Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

PNG Transparency in IE-based email

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PNG Transparency in IE-based email
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-07-14, 21:14

I'm sending a newsletter using a mass email system (activate direct). The header is a PNG with transparency. It works fine in everything but IE (and outlook, etc., I'd assume)

I'm not exactly sure why, but the only way I can get the transparency to work properly is with Microsoft's solution linked to below. The other javascript and php-based solutions provided by a Google search don't work. Obviously Microsoft's ActiveX based solution won't work at all in Safari, Firefox, etc.

What I need is a way to selectively display the image in a normal way when the browser is Safari, Firefox, etc., but to use the ActiveX method when IE is detected. Is there a way to do this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-14, 22:18

What version of IE? Ah, mass email.

IE6 simply doesn't support normal PNG transparency without running the AlphaImageLoader script mentioned in the page you linked to. That's one of the many reasons IE6 sucks. There's no way around this, I'm afraid.

IE7, on the other hand, should handle embedded PNG images with alpha just fine without any special code.

You could use this script in your code: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/ This only runs if the browser is IE 5.5 or 6.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-07-15, 01:02

Ah, but that requires Javascript. Any email client that supports Javascript (already a fairly tall order, because of security concerns) ought to have it locked down, no?

I'm asking for a bit of a miracle, I know.

This option works in the Activate Direct (my web based mass email system) preview areas. Any php or javascript methods work in neither the email reader nor the activate direct preview window. However, this non-Javascript method doesn't seem to work in the Gmail web interface, although I've yet to try Outlook. If it doesn't work in Gmail web interface (on IE6, that is), it's still fairly worthless to me.