User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Macbook+external display help needed

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macbook+external display help needed
awr001

2008-07-11, 19:03

I just paired my MacBook with a new 19" LG LCD display only to run into a problem that negates my whole purpose in buying the display in the first place. The monitor simply shows a huge version of my desktop. I was expecting to be able to gain more screen space, with the application windows and such remaining the same size as on my MacBook screen. However, everything is just proportionally larger and takes up the same amount of screen real estate.Honestly, I don't know why I didn't anticipate this issue in the first place.

I assume Apple Cinema Displays don't have this problem, but is there a way to correct this problem with my LCD display so I can actually have more desktop room to roam?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-07-11, 19:30

System Preferences, Displays, untick "Mirroring".
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-11, 19:32

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like you've got it set to "mirror" your MacBook display (replicate it on the larger, connected LCD) rather than spanning/extending your desktop?

I don't run this type of set-up, but I've fiddled with it in stores before. I can't remember the exact thing you do, but I do know that you go to the Displays preference panel in your System Preferences, and there should be something there that lets you toggle from mirror to spanning.

Someone else can probably get a bit more detailed about it, but it sounds like you just need to click a button or two in OS X (assuming I'm understanding your problem correctly).

EDIT: chucker got it...nevermind.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-07-11, 19:37

Or, more visually:

awr001

2008-07-11, 19:57

Thanks for the quick responses.

I don't know if I explained well enough what I'm trying to achieve here. I do want my desktop mirrored on the external display, since I'll have my MacBook closed and tucked away. However, I don't want everything on the external display to be proportionally larger to fill the space. For instance, the dock, menu bar, and app windows don't appear larger on a 24" imac than a 20" imac just because the screen is bigger.

Essentially...is it possibly to treat the MacBook like a headless unit, so the external display doesn't end up being a really large 13" display (if that makes sense.)?
chucker

2008-07-11, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr001 View Post
Essentially...is it possibly to treat the MacBook like a headless unit
Yes; that's lid-closed mode. Connect an external keyboard, mouse and monitor to the MacBook, then put it to sleep by closing its lid. Finally, wake it up using the keyboard or mouse while leaving the lid closed.

The internal screen will remain off, and the external will now be your primary screen.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-11, 20:25

Just curious, would that work with Bluetooth keyboards as well?

Never tried it, but it just popped into my head because I don't have a wired keyboard right now.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-07-11, 21:59

You need a USB keyboard and mouse for clamshell mode to work, IIRC.
awr001

2008-07-11, 23:04

I understand that much of it. I haven't had any trouble getting my MB/monitor into clamshell mode. I just find it annoying (personal taste maybe), how once it's in clamshell mode every aspect of my MB's original desktop is enlarged to fill the same percentage of screen space on the external display as was filled on the macbook display.

If my Mail window is, literally, 6"x6" on my macbook display, I still want it to be 6"x6" on the 19 inch external so I have that much more space open on my desktop. As I have it now, it's taking the 6"x6" window and expanding it to, say, 9"x9" on the external.

When you walk around an Apple store, even though there are different size monitors/displays, the windows and applications shown on the displays are all a uniform size. You just have room for more windows/apps in the larger displays. That's what I'm hoping for with my external display. Hopefully that clears up my frustration.

Thanks for you guys' help, by the way. Keep it coming.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-07-12, 01:02

The only way to get what you want is to have a monitor with the same screen resolution as your Macbook.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-07-12, 10:33

Change the screen resolution?