The applenova folding team!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The applenova folding team!
Page 61 of 62 First Previous 57 58 59 60 [61] 62  Next Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-01-27, 21:42

We have hydro here in BC, it is dirt cheap! One month I folded 24/7, and the bill was $60, the highest we ever had. Our heating is natural gas, so that is another $40-60 month, just to put it in perspective.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-01-30, 01:29

So after 95:22 of use I've consumed 11.91 kWh on my PS3. It's still staying right around 125W. Not bad if you asked me. Certainly not a huge drain on a wallet to run F@H for a long period of time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-01-30, 07:23

So what's the best way to get my i7 rig folding? I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I don't think I can fold in OS X because the program isn't compiled for the processor. Any tips?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-01-30, 07:27

It should work fine. As usual, I recommend just using the SMP console client and forgoing front-ends like InCrease altogether.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-01-30, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
It should work fine. As usual, I recommend just using the SMP console client and forgoing front-ends like InCrease altogether.
When you use the console do you run a console per core or does it handle everything for you? I'm looking to boot Beast in Win7 most of the time now since I haven't been able to tweak him right as a hack. OnceI do that I'll have him folding again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-01-30, 11:04

One client will start 4 cores by default. You can tell it to start as many cores as you need. Just follow the FAQ/guides on the project homepage.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-01-30, 13:02

Thanks! As soon as Beast finishes the current WUs he is doing I'll see about switching him over to Win7 instead.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-01-30, 22:37

Note that the Windows SMP clients use a hacked up implementation of MPI and are typically less efficient than their unix-based counterparts.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-01-30, 22:56

Yup, the windows SMP seems slow compared to under Mac OSX. I was surprised that the 2.53Ghz C2D in my MBP was getting more PPD than the E8400 (3.0Ghz C2D) in my PC.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-02, 12:08

I'm so tired for trying to get folding running on Beast in Win7.

Everything I tries gives one error or another. I don't have the time to fight it out either. None of the guides actually work with my system either. Seems the real hitch is that I'm running 64bit and can't put in .Net 2.0.

So now I'm back to running Beast with InCrease for now. The 2144 point work units fail to complete in time though. It takes days (7 estimated) for a Gromacs SMP to complete using InCrease on Beast.

I'm pretty frustrated right now. At least I still have my PS3 going.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-02-02, 12:11

I don't know about the problem with Win7, but for .NET 2.0... I do believe it already should be installed and does support 64-bit. You can verify this by checking your Uninstall/Repair Software (you may need to check a box to look at Windows component or upgrades or something like that). I know that .NET 2.0 download gives out an error when it should have had said "You have it already installed."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-08, 15:28

I finally have Beast folding under Win7! I'm going to boot into Mac OS when I need to, but for the most part this system will likely stay booted into Win7 now.

It was a pain to get him running, but finally just followed the steps again and it worked. Currently running a A3 core with my new passkey. I hope to get us some good bonus points now too. Once I can get some RAM and graphics for my new system I'll get it folding too. (i7 860)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-01, 20:17

So all of my points are from a PS3, i7 860 and and i7 920. It seems these A3 cores really work well. On Beast and Junior I'm using console mode rather than any GUI.

The A3 cores actually spread over all threads on the CPU too. The A1 or A2 only use the actual CPU cores not threads. I'm not sure why, just an observation from my two PC folding.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-02, 00:37

I'm taking a break for a while, since I've sold my PC to a friend. I'll start folding again when I get my Core i5 27" iMac in three or four weeks.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-04-26, 00:28

Only 5 active folders?!?!?! Come on people. Where's the love for Stanford?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-04-26, 00:49

I've been trying to fold, but there aren't many work units. The last few weeks when I do get a work unit it gets to 2% and it stops with an "Unstable Machine" error. I've given up for the time being as a result.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2010-04-26, 10:29

I guess I could put my HTPC to work on folding, it mostly just sits there except for when it's recording or my girlfriend is playing the Sims on it, which is pretty frequent. I'm not totally sure how to do it though, I guess I'll look back through this thread and figure it out. It can't be that hard...right?

Come waste your time with me
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-09-12, 20:21

I'm a little annoyed with my WU I've been getting lately on Beast. It's been crunching 1% of it at something like 2 1/2 hours! Nothing like what it normally pushes through. What's worse is that it failed final checks and got rejected!!!

Oh well. I'm not really that bothered, just trying to figure out a way to bring the thread back up and hope to add new forum members to the fold.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2010-09-12, 22:50

Ohh good idea. I have a new Mac Pro coming that I should set on the task for a bit.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-09-13, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I'm a little annoyed with my WU I've been getting lately on Beast. It's been crunching 1% of it at something like 2 1/2 hours! Nothing like what it normally pushes through. What's worse is that it failed final checks and got rejected!!!
Flush your current work. I also see only 3 active workers on your stats page? Is that right?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2010-09-17, 06:26

Needed a good burn-in test.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-09-17, 17:24

Nice, you gonna leave it running for the team? That should help us get moving again.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-07, 16:21

Only me and torifile are active.

Is our team dead?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-04-07, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Only me and torifile are active.

Is our team dead?
Wait. What? I'm still active? I wonder what computer is still running it.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2011-04-07, 22:01

Yes it is Dead!
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2011-04-07, 22:05

My PS3 running 24/7 upped my electricity bill about $10-15 a month and I kinda freaked out.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-07, 22:07

I haven't had a computer folding in a few years.

I used to have 5 or 6 going from when I was on internships and installed it, but it seems as if all of those computers are now offline.

With my primary computer being a laptop, I don't really have a chance to fold.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Paul
Veteran Member

2015-08-27, 18:53

Imagine my surprise when I started up an old machine the other day and noticed that it was still setup to fold for team AppleNova! It looks like the team has been inactive for some time now, but the project is still going strong! Does anyone out there still fold? Are there other, better uses of excess CPU capacity (other than bitcoin mining) out there that I should be looking into?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-27, 23:35

I haven't folded in a long time. It was my goal to beat Eugene back in the day...until he built the massive multi-GPU thing and I was out. I still folded for a good long while with the PS3 and some of my other PCs.

It is still a great thing to do with your spare CPU cycles though.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2015-08-28, 00:03

I've been running SETI@home and Milkyway@home mostly. I'm in the top 0.13% in the USA and top 5% worldwide.