Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Distracted Social Driving Dumbness

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Distracted Social Driving Dumbness
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-20, 14:32

So, our state (Idaho) is the latest to jump on the "hands free" driving kick which is expected to "save the children" from social-media addicted folks driving about with their phone in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other.

Today, I saw this and it makes me laugh. Perhaps more studies need to be done before we create laws?

Seriously, it appears that the laws being put in place may actually increase the risk of accidents, rather than decrease them.

Whoops!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-20, 15:22

Makes sense to me. It's also one of my biggest peeves about Tesla — everything's a touchscreen without haptics. Stuff that used to be muscle memory like setting the AC suddenly becomes something for which you need to take a look, if however brief, at the screen.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-20, 15:37

Yeah, the second biggest thing that keeps me from even considering a Tesla is that stupid screen. I like my '07 Tundra with its big ol' knobs and dials.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-03-20, 19:50

Agreed, way to many cars with uselessly large screens. I'm driving, not watching a movie. The only data I actually need to see while driving are my speed and fuel level, everything else is just a distraction. That's what I liked about the old monochrome screens for radios, far less flashy and distracting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-21, 11:38

I feel like we are becoming increasingly like dogs, easily distracted to "squirrel". Less focussed, less attentive, more about the "me and now". It's bad news, man.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-21, 12:34

What's troubling is that in just over a short decade we've become a culture full of people who think they need this shit. No...you want it. There's a difference.

Operating a vehicle is serious business, and way too many people no longer seem to grasp this simple, indisputable fact. And those who want to rely on fallible, miss-the-point tech instead of truly focusing on the task at hand, as we all did prior to 2007...congrats, you're officially part of the problem. Kindly GFY.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-21, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
need this shit. No...you want it.
I don't need it, and I don't want it!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-21, 20:19

The only additions I like on newer cars are the controls on the steering wheel, so I don't need to look away to change radio stations or the climate control settings. It's all down to muscle memory now.

As for need vs want, I think we can say that about a lot of things, not just the extra useless crap in our cars.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-21, 20:39

I have to say I love having a CarPlay receiver in my family mover. I plug my phone in and stuff it in a cubby under the dash. If I need to do something I don't have to think about it. I don't get how voice controls equate to bad reaction times, but I also have my phone on Do Not Disturb while driving so I don't get much in the way of distractions.

When music is playing I end up using my watch to control it. Normally with my nose too since my other hand is on the wheel. Or I throw caution to the wind and play games like Minecraft Earth or Lemmings while driving.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
murbot
Hoonigan

2020-03-30, 23:12

I fucking hate displays. I could do everything in my last truck with my eyes closed. In my wife's Honda CRV you can't even turn the heat up without looking at a fucking screen and hitting the exact pixel required.

The vehicle is a few years old and we've already had the motherfuckin' display replaced under warranty. Would be a couple grand if not for that. This cocksucker will be sold by next year, mark my words.

Guess I have to look at old fucking used vehicles to replace this fucking piece of shit.

Fuck tech.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-31, 11:44

Glad to see you're feeling okay, Murbot.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-31, 12:07

The newer transmissions can also be troublesome in some cases. All these fancy 8+ speed, dual clutch things are bound to have expensive long term issues, that and they are throwing turbos into everything, which means expensive to fix. My parents made sure they got a 2014 CRV, last model year without a CVT transmission, because it was the last one that could be towed without a trailer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 12:26

I think the days of hanging out with your buddies, drinking beer, opening your hood under a tree and working on your own car are winding down. You need a laptop and 1-2 engineers out there with you. A friend has a fairly new Subaru*(?) something-or-other and when you open the hood, it looks like a prop from some sci-fi TV show (just white-ish "panels", vs. anything looking like an engine or typical under-the-hood equipment). Nothing looks "wrench-able" or like a normal, mechanic-savvy human could do anything with it. You break down on the side of the road with this and you're at the mercy of AAA, Subaru "support" or (hopefully) a somewhat-nearby dealership.

Doesn't look like the kind of thing you'd pull out your little roadside tool kit from the trunk and check cables, hoses, bolts, etc. like you might've done 10-15 years ago.

Basically looks like a Macbook...sleek/futuristic, welded shut, probably can't fix/replace anything yourself.

*Not 100% sure the brand, but something small SUV/large station wagon-y and ~2018; with a handful of exceptions, cars all kinda look alike to me anymore...might be a Volvo or Saab, hell I don't know
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-31, 12:31

It's a Subarota, or a Toyotaroo. They share a lot of tech these days. Super reliable, too, and no you can't fix nothing in there.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-31, 12:42

Yes, modular parts is the way the industry is going. Great for manufactures, bad for customers. I'm no vehicle technician, and simply don't have the tools or space to do that work anyway, but at least I can change oil, rotate tires and stuff if need be.

In many ways the move to electric vehicles solves many of the vehicle engine repair problems we are talking about right now, since they have far fewer moving parts.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-31, 13:12

But more computers, which may or may not be easy to replace/cheap repairs.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-31, 13:39

All modern cars are full of computers and have been for the last 15-20 years, so not much change there. If anything they have fewer computers, since there are less parts for them to manage. Since the 90's computers have controlled everything from value times to the hydrophilic pressure applied to the brakes, none of that will be changing any time soon. Unless you are driving a pre-OBD equipped vehicle (pre-1993 IIRC) then your car is full of computer chips and regulated parts, and if you drive a luxury car from the 1981 or later it likely is full of pre-OBD computers.
alexawiliams784

2020-04-22, 13:27

I dont use social media. They are totally dumb.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-22, 14:26

Oh boy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-22, 14:27

You know there isn't going to be a link edited into the post in the next couple of hours right? I mean, a username with two words and three numbers in it? Never a spammer. I'm just glad Brad took the numbers out of my name a long time ago. Otherwise everyone might still think I'm a spammer.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-22, 14:33

You are a spammer, Turtle. I should ban you!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-22, 14:37

Wait a minute..,
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-22, 14:38

Uh, oh. 2 words and, um, 2.5 numbers. Scates is out, too!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-23, 07:36

That's funny! I totally missed that.