Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Flock: The Social Web Browser

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flock: The Social Web Browser
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-13, 18:12

I downloaded Flock awhile back but only cranked it up today and eGADS is this thing looking like the ultimate blogging/socialnetworking tool..... it's ready to link into and work effortlessly with a great big list of different websites. I gave it a spin on uploading a photo to Flickr and it did a great job, so I'm digging it right now.... are any of you folks using it and what do you think of it so far? I love the way it works....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-10-13, 19:37

Tried it recently, and although i found it to be good, I prefer and am using Camino.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-13, 21:48

I'm going to play with it for awhile with all my social websites to see how it goes...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-02-21, 07:27

Okay, I'm back with an opinion of Flock.

I like it a lot.

The social networking thing is pretty cool.
For instance, in the recent thread about the lunar eclipse I was looking at everyone's photos and as I moved my mouse over one of Ghoti's images (which turned out to be hosted on Flickr) the Flock browser magically made a drop-down menu slide out on the top of that photo that allowed me to 'View Stream', 'Blog' or 'E-mail'. When I clicked on 'View Stream' option the Flock browser's unique "Media Bar" slid open at the top of the page, giving me a horizontally scrolling view to Ghoti's Flickr stream.

That same Media Bar lets you look at people's YouTube feeds, their Facebook photos, Photobucket photos and so on. You can add your favorite feeds to the Media Bar and it will update as your bookmarked friend's feeds are updated.

It has a built-in photo uploader for Flickr and Facebook and it allows you to create blog entries for blogger and wordpress and live journal and so on.

It's riding on top of the Mozilla engine, so I'm able to use some of my fave plug-ins.

It hangs less than Firefox (for reasons that elude me, but make me happy).

For now I'm using it as my main browser.

Are any of you now using Flock now?

Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-02-21, 07:42

No. I have this amazing thing called an OS, with so-called applications, that I can run in parallel and choose and install to my liking. When I want to upload images to Flickr, I run the Flickr Uploadr.

*has zero understanding for bloated solve-problems-that-don't-exist apps*
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-02-21, 11:08

I know somebody who uses Flock on an ancient PBG4 because he says it's much faster and eats less memory than other Gecko-based browsers (i.e., not bloated at all). I looked at Flock, thought it was neat, but went back to my old browser quickly because I wasn't using any of the features.

If you don't use an application for organizing your pictures, the Flickr upload is a good idea, but for users of iPhoto/LightRoom/etc, there are plugins that export the metadata and make much more sense. Likewise with browsing my pictures, you could have just clicked on the pictures, because it was linked to the photo page on Flickr.

Flock just doesn't offer a lot of interesting functionality on top of what you can find in other programs - but for people who want to have it all in one program, it's probably a good choice.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-02-21, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
I know somebody who uses Flock on an ancient PBG4 because he says it's much faster and eats less memory than other Gecko-based browsers (i.e., not bloated at all).

Placebo effect on duty?

Flock uses the same underpinnings as Firefox. Gecko, Necko, XUL, whathaveyou. It simply adds more features.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-02-21, 15:02

I understand your point Chucker and it's a fair one. In this case I'm enjoying how my various social circles can be slightly tamed within one interface. The Accounts & Services tab is plenty keen, though the implementation of some of the features is hard to understand.

The user interface still needs improvement.
Still, it's great that there are so many options out there.

I'm honestly not sure how long I'll be using Flock.... I'm the same guy who thought he'd never leave Shiira once Brad showed it to me.

The fact that Flock is exTREMEly less beachball-prone than Firefox is a plus in my particular case.

Again, if you haven't tried it you should give it a whirl.

Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

2008-02-21, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I understand your point Chucker and it's a fair one. [..] Again, if you haven't tried it you should give it a whirl.
Hey, to each their own. It's just not my way of working. I like have one app per context, and I consider image acquisition/management/publishing a wholly separate task from browsing the Web. I honestly rather go in the direction of "have an extra app for e-mail" than "integrate e-mail and everything into the browser".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-02-21, 16:44

So is Flock just another Mozilla browser that is more customized that Firefox? If so, can it use Firefox's extensions?

I'm not really in to social networking sites, but I do use a few occasionally.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-02-21, 17:56

bizarre double post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-02-21, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I honestly rather go in the direction of "have an extra app for e-mail" than "integrate e-mail and everything into the browser".
This is generally my approach as well, but as site data goes from mashup to puree I believe that we'll find ourselves using apps that blend data from various sources, often at one common location. Maybe not a browser, possibly not Flock, but something that isn't entirely unlike Flock. The smart kids have already told us that our data usage will begin to blur the lines between apps and that's what I'm experimenting with right now.

I'm curious to find out if Flock lets me tackle my social sharing at one single intersection. (note that I've found the Flickr uploader to be a helpful tool in certain situations, but generally prefer stronger tools).

Captain Drew on Twitter
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-02-21, 19:53

Since i last posted here about browsers, I am still using iCab and OmniWeb.
But have found myself using Webkit nightlies a lot recently.
Anthem

2008-02-21, 21:09

Yeah, I'm using Flock exclusively on my Mac. It's not QUITE as polished as Firefox, and has a couple weird quirks, but the features make up for it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-02-22, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The social networking thing is pretty cool.
Admit It: Social Networking Sucks Balls

So Drew, what is it?

Boomerangmacuser

2008-02-22, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post

Buuuusted!
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-02-22, 10:43

Was he drinking when he posted that?