MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us
Page 10 of 16 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-05, 16:08

Sure, I can keep a copy of the map up. I'm going to let the current run finish up and will let it stands after the prune.
¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 16:15

Perfect. Thanks T!

Kind've makes sense as this would be our last full map before we start trimming or getting itchy to play a snapshot or a KillTourney or something.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-05, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
One more grid square (in red outline) to add to non-wipe status:
Easy peasy. It's safe! Updated trim area:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-05, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post

Drew has a platform and a home on the island near the portal too.
Oh! Oh. Hmm.

I'd be happy to keep that chunk around for now, but I didn't realize "Southlantis" was the ultra-far ~16K south location. When I saw the "Southlantic" sign at the railway function just a click south of Turtle's mountainside castle, I guess I mistakenly thought that was the new Southlantis people were talking about.

Is that right? Are we actually building rails to 16K? Even at the max rails speed of 8 m/s, a one-way trip would take more than a half hour of sitting time. Seems a bit extreme...

When I joined the trim discussion a few weeks ago, I had intended for the trim to wipe everything but our core area so the 1.9 update could regenerate us a whole new outside world (potentially with a new seed) like we got when we went from 1.7 to 1.8. Since we've done so much exploring outside of the core, that would give us lots of fresh terrain to see without necessarily having to go miles away. If we keep that long strip, we're going to have some wicked Cliffs of Insanity to contend with, and the ride may not be pretty. Also, the disk size/map processing benefits are going to be drastically reduced; including the current south strip more than doubles the size of our "core" area.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 17:52

The idea behind the 'far off home' was born from the desire to have a new, rustic area to settle for those who like the New World feel, while keeping CC and all its goodies intact. 16k was just a random number because I went 2k in each cardinal directions in the Nether and put portals in, expecting most of it would be wiped. I figured on the way out to the portals we'd find some fun area to set up a rustic camp, but it turned out that the area around the 16k South Portal was very sexy.

A new world seed is a very interesting idea though. Honestly I thought we were rolling with what we have currently and just trimming, but I kind've like the idea of unexplored terrain. Question: if we choose a new seed, can you adjust the terrain generation to be a little bit more extreme? I miss some of the "whoa!" areas in our earlier worlds.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 17:55

Also, do you still have the magic powers to smooth edges, or did they go by the way of CraftBukkit?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-05, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Also, do you still have the magic powers to smooth edges, or did they go by the way of CraftBukkit?
The terrain smoothing ability was a function of WorldEdit, and yes that went away with Bukkit.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-05, 22:44

Quote:
With the software we use to wipe, is there a difference between 'trim' and 'reset'? Reason I ask is that ever since we trimmed the 1.7 world to go to 1.8 there are a few major anomalies I noticed afterwards.
When trimming the world, I just delete specific chunk files. When resetting the world, we start with a completely clean slate, preserving none of the old world files or data.

Quote:
So, I wonder if there's a flag or something that can be deleted in order to get those things back in 1.9. There's some new chest mechanics (Loot Tables) and whatnot, plus I expect the underground to get mixed up thoroughly what with Strongholds going from 3 to 128 and igloos having basements.
Unfortunately, entities like strongholds, fortresses, mineshafts, monuments, and villages have their data saved into NBT files that are not part of the individual chunk files, and these are unfriendly to editing and do not have their contents flushed when I wipe the chunk files. I could delete them when wiping chunks. That would allow Minecraft to regenerate them cleanly. However, that would result in any of those structures that exist in the chunks we're keeping to likely start misbehaving. The most likely outcome of that is that things like the NE guardian farm would stop generating new guardians.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-05, 23:01

Will 1.9 cause a new "Cliffs of Jeb" issue?
¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 23:21

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation Brad.

If we go for a new seed outside the trim, will that affect the Nether or The End? I assumed they were tied to the Overworld seed.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-12-05, 23:26

Quote:
Will 1.9 cause a new "Cliffs of Jeb" issue?
If we go for a new seed, yes.

Though, if we decide a new seed is the best way to go I'd like to add a few 'do not wipe' chunks to the map, if only for aesthetic reasons.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-12-05, 23:35

Wait, we're changing seed?

Why?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-06, 17:38

Quote:
A new world seed is a very interesting idea though. Honestly I thought we were rolling with what we have currently and just trimming, but I kind've like the idea of unexplored terrain. Question: if we choose a new seed, can you adjust the terrain generation to be a little bit more extreme? I miss some of the "whoa!" areas in our earlier worlds.
I forgot to mention this earlier... YES, the single-player "customized" terrain options are also available in SMP. It's a little tricky to get started, but it's a "set it and forget it" type of thing.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Customized

Quote:
Wait, we're changing seed?

