I need Apple stock to go up so bad
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 16:50

Oh yeah, Google is your friend. Go a little down this page --> http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...a072702a_3.htm and click the link that describes your symptom. Possible causes are listed for each problem.

I used 'diagnose car transmission problem' as my Google search term and this was the first link returned.
ast3r3x

2005-04-27, 16:51

Yeah, I thought about doing that...but didn't.

Thanks for the link.
ast3r3x

2005-04-27, 16:57

Now if I only knew which one of those problems was mine
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 17:09

From your original post I went to the 'delayed or soft forward and reverse' link.

Here's the link --> http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...a/bl_02_at.htm
Random Hero

2005-04-27, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
It's possible the converter isn't engaging properly.

It could be something as simple as fluid/filter change or getting your bands adjusted. If you haven't kept up with your tranny fluid/filter change schedule then it'll probably blow soon after you replace these items.
This was the first thing I thought of when I read your post, however I disagree with BPMF with the fuild change. If you have never changed the tranny fluid, don't. The build up in the tranmission fluid will actually help the gears grip, if they've worn over time than changing to fresh fluid will cause them to slip. However if you used to change it regularly then go ahead.

The amount of labor that would be required to change or even check a converter wouldn't probably be worth the value of the car, but your mileage will vary.

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero
This was the first thing I thought of when I read your post, however I disagree with BPMF with the fuild change. If you have never changed the tranny fluid, don't. The build up in the tranmission fluid will actually help the gears grip, if they've worn over time than changing to fresh fluid will cause them to slip. However if you used to change it regularly then go ahead.
That's actually what I was trying to say in my earlier post, if you've never changed the tranny fluid, don't do it now.
ast3r3x

2005-04-27, 20:41

Well I'm going to guess it has never been changed.

My dad measured it, but viewing from the sideline, it looks black...like the oil, but maybe I'm wrong
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-04-28, 08:05

woah, your tranny fluid is black!!??!?! it should be pink or red, if its black, ur tranny is the problem
ast3r3x

2005-04-28, 08:21

I'll ask my dad, but from where I was, it looked black. I could be completly wrong though, I was across the car, and the dipstick could just have given it a black look.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-28, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I'll ask my dad, but from where I was, it looked black. I could be completly wrong though, I was across the car, and the dipstick could just have given it a black look.
Wipe some on a white paper napkin and look at the color there. If it is black, *shudder*.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-04-28, 11:36

LoL, usually it gets changed the moment it starts turning brown...