User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Refurb iPhones ($199 instead of $299) anyone done it?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Refurb iPhones ($199 instead of $299) anyone done it?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-02-27, 15:54

If so, was the phone in good shape when you got it? Any major scratches/dents etc. Just wondering how refurbished these things are when you get them.

I'm going to be getting a new phone in a few weeks, and I'm hoping Apple releases a new version by then, but if not, these refurbished phones seem like a pretty good deal.

I've had good luck with their machines in the past, but never done a phone so figured I'd see if anyone else has had good luck with them, or even tried it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-02-27, 16:16

I got the first gen 4GB refurb about two months after it was released.

Absolutely perfect in condition. I couldn't even tell it was a refurb. The only difference is the packaging.

I should have waited to get a refurb 3G, but I'm very impatient.

I'd be all over that refurb if I didn't already have an iPhone.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-02-27, 16:50

I got a refurbed 4gig about a year after I launch. It was nearly perfect. The ringer button no longer had a little "bell" icon. Also, there was a tiny imperfection at the bottom of the glass. It has a little chip in it. But otherwise it was pristine.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-02-27, 17:35

My iPhone is a refurb and it's totally perfect. Haven't seen any differences, scratches, anything. I'd say go for it!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-27, 17:42

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. $100 is $100. In my experience, I've never seen any junky refurb gear from Apple (including iPods, which should be the most banged-up and "used"-looking of anything they sell). I always look at it as instead of "used" or thrashed, maybe it was a returned gift or returned within a few days of purchase (which can't technically be sold as new) with barely any use. Or maybe it spent a weekend as a demo product at some trade show or exhibition, and got handled just a little bit (but not taken out into the world and dropped, dinged, scuffed, etc.).

I'd have a tough time buying new again, knowing what I know now. And that goes for the iPhone (and iPods) as well. I might even delay my planned summer '09 purchase by a few months, just so I can save $100 or so. It all depends on a few factors, but I'm certainly open to the idea (there was a time when I I wouldn't have been).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-02-27, 19:28

Pscates: I'm pretty sure that the refurb iPhones are refurbished by AT&T, not by Apple. So it's possible that the refurb iPhones might not be up to Apple's usual standard (they don't come in the same "new" box, like refurb Macs do, for example).

But they seem to be OK.

I'm ordering my first refurb Mac - a refurb unibody MacBook - today. I wanted to save $150 so I could get a T-Mobile G1. I hope it's not...bad.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-27, 19:58

Oh. Well, I'd still get one. $100 is $100. I'm sure it's covered, and you'd have some options if you got a completely ravaged, unworkable turd.

AT&T, Apple, etc. Refurbs are a nice way to go for many things.

My iMac came in a plain brown cardboard box, not the usual box with photos, logos, graphics, etc. It had all the packing materials, styrofoam inserts/spacers, etc. But from the outside, all you saw was a small Apple logo beside the words Certified Recondition Product, or something like that.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2009-02-27, 22:37

I think I might do it, but I'm also waiting to see if there's an updated version. My current plan ends in a few weeks though, so once that happens I know I'm going to have a hard time not buying one, or an Andriod phone from T-mobile.

Google is your frenemy.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-02-27, 23:03

@alc: I'll keep you posted on how I like my G1, then. Are you in a 3G area?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-02-27, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
My iMac came in a plain brown cardboard box, not the usual box with photos, logos, graphics, etc. It had all the packing materials, styrofoam inserts/spacers, etc. But from the outside, all you saw was a small Apple logo beside the words Certified Recondition Product, or something like that.
Really? My brother got a refurb BlackBook a few years back and I could have sworn he got the original box. But maybe they've changed things (or maybe I'm remembering wrong)...

Oh well. I'm a teensy bit less excited for my MacBook, but not really. Besides, refurbs are eco-friendly.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Justin

2009-02-28, 21:12

I say as long as it comes with the same warranty go for it! ...and I'm pretty sure it does.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-02-28, 21:50

It does, AND you can buy AppleCare, which I did. Seriously, I can't think of any drawback other than a less sexy unboxing.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2009-03-01, 11:25

Cool, I think I'll wait a week or two then go for it. Want to see if the rumors of a new 32GB iPhone are real.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-01, 11:34

You could ensure the arrival of a new 32GB model if you buy the refurb 16GB. Isn't that how it usually works?

"Dammit!"
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2009-03-01, 12:06

Yeah, in 31 days or whatever is just after the period where they'll give you a free upgrade.

That's the main reason I'm holding off, I know as soon as I buy one the new ones will come out.

Google is your frenemy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-01, 12:29

I've not been following the iPhone side of things too closely (I'm preoccupied with the Mac mini situation... ), but is there a good chance of some updates to the iPhone before this summer? I saw one little rumor a few months ago (December?), but didn't really think much of it.

Nothing's happened since (I assumed Macworld was where it might take place). If they keep waiting too long, they're going to get into that May-July space of a true, all-new third-generation iPhone. I can't imagine them doing that, that close of a release/overlap for something most people want to buy once and then not think about for another 18-24 months...

If they plan to give the current iPhone 3G any sort of bump, I'm thinking they'd better do it before the end of March, otherwise it'll only have 2-3 months in existence before a completely new model is out. I was hoping they'd do these mid-cycle updates on a predictable, six-month schedule (new iPhones out in June-July, capacity bumps in December-January).

But they don't consult with me on this stuff, so...

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2009-03-01, 16:01

Supposedly Apple made a large purchase of flash RAM, drove up flash memory prices all around, so there were rumors of a larger storage iPhone.

Tie that to already existing 32GB Touch, and it's (i hope) a short time until they update the iPhone to match.

Google is your frenemy.