Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The applenova folding team!
Page 9 of 62 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-05, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
I should have my dual 2.5 by Thursday. That will fold 24/7 except when I need to edit audio/video.
Why stop then?

InCrease or a simple execution of the "renice" command can set the clients to the lowest priority so they won't affect anything else performance-wise. On my tower, I leave it folding 24/7, even when rendering 3D, editing video, or playing games. Everything else runs smoothly as the folding automatically takes a temporary back seat.

Thanks, Mac OS X, for your awesome thread scheduler!!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-10-05, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Why stop then?
That's true, I guess there's no reason to stop.
I'm running InCrease on my dual gig at work and it doesn't seem to affect my audio editing.

Thanks for the mind nudge.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-10-05, 03:15

NosferaDrew,

Not that I don't want to see you take this team to new heights... but building a folding farm, while uber-cool, would gobble up power like nobody's business.

But on a lighter note... if only they would creat a threaded client for clusters... I'd so setup a OpenMosix cluster just for the task... (did one as a school project... it was fun.)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-10-05, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
Not that I don't want to see you take this team to new heights... but building a folding farm, while uber-cool, would gobble up power like nobody's business.
That is why you plug it into the neighbours house, or run it at work
EmC

2004-10-05, 05:49

We cracked the top 1000 sometime overnight.

Congrats to everyone. Let's keep it up.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-10-05, 12:54

Yay. We get a better summary page. I might be able to do something better with the info box on the homepage.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-05, 13:10

Anyone know if it's possible to run F@h from a USB keychain drive? I just got one for free from my school and I tried downloading and running Folding from it, but it ended up putting all the data in the User folder anyway. Is it possible to set it up so I can run it from the flash drive and not have to worry about leaving partially-completed work units on every computer I use? I spend a fair amount of time in computer labs and I want to know how I can make the most of it.

While I'm at it, I should also install the Windows version and run that as well. I'm on PCs about as often as Macs when I'm using the campus computer labs.
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-05, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
In your logs it should have something like:
Code:
[02:56:18] - Preparing to get new work unit... [02:56:18] + Attempting to get work packet [02:56:18] - Connecting to assignment server [02:56:19] - Successful: assigned to (171.67.89.152).
Though this is when you get the packet - I assume it attempts to send it back to the same server.

When a WU shuts down you should get something like this:

Code:
[02:55:00] Completed 500000 out of 500000 steps (100) [02:55:00] Writing final coordinates. [02:55:01] Past main M.D. loop [02:56:01] [02:56:01] Finished Work Unit: [02:56:01] - Reading up to 1025520 from "work/wudata_04.arc": Read 1025520 [02:56:01] - Reading up to 0 from "work/wudata_04.xtc": Read 0 [02:56:01] goefile size: 0 [02:56:01] logfile size: 29434 [02:56:01] Leaving Run [02:56:05] - Writing 1063678 bytes of core data to disk... [02:56:05] ... Done. [02:56:05] - Shutting down core [02:56:05] [02:56:05] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FINISHED_UNIT [02:56:10] CoreStatus = 64 (100) [02:56:10] Sending work to server [02:56:10] + Attempting to send results [02:56:14] + Results successfully sent [02:56:14] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home. [02:56:14] + Number of Units Completed: 24
Ok, I am stupid. How do you get to my logs? After 48 hours of completing my first protein I am still not on there.

giggity
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-10-05, 15:46

If you are on the GUI you can use the icon in the dock to bring up the logs (click and hold routine for menu).

Alternately you can go into your User library and you should find a folder named Folding@Home. Inside will be a text file called FAHlog.txt which is what you need to look at.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-05, 16:00

I can only find the log that has my current protein. Not the first one.
¡Damned!

2004-10-05, 16:19

Hey Quag, I think you might have your client set up wrong. I just did a search at Stanford for 'Undertaker' & 'undertaker' (names are case sensitive) and came up with squat. You might be folding for Team AN anonymously.

What client are you using?

So it goes.
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-05, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Hey Quag, I think you might have your client set up wrong. I just did a search at Stanford for 'Undertaker' & 'undertaker' (names are case sensitive) and came up with squat. You might be folding for Team AN anonymously.

What client are you using?
Graphical Client.
¡Damned!

2004-10-05, 18:03

Well, it's near impossible to not get that going right....

I'd say to wait another day. If your stats don't update by tomorrow then there's something wonky going on with your setup.

So it goes.
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-05, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Well, it's near impossible to not get that going right....

I'd say to wait another day. If your stats don't update by tomorrow then there's something wonky going on with your setup.

Maybe I am that anynomous dude with 23 points with 1 wu. But, I someone said they got 63 points on that same protein I folded. Or does the point thing work differently.

giggity
¡Damned!

2004-10-05, 18:44

Nope. Yours was worth 63 points alright, so you couldn't be anonymous...
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-10-05, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
NosferaDrew,

Well, that setup isn't the most efficient way to do it, but it's a nice picture.

You can set up a folding farm with one PSU for two mobos, and use USB flash drives instead of traditional HDs.

I've got a friend who generates power via a solar rig at his house and the city actually buys the power from him when he generates more than he needs.
That's something to look into.
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-05, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Nope. Yours was worth 63 points alright, so you couldn't be anonymous...
Ok, so if something is wrong with my setup, how do I fix it and get the server to see I am completed it and post it.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-10-05, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Anyone know if it's possible to run F@h from a USB keychain drive?
Yes, but it should be at least 64MB:
Quote:
For all those of you running F@H from USB drives:

The new upcoming (for Macs) version 5, can create very large (by old standards) work files. I am running v.5 on several PeeCees here and am seeing several 4 mb files and one 22 mb file in the work folder. Combined with the cores and other various work files, this is adding up to about 35 mb, making it impossible to run v.5 on a USB drive of less than 64 mb size, with the "bigpackets" option turned on.

