AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Working Out – And Suffering

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Working Out – And Suffering
Page 6 of 9 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  Next Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-30, 13:48

It's nice and quiet too. The seat slides smoothly and for someone that's spent time on the water (in the real thing) you'll get a kick out of the sound from the water rushing through the chamber with each stroke. I've never been on the real thing myself, but for years I used to do my cardio on those Concept stationary rowers at my college and local gyms. This is nicer.

Last edited by Matsu : 2021-03-30 at 18:33.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-31, 08:07

169.9! It was a good morning to step on the scale! I don't know how long it has been since I've even been close to this weight.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-31, 13:38

I'm already back up to 178.

Bulking adds weight fast, and very soon I will have to readjust. Trying to find the right balance to put on muscle while limiting fat. I'm still new to this.

Also, I've pulled a muscle in my upper left back, right below my shoulder blade. Trying to work through it, but it's smarting, today. I think it's the low-row exercise. I've never worked my back, so I'm not surprised when something kinks up.

Edit: Watching this video makes me think it's my rhomboids that are the culprit. At about the 2:45 mark he goes into what I think is the culprit: I've been sitting hunched over in front of the computer for so long that those muscles are WEAK!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-03-31 at 14:12.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-31, 15:29

Lots of good info. Sitting really is the devil!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-31, 15:54

Indeed. I try to stand as much as possible, but I always find myself back in the chair. Grrr!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-03-31, 16:01

Got my first covid shot today. Feel pretty good except I’m just drained. Still getting in a 30 minute bike ride though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-31, 16:46

I am thinking I'll start measuring myself once I start eating more (2100 - 2400) calories in a day. This way I can see where the weight is going on and easier see if it is fat or muscle.

I'm planning to get to 165 before shifting to higher calories but might even go as low as 159.9. I can do this modified diet longer though I have to admit, I'm very ready to not be hungry anymore. I mean, it has only been about 2 months now and I'm making great progress. At my average of 2.4# off a week it won't take that much longer to get into the 150s!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-31, 18:45

So I just watched another video from Gravity Transformations. It discusses "nerd neck" which is generally caused by too much sitting. When he described the symptoms and the exercises to treat them, I did some of the suggested stretches, and boy let me tell you! When I stretched my neck I could really feel it right where I'm having pain.

Case solved.

It is definitely my rhomboids, which have been relaxed and unused for more years than I can count. Stretching my neck according to his recommendations helped—a lot—for a few minutes, and then the pain returned. My guess: After I stretched the pain went away, but then the muscles tightened right back up. Bent-over rows, low rows, and other backwork have been aniling those little suckers and they aren't used to it, so they're throwing a temper tantrum.

At least I now know how to stretch them out.

Also, since joining the Y I've had almost no time for stretching, and I need to fix that.

Just FYI: This Gravity Transformations dude has a lot of very helpful videos that I wished I had discovered on day one!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-04-08, 18:54

Went to the doctor today and weighed in at 188.4. In 2015, I was 258.4. 70lbs. Wow. I'm blow away. My doctor was shocked because I was down 25lb since my last visit. My blood pressure was great and he said if I keep it up, there's a good chance I'll be taken off my meds.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-09, 11:03

Great job, Yontsey! You have the right to be proud of that accomplishment.

I'm bouncing between 170 and 180, but I'm also bouncing between cutting and bulking at this point. Only thing I'm changing diet-wise is how much I eat, and how many carbs I'm taking in. Right now, it's all protein and veggies. Lots of protein! I'm trying to maintain 150g protein daily, while getting as few carbs as possible. Easier said than done. When bulking, I eat the same amount of protein and just add in lots of carbs.

Getting stronger every week, and my lifting chart shows it. I can see some changes in my body, but they're small. Still, I can see muscles I haven't ever seen before.

But, the muscles I really want to see (my abs) are still buried behind a thin veil of fat that just won't go away. Regardless, abs have to be strengthened or you won't see them even if the fat is gone, so I keep working them.

I'm glad I've got a stubborn streak. Otherwise I would much rather just stay in bed!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-11, 09:08

Amazing work there Yontsey! Doesn't it feel nice to be in good shape?

My newest "struggle" is my pants fitting. They are all so loose now. They don't fall off yet, but it isn't going to be long and I'll have to buy more. I can pull them off without unbuttoning them at this point though!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-04-11, 16:43

Ha yeah I just went through that. Had to buy new jeans, shorts, belts, and some new shirts too. None of my shorts fit and my belts are all way too big now. Even my work Carhartt pants are starting to get too loose.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-11, 21:11

Right there with you guys. I bought new pants, shorts, shirts, belts, and even got new cloths for work. I'm down 3 belt sizes! The cool thing is that, even though I've been gaining, my waist size isn't gaining. I think most of the new weight is muscle mass, so I'm able to continue wearing smaller clothes and not even feeling snug in them.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-20, 08:36

I can't put tools in my pockets and walk around now. These are 33" waist too. I'm going to have to find a belt in my closet or something.

