User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Favorite VNC viewer?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Favorite VNC viewer?
octavist13

2005-10-10, 20:29

For those of you that use VNC, what viewer do you use? I've been using Chicken of the VNC, but I find it rather annoying how it saves your favorites. There's gotta be some better stuff out there.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-10, 20:35

I like VNCviewer. Simple and functional.
madmaxmedia

2005-10-10, 20:51

What do you find annoying about Chicken? I don't use VNC much overall, but have COVNC installed on my PowerBook.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-10, 20:53

Apple Remote Desktop?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-10, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia
What do you find annoying about Chicken?
Hmm... that is a tough one!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by octavist13
I find it rather annoying how it saves your favorites.
Three cheers for reading comprehension!!!

FWIW, I use CotVNC.
octavist13

2005-10-10, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia
What do you find annoying about Chicken? I don't use VNC much overall, but have COVNC installed on my PowerBook.
I would just like to be able to rearrange my favorites. I'd put the most frequently used ones at the top and whatnot. I mainly just use it at work so I don't have to get up from my desk all the time to check to see if our proofing device has any errors that need to be reckoned with. Occasionaly I dial into my computer at home, but it's so damn slow that it's barely worth it.
octavist13

2005-10-11, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Apple Remote Desktop?
Um, I'm looking for freeware so that won't cut it.
octavist13

2005-10-11, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
I like VNCviewer. Simple and functional.
I tried it out. It is simple and very functional, but it doesn't allow you to save any favorites at all so I wasn't that impressed.
StevesMom

2005-10-11, 11:53

Chicken. It's the best out there IMHO, flawed as it is.

SM.
octavist13

2005-10-23, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Three cheers for reading comprehension!!! .
Umm, so what's that supposed to mean?
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-10-24, 02:04

I don't think that Brad's comment was directed at you octavist13. I think he was referring to madmaxmedia.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-10-24, 02:34

anyone think there is a snowball's chance in hell of this ever making it to the mac?
i use it at work all the time and even over dialup, it is more responsive than many vnc programs ive used:
http://www.famatech.com/products/radmin/
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-24, 04:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
anyone think there is a snowball's chance in hell of this ever making it to the mac?
i use it at work all the time and even over dialup, it is more responsive than many vnc programs ive used:
http://www.famatech.com/products/radmin/
As far as I know, radmin draws its speed from using native, direct calls to GDI, Windows' graphics layer. That means that, by design, it's almost as fast -- bar the network latency -- as using the local machine. It also means, however, that it's not portable at all.

Sure, something similar could be done for Quartz; in fact, I hear NeXTstep did have something like radmin, using native, direct DisplayPostScript calls. Apple apparently does feel, however, that Remote Desktop is good enough.

Doesn't stop third parties from working on this, however.

But what it boils down to is:
1) if you want cross-platform, you have to settle for the greatest common denominator, which VNC represents rather well (hence Apple's support for that in recent Remote Desktop versions).
2) if you want speed, you need to make sacrifices. You'll get the highest speed and benefit the most from OS optimizations by, well, using those exact optimizations. But that means cross-platform is out of question.