Why?
Not yet! Maybe with 1.9 though. If nothing else, new seed and/or new generator options make for refreshing new exploration.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-12-06, 21:42

I vote for new seed with 1.9 – let's get NEW STUFF!!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-07, 00:03

Thanks again Brad for moving Monument Tower over to Tall Town.

Also, thanks for the surprise at the top of the tower, and the quadruple surprise at the bottom!

I saw something at the top of the platform and thought another player was on. Checked, but no. Got there, heard hissing, turned around and saw the charged creeper waiting for me. Damn thing blew me through the top of the tower!

Jerk!

Then I carved out some bits, took the quick way down and landed in a rattlesnake den! Double jerk!

What a day.

Now that the thing is coming down, I'm realizing how much went into it. 1 large chest per floor!

Gonna take a while.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-12-07, 20:47

Great success.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-07, 21:13

If only I could have been there!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-07, 23:54

Just think: If I hadn't seen the creeper and had a tiny amount of time to react, he may have blown me sideways instead of up. Then, I would have fallen to the bottom rather than being catapulted to the top. The moment I landed in the water, the Guardians would have opened up on me.

I would have been so confused I would probably have died.

Especially considering it appears Brad gave me some Guardians that immediately regenerate upon death. There are 4 down there. Each time I kill one, another appears.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2015-12-08, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Now that the thing is coming down, I'm realizing how much went into it. 1 large chest per floor!

Gonna take a while.
I'd be happy to help if you want. Are you taking it floor by floor, gutting the inside first, the exterior shell first... does it matter? Reason I ask is that the glass will probably be the slowest part to remove, and it might be easier to just go straight down the exterior in strips.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-08, 11:23

You wanna help? Dive in.

And, yeah, you're probably right about that vertical bit.

Sooner it comes down, the better. I've been short on time, but gonna try to get in there today. There are no chests in the area, just FYI.

And watch out for the damn fish in the pool!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-08, 15:12

I can remove the whole thing if you don't care about getting the material back. Make the Minecraft Earth swallow it whole!
¡Damned!

2015-12-08, 15:53

Just make sure I'm out of there first!

Honestly, the glass is a massive pain to remove. I wouldn't hold it against him if he just let the gods take care of it.

But seriously, make sure I'm out of there first!

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-12-08, 17:16

I'm out.

That teardown is more trouble than it's worth, imo. I vote magicks.

Unless Ken wants the loot, which is surprisingly little.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-08, 20:51

Ok, I'm going to play and then nuke it. Hope Ken doesn't fall to his death.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-08, 22:10

It is gone down to 64. 709 said he didn't want it all the way gone so let me know if you want me to come back and wipe more. I needed to get out of the game for now. Of course, 709 is in creative right now too.

Also, Fizzles McGee is cute.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-09, 00:56

I asked Turtle to fill the bad boy in all the way to bedrock. She's gone.

Also, I moved four of my horses out to Whammerstein. No idea where the others are, although Turtle mentioned Grey may have "saved them", which means he moved them to his glue factory over under 13Topia.

Anyway, I filled in the horse corral, so all of my diggings beneath MT are now filled in, including the giant, empty hole I fell into.

Thanks, T, for helping with that. And thanks Grey for the initial teardown. What loot is in the boxes up front is good enough. I'm not concerned about losing anything, since it's now all out at Tall Town. I'll move those front chests tomorrow and the place will be ready for *ahem* a new build.

I'm going to donate the lot to community build. Ideas? I would like to keep whatever it is under 30 high. Lots of green and flowers in the landscaping. Something with several block types in the design. A courthouse? A miniature 9/11 memorial? An arboretum? A redneck trailer park?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-12-09, 01:05

Speaking of the Tall Town location, there is some work to be done on the edge of that one. Someone might fall to their death on that thing!
¡Damned!

2015-12-09, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
709 is in creative right now too.
Yeah... do I have to be online for you to turn that abomination off? The flying bit is great, I love that. The destroying everything that I touch part, not so much.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-12-09, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Turtle mentioned Grey may have "saved them", which means he moved them to his glue factory over under 13Topia.
Ha! No, they're just over at my livestock pen waiting for you to pick them up. I was worried that the wipe would kill them, then had to leave, and now I'm stuck in Creative and am afraid to touch anything.

The lot.... I have no idea. Arboretum/Botanical Garden would be cool, but something like that needs more space. Memorials, no, too touchy. Fed stuff, maybe? A library? But we have a nice one already. Maybe not something so grand. Go pedestrian? An outlet store? No. Shit. I have no idea.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-12-09, 10:22

Turtle. . .