Mrs T and I were talking about our numbers of pounds lost and it is awesome. I will not be divulging her progress though I still say she is doing AMAZING! I will say I've personally lost 34 pounds since September and 25 of that in the last three months since cutting.

Earlier this month I finally became "normal" for BMI as opposed to overweight or even obese. I missed that milestone so I didn't even think to mention it back when it happened a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with myself. I'm so tried of feeling hungry all the time, but I want to reach 159 before I increase my caloric intake again. Only 6 more pound to go and at my current pace that is just three more weeks on the long side.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-20, 09:56

Great work, Turtle. Proud of you and the Mrs.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 15:24

Today I reached my initial goal of <165. I was shocked when I logged my lunch and saw I still had +1800 calories left to consume. When my daily has been under 1700 it REALLY caught me off guard. I've adjusted my goal down to 159 so I'm back to around 1600 a day (like it is cheating me out of another 100 calories here!!!).

For that brief moment I was so happy to see that to maintain my weight it lots me 2400 calories. So when I get to eat more I'm going to keep eating like I have been, but drink more protein shakes and eat bars to supplement. I'm not trying to bulk up, but I wouldn't mind some bigger muscles.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-22, 15:41

Here's what's crazy to me: My belt keeps getting looser, but I'm not losing any weight. I'm now building a lot of lean body mass, and I'm getting "heavier" without getting bigger. I think I am going to find that my "new body's" ( ) maintenance weight is going to be around 175. I just keep bouncing on that bubble. Muscle is heavy!

And I no longer have the desire to kill myself. I made it to my goal range (165-170) and now I'm working to build muscle and find my maintenance place.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-04-23, 06:46

Just weighed in and down another 5.3lbs. Boom. Down to 183.1lbs. Total of 24.1lbs since beginning of February.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-23, 08:21

Yontsey that is amazing! Great work man, really.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 11:28

I concur!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-04-23, 13:52

Thanks guys! Really busting my ass working out 1.5-2 hours a day. It's a great feeling.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 14:12

It is indeed.

I started a new arm exercise this week and my biceps are screaming for mercy. Glargh!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-27, 11:54

I'm 162.3 as of this morning. I'm so close to my goal of 159 before being able to eat 2400 calories a day. I feel like being this guy and fasting for three days on ex-lax:

Don't worry, I'm not but man am I ready to eat.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-27, 12:22

Almost there, Turtle. You can do it!

And 2400 calories? The weight is going to jump back on in a hurry! I switched to 2400 for bulking and gained 10 pounds in two weeks. Sheesh! And that was with lifting an hour/day 5 days/week. But, I'm more interested in body fat percentage and clothing fit right now than weight. If I could weigh 200 and look slender and fit, that would be okay.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-27, 16:14

Yep, 2400. Ok it is really 2334 but I'm trying not to be too specific. That is basically how much I burn on a daily basis. So if I eat what I'm burning then I should maintain my weight... in theory. Of corse some days I'll do less and others more. With my plan being maintain the same basic diet but increase the amount of protein from shakes and bars should do nicely for increasing the muscle growth fuel.

Ultimately I'm like you though, weight isn't really the goal but body shape and tone. I'm not even looking to have 26" pythons either. Just good tone and strength for my size and I'll be happy.

Waiting it out for my weight to drop by three more pounds is just grueling. I'm so close to being able to eat... and yet so far. I mean, 5 days ago I just went under 165 so it will likely be another week of this. I can do it, but man and I really to not be hungry all the time.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 09:01

Interesting article about HIIT (C|Net). I can attest to it being great until it isn't. There for a while when Fitness+ first came out I was doing it all the time. I didn't hit the "really bad" side of the article negatives but I did find I needed to lay off. Now I do them once a week at most but more due to my current routine.

The part about the glycogen burn though. That is real. I remember the video up thread about buying fat by creating a glycogen deficit and the HIITs (on Fitness+ at least) definitely do that. I'm thinking I'm going to have to incorporate that combine with a 500 calorie "protein" day to help burn the fat better. Maybe the fasting day should be the day after the HIIT though, specifically starting after the workout.

Also, my nipples are "outies" now! I don't know when that changed but they haven't been outies for longer than I can remember. Don't worry, I'm not posting pictures here but those of you who have been overweight know whatI 'm talking about.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-30, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Also, my nipples are "outies" now!
I know what you mean. I feel like a girl in a snow storm!

Wait, I have those?

That's what happens when you get all the fat off your pecks. Now, if I could just get the last little bit of fat off this gut!

I wonder if my belly button is an outty?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-30, 14:30

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-08, 17:08

I hit 159.8 today! I can finally eat again! I'm celebrating with a ... I have no idea actually. We are going to do a fire pit tonight so maybe I'll have a s'more or something like that.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-08, 18:16

Great work, Turtle. Treat yourself to something small, and enjoy some food. You've earned it!