User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Residential landline - WiFi gateway

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Residential landline - WiFi gateway
Bill M

2009-10-05, 16:05

Ok, I am not sure if the title makes sense, but here is an idea that came up during an iPhone discussion at home a few days ago. I know that there are devices that allow you to use your house-wired phones to send and receive cell calls (i.e. Grace Digital's ITC-BTTN). Now, what about the opposite? How about being able to answer or make landline phone calls using, say, your iPhone and WiFi?

I use my iPhone to control pretty much everything around the house, from the obvious Mac mini playing iTunes, to checking who is ringing the doorbell. All of this via WiFi. Now, about landline calls... cheap wireless phones (specially the dect 6.0 kind) allow you to do this from almost anywhere... but I already have my iPhone with me all the time, so it would be cool if I could also use it to at least answer incoming calls to my landline.

Cheers,
Bill
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-10-06, 02:08

Just stop giving people your landline number? Works great for me
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-06, 07:58

Check out Google Voice. Apple won't let the app on the iPhone for whatever reason, but you can still use GV's web interface. It may be just what you're looking for, although the solution may be different than you expected.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-10-06, 08:28

I thought about suggesting that but even still he'd have to give out a new number. If you were gonna do that why not just give out his cellular number?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-06, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I thought about suggesting that but even still he'd have to give out a new number. If you were gonna do that why not just give out his cellular number?
Because the new number can be tied to all of his 'official' numbers. This way, when someone calls his Google #, it rings both his home and cell phone (and any other phones tied to the Google #).

Think of it like a gmail.com address. No matter who your phone provider actually is, people only need to call your Google number to contact you. Just like gmail.com, no matter who your ISP is, you can always get your mail from gmail.com
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-10-06, 09:08

Right, no I completely understand how GV works, but it seems like if you're gonna give out a whole new number you might as well just give them your cell number then that way you could completely do away with your land line.

If you want to go that route though, like BPMF said, GV will work, but you have to give out a number.

GV looks like a great program btw, I just don't currently have a use for it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-10-06, 09:51

I haven't tried GV either, just know about it due to the iApp dustup. Forgot about the whole number portability thing too, duh me.