AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

How to cool off my car...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to cool off my car...
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-07-05, 01:55

Okay, so I was tempted to buy the Auto Cool when I saw the informercial the other day, as I own a black car and it's summer. My internal thermometer tells me that it's around 130° in there on a typical day. Apparently, the Auto Cool uses solar power to pull the hot air from the car and cool it off. It sounded like something worth looking into, even though it would be easy for someone to break into my car and it's not cooling the car off by bringing any air in, etc etc.
So then I found this upon searching for reviews. I thought, "Ah ha! It doesn't work!" I'm a bit skeptical of the report, as they didn't really know what they were doing and the car was checked at different times, but really the device had no real effects.

Okay, so my reason for posting this was two-fold. One, to show people this in case they thought about buying it. Two, to ask if anyone has any methods or knows of any sort of way that I could cool the interior of my car a few degrees without leaving my windows open or parking in the shade?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-05, 01:59

Shiny windshield guards. Those are about the only thing that actually works.
RichieB

2006-07-05, 02:09

That CBS article you linked to is the most horribly written piece of Crap I have ever read. Where do these guys (and gals) go to school? I wonder.

Anyway, I live in Arizona and summer temps here get to 100-105 on the outside. I have all my windows tinted and leave the back window cracked when I leave the car parked. That is the only thing that seems to help, along with the suggestion above.

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-05, 07:45

I've heard of windows literally bursting because of their tint (usually aftermarket) absorbing so much heat that the glass expanded and busted loose from its frame.

I haven't tinted yet, partly because DC tint laws don't leave much room for it anyway. In the meantime, I put up one of those shiny windshield sun shields, crack open the side windows about 1/4" and/or tilt the sunroof, and also, I'll often park facing the sun so that all the other windows don't get so much exposure.

Then when I get back, I start the car, turn on the a/c, and roll down all the windows. I'll either sit there for a minute or start driving right away, getting the a/c system fully cooled down and venting all the hot air out the open windows. Sure, there's a ventilation exit in every car that I know of, but it's not nearly as efficient as a couple square yards of open window frames.

That last paragraph is probably more important. I only have to endure the 130+ degree heat for a half minute or less.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-07-05, 11:49

When I was a kid, my best friend's Dad had a 1970 (I think that was the right year) Vega with the 2.3L Pinto four banger in it. That thing used to overheat all the time. My friend's dad used to drive it to and from work and when it overheated coming home, he would bring the hose out and drip (slightly) water on the block to cool it down since it was too hot to release the raditor cap.

My friend's older sister got to take the Vega to HS Prom and on the way to the Prom, the Vega overheated. She told her Prom date how her dad used to cool down the block--so what did he do???? He got to gas station and sprayed water HARD all over the engine, splitting the block.

Tell me that was a call you would not want to make? His Dad tried to get GM to replace the block free of charge but they balked. The Vega went to the junk yard.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-07-05, 11:53

Sounds like your best friend's dad is a real genius. Good call on letting your daughter drive a car that overheats so easily to the prom. Sounds like the Vega wasn't the only thing with a cracked block.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-07-05, 12:11

Tint doesn't absorb heat. What you want to do is prevent infrared radiation from entering your car and allow heat to escape. The windshield screen is a good idea since it reflects light back out of the car and keep the windows down a crack to let hot air escape. That is probably the best you can do.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-05, 12:14

You also don't have to crack the windows much to make a huge difference. A 1/4" crack will be plenty to keep the inside temps way down.

Now I'm tempted to buy one of those stupid fan things and see if it works. That write-up was shit on a shingle.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-05, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Tint doesn't absorb heat. What you want to do is prevent infrared radiation from entering your car and allow heat to escape. The windshield screen is a good idea since it reflects light back out of the car and keep the windows down a crack to let hot air escape. That is probably the best you can do.
Well, yeah, but dark tint (especially of the dyed type) can't help but absorb heat -- it's part of its nature. Metal-based tints, or the newer ceramic-based types, are probably better at reflecting more heat than they'd absorb.

And, what I've learned from the Vega story is to not hose down the interior...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-05, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2
She told her Prom date how her dad used to cool down the block--so what did he do???? He got to gas station and sprayed water HARD all over the engine, splitting the block.
Haw haw! Boy, this guy is stupid! He should have used LIQUID NITROGEN! Hee hee!