AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

The applenova folding team!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The applenova folding team!
Page 7 of 62 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-25, 12:48

I did glance at those comments, but isn't that a Terminal / Console dealy?

[installed... not sure I am doing this correctly. Seemed to have lost the 20% or so of the last protein I was working on. Hope it doesn't reset my fucking WU tally.

Anyway both processors seem to be going, using the recommended settings plus a couple changes to the preferences of when the app starts, quits, etc. If I select "start at boot time", I assume all it's doing is creating a startup item in my user account, right?]

Last edited by Moogs : 2004-09-25 at 13:06.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-26, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
I did glance at those comments, but isn't that a Terminal / Console dealy?

[installed... not sure I am doing this correctly. Seemed to have lost the 20% or so of the last protein I was working on. Hope it doesn't reset my fucking WU tally.

Anyway both processors seem to be going, using the recommended settings plus a couple changes to the preferences of when the app starts, quits, etc. If I select "start at boot time", I assume all it's doing is creating a startup item in my user account, right?]
Well, I would normally say RTFM, but in this case InCrease barely comes with a manual!

Because InCrease installs its own client, whatever the last WU you were working on with a different client will be lost. If you want, I believe you can stop using InCrease and finish using your other client until that WU is finished, but I wouldn't bother unless it's a just huge unit on which you've invested a lot of time.

InCrease (nor any other client) will reset your official WU tally at Stanford. However, do be sure to set the preferences for your username and team number! You'll need to stop folding, quit, and restart InCrease for the user/team change to take full effect.

Something to keep in mind: InCrease is just a GUI interface for the command line clients. In order for the exclusion feature (pausing while certain other apps are running) to work, the InCrease application itself needs to be running. If you don't care about this feature, you can quit InCrease and the command line clients will keep on running happily in the background.

As for the "start folding at boot time" option, it does something a little sneaky. Rather than create and install an actual startup item, it saves the following cron job:

@reboot eval `defaults read InCrease RebootCommand` &

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-26, 20:39

I installed the CLI client on my PC but when I exited out of it and opened it again, it lost all the work I had done on my first WU and started a new one. So I ditched that and instead used the graphical client, which seems to be working great.

The Mac is taking a lot longer. The PC started quite a bit later than the Mac, yet it has 101/400 done on the protein. The Mac is only up to 92/400. The protein they're working on is p112_p678_L939_K12M. Where do you look up those proteins? Because mine seems to be taking forever.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-26, 20:48

Project stats with credit values and deadlines:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

HUGE page with project descriptions and images:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/allprojects
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-26, 20:54

You will find that p112_p678_L939_K12M is actually p1124_p678_L939_K12M or p1125_p678_L939_K12M. It is a known mislabel of a protein.

If you look in the logs when it commences it will have the correct protein located in there (I think it is labeled parameters).

It is a Tinker, which are supposedly slow on Macs. I have only got them on my work PC (1.6Ghz), and from memory about 20 minutes per frame

For project summary:

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-26, 21:28

Here's another good link for protein info
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-26, 21:35

Speaking of Tinker vs. Gromacs, if you are running the InCrease program, be sure in the preferences you have the client option "-advmethods" enabled. This increases the likelihood of getting the Gromacs proteins that process much quicker.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-26, 22:04

My PC (AMD 2400+, runs at 2.0 GHz) is doing frames in about 5 minutes. The Mac (1.33 GHz) is taking 20 minutes. If I were to get the graphical client for OS X, would I be able to select an option to increase the chances of getting Gromacs? Or do I have to use InCrease? I'm not Terminal-phobic at all, but excessive tinkering with stuff like this gives me a headache.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-26, 22:08

I have just gotten into work, and it was 12, not 20 as stated above..

As for the GUI version there is no option about what you can choose
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-26, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Seems like you guys are having a lot of fun with this, so I have decided to add my rev. a 12" PB to your worthy cause. Let the folding begin!
How's your first fold going?

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-09-26, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
How's your first fold going?

5.25% done. But Im not running my laptop straight time. It will be a slow process but its kind of addicting in a weird way. But Im hooked, so Im in it for the long haul.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-27, 21:50

Anyone folded protein 295 on a mac?

