Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Making a Video using iMovie or Final Cut

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Making a Video using iMovie or Final Cut
Partial
Stallion

2014-02-04, 12:05

I'm considering the idea of making a short video like the one seen on this website. It is the video for the iPhone app Mailbox. It will be a promotion for an app I'm working on.

http://www.mailboxapp.com

Is this something that would be feasible for a complete n00b to do? I've never made a video before. I don't have any equipment, but I do have a friend who is a photographer with a high end digital SLR camera. I also work in a very bright office so I could get pretty good lighting I think (we've filmed a lot of video up there historically).

Basically... am I crazy to think I could do this? Is this well above my pay grade? I don't know the slightest thing about making and editing videos.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-02-04, 14:09

It's a reasonably simple style video to assemble, but you might want to find someone who is familiar with shooting video if that is the the kind of quality you are looking for.

Editing a video like that is the easy part, it's shooting it that might be difficult for someone with no experience.
Partial
Stallion

2014-02-05, 15:23

Thanks for your input. I really don't know what to expect. Would a high end SLR be able to produce decent audio quality or will it just come off as tacky?

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-02-05, 15:49

SLR/DSLR may help you get good picture quality, but good audio comes from having a decent mic with a proper screen and recording in a room that's insulated in some way to suppress echoes and other noise.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-02-05, 17:01

Right on the money Brad, sound is important. You don't need a sound proof room, just a good microphone, but as you said echos could be a problem if the sound input is not setup correctly. If the DSLR has controls over sound input, do not use auto gain!

I use a RODE video mic go for my video work, and it does a good job. A longer cord would allow for use of the mic off camera, which is ideal.

Last edited by PB PM : 2014-02-05 at 17:12.
Partial
Stallion

2014-02-06, 00:47

Wow, cool, I did not know you could hook up an external microphone to an SLR camera.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. I don't have a camera but I can borrow a friend's, so maybe he can give me some pointers too. I was just thinking about the audio - I may not even have any. I can add a soundtrack in via iMovie I would think, so maybe that is the way to go.

The video will ultimately be very similar to the Mailbox one I posted above. Same visual style, anyway. I will link you guys to it when it's done if that's okay. I don't know if there are rules against advertising your own stuff here. I try to avoid doing it.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll be asking for questions about iMovie in the coming weeks

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-02-06, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Wow, cool, I did not know you could hook up an external microphone to an SLR camera.
Many of the DSLRs that can shoot video, besides the very basic entry level models, have a 2.5" jack.