Be forewarned! If F@H runs out of disk space while it is running, it will flush all the work that has been completed and try to get another work unit from Stanford. I have three work units running from a 256 mb drive and am seeing 105 mb used.
Here's how to do it, according to Plutronics from Team Mac OS X Forums:
Quote:
16 MB (Note, Luca that this was posted before version 5 came out) should be big enough , just don't put anything else on it. We ran a couple of tests on speed and USB 1.1 didn't slow folding down at all. even a fast hard drive with 50 MB/s transfer rates will slow to a crawl when writing Small files , in the 4KB to 16 KB range. I would also suggest reformatting the pen drive to Mac format. PC format will work in a Mac just fine , but it is slowed down by the Mac to PC conversions. so the step by step using InCrease would be:

Change the preferences to add the -oneunit flag and hit apply
stop and restart folding for the -oneunit flag to take effect.
When the current WU finishes , it will send up the WU and stop.
drag the folder named CPU1 from " *(myusername)/library/increase/ " to the pen drive icon and release it to copy it there.
from InCrease Preferences , push " Browse " and select * " (pen_drive_name) / CPU1 / client.cfg " *and hit OPEN.
back in InCrease Prefs , just above the Browse button you should see the pen drive path , if not , hit the arrow and select the pen drive path from the list.
remember to remove the -oneunit flag , hit apply , hit start and you are Folding !
I just checked four of my Pen drives ( 10 CPU# folders on them ) and all were less than 11 MB.
Don't hesitate to ask for help , It's what we do !
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2004-10-06, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Ok, so if something is wrong with my setup, how do I fix it and get the server to see I am completed it and post it.
At the top of your log does it have the correct team number? Also on your display it should have the team number as well.

The servers had a complete brain fart a few days ago but it sounds like they have fixed it so your results should have come through by now.....

In the location of the FAHlog are there any past logs floating about? I know the PC version keeps a back-log but I am not too sure about the mac version. You might have to go into the FAH forum and ask the question to see if it was received at all. Though they might want to know the server, and that is where it will get nasty.

Also g, have you had any luck on the sending of those WU? Have you restarted the client at all? Though in saying this I would hate for you to restart the client and for you to lose the finished WU's.

And for those that care the fast URL for our team is:

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/teamstats/team39160.html

I have contacted Jason and he is going to be updating the EOC site as well so we can see our team user data as well.

And welcome kretara

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Last edited by _Ω_ : 2004-10-06 at 14:21.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-06, 11:56

Those directions are really, really confusing. It doesn't say what to do with the InCrease app or the CLI app, it just assumes you have both installed or something... I am lost.

Okay, I am now using a computer with no Folding@home installed anywhere. I don't have the CLI, I don't have InCrease, I don't have any saved work units, I just want to run it from a pen drive so I can move it from computer to computer and periodically put in some time. How do I do it?
jimdad

2004-10-06, 13:15

I've joined ........I think
Can someone reassure me that the program ( i think i d/loaded the graphical) automatically takes lowest priority?
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-06, 14:02

Still not there. There is something wrong. I am on my second protein and it is taking longer to get done then my last one. Instead of 10% per day, I get now 2% a day. I am folding this protein p112_p678_L939_.

giggity
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-06, 14:24

Quote:
Still not there. There is something wrong. I am on my second protein and it is taking longer to get done then my last one. Instead of 10% per day, I get now 2% a day. I am folding this protein p112_p678_L939_.
Thats the same one I am folding right now. Just be patient. Im only getting ~.50% every hour on my rev.a 12"PB. It will finish eventually (I hope).
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-06, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Thats the same one I am folding right now. Just be patient. Im only getting ~.50% every hour on my rev.a 12"PB. It will finish eventually (I hope).
I am being patient. I have calculated that I will be finished in 33 days with this protein. I am just mad that my first protein hasn't been recorded yet on their servers.

giggity
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-06, 14:30

You guys are crazy. I wouldn't let F&H anywhere near my laptop. Desktops are one thing, but I'm not about to max a laptop out at 100% CPU for hours on end.

Trust me, your 3 or 4 protiens folded in the next few months isn't going to help the cause enough to risk it.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-10-06, 14:30

Ah, i see. Sorry for the confusion. 33 days you say. Wow, I didnt realize it was that long. Seems like I have only been folding this one for a week.

Murbot: I think you are right. I am going to stop once Im done this one; I dont want to let it all go to waste.

Last edited by onlyafterdark : 2004-10-06 at 14:37.
¡Damned!

2004-10-06, 14:38

Quote:
You've got yourself a TINKER. Be prepared to sit on this one for awhile.
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-06, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
You guys are crazy. I wouldn't let F&H anywhere near my laptop. Desktops are one thing, but I'm not about to max a laptop out at 100% CPU for hours on end.

Trust me, your 3 or 4 protiens folded in the next few months isn't going to help the cause enough to risk it.

I am also not letting folding touch my 12" pbook. I am folding on a 400 Mhz Pmac G4
EmC

2004-10-06, 15:37

Hey you guys! Our user stats are now up over at extremeoverclockers.

link
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2004-10-06, 19:14

Thats pretty sweet.