I am looking at about 2 hours per percentage on my 667 TiBook, or about 8 days of folding.

It is worth 234 points.......

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-27, 22:02

Quote:
Actually, I just finished two of them. It took them about a week and a half on my dual 500 (one on each processor).
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-27, 22:09

So I AM in the ballpark!

Just went to the forums and saw that a 2.4Ghz Celeron was taking about 55 mins/% so I guess it is not too bad.

And BIG POINTS for the team Brad!

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-09-27, 22:11

Well, we've now got the ungodly power of my G3 iMac furiously folding. We'll be in the top 10 in no time!
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-27, 22:23

That'll definitely rock us into the Top 1200! Nice! :P

Meanwhile, I ordered a G5 2.5 this morning and it should be folding for the team within 10 days.
Quagmire
meh

2004-09-27, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
That'll definitely rock us into the Top 1200! Nice! :P

Meanwhile, I ordered a G5 2.5 this morning and it should be folding for the team within 10 days.

Has apple solved the delay problem with the 2.5 Ghz G5's?

PS: I am at 49.6% on my first protein.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-09-27, 22:45

Man we are going to kick so much ass. Everyone will be like, wtf, where did they come from?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-09-27, 23:30

Quote:

I am looking at about 2 hours per percentage on my 667 TiBook, or about 8 days of folding.
Working on one with my 1 GHz Albook... seems like 1-1.5 hrs/percent on mine. Haven't been letting it work on it continuously, so dunno when it'll be done.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-09-27, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Has apple solved the delay problem with the 2.5 Ghz G5's?
I'm guessing that they have.
I called my reseller(PowerMax) last Friday and they said that they had recently received a huge shipment from Apple that took care of almost all of their backorders.

On Friday, the guy said "10-14 days" and today he said, "Can you wait a week?", so I'm just waiting for the machine to arrive, then they'll ding my credit card.

Can't wait to finally use FCE on my 23".
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-09-28, 00:47

Quote:

It is worth 234 points.......
i just folded two also...took forever it seemed...did one (295), said "thank f@ck that is done...took forever", when i notice i was now doing 295p...shit...but lots of points for doing them....jumped me into the top 10 and have lots of points for only 13 WU

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-09-28, 15:27

shit...just gave me another 295p version...but on my iBook that i don't plan to leave on all the time...wonder how long this will take to fold?

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-28, 16:06

Yikes! On an iBook? I seem to recall that Gromacs makes good use of the AltiVec unit on the G4. So, I'd put it at about a month.

Wait... D'oh! I guess that depends on whether your iBook is of the G3 or G4 variety.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-09-28, 16:23

I'm in!
Better late than never...
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-09-30, 20:17

Nice to see you made the stats (as well as cyrusmekon)

I sent an email to Jason of EOC to see if we can get out team members listed, but we have to wait a few more days as the magic number is top 1000.

I am also only 35% in for my p295. My poor Ti is not liking it one bit.

Quagmire
meh

2004-09-30, 20:31

Welcome FFL. I am at 76.8% done. I will have to keep Pmac on all night to catch up with folding.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-30, 21:28

My Mac is FINALLY getting around to completing its first work unit. It has about 30 frames left, out of 400. The PC meanwhile has completed two work units and has about 90 frames left on its third. The unit is a complex one and it's obviously not optimized well for the G4.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-30, 23:33

Killer!

Like the Chiefs, we rock.

Owns, OWWNNNS!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-01, 10:13

Damnit, my placement is slipping. Just got passed by someone with fewer WUs and will probably get passed again. WTF? How come my WU don't get me the puntos? AFAIK I have the pref set to allow both simple and not simple downloads.

...into the light of a dark black night.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-10-01, 21:33

It's looks like those 4 p928's that autodata had (91 pts. each) moved him past you.
It doesn't help that you've worked on 5 p568's - a whopping 23 pts each!

Hang in there. Our team is currently at 1106 and although out inertia is slowing a bit, my new dual 2.5Ghz should arrive next week and give us a good boost.