User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Apple displays..is it a good time to buy??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple displays..is it a good time to buy??
djmasters

2006-06-05, 17:15

I am curious if it is a good time to purchase a Apple display, as i need to make more of a desktop setup using my powerbook. I really would like to get a 23inch HD cinema display, but they haven't changed much recently and I am wondering if they will be updated soon.

Any advice would be appreicated guys and gals
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-05, 17:18

FYI, it was quietly updated on 3/28...

Nobody really knows whether they'll care to update it, though. Speaking of which, has it fixed pink hue as well? Nobody said anything about this...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-05, 17:23

If you can deal with the mediocre (but hardly bad or even annoying) design of Dell equivalents, get them. Much cheaper.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-05, 17:52

It's never really a good time to buy an Apple display. They're very overpriced and the only advantage they have is that their exterior design is pretty nice. The screens themselves are really no different from the much cheaper Dell displays.

As an added bonus, Dell monitors have lots of extra inputs. Both Apple and Dell have DVI, but Dell also has VGA, S-video, and composite video so you can connect multiple devices (computers, DVD players, video game systems, etc) at the same time to the same display.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-06-06, 00:11

I would not say it is a good time to buy. The last price drop was last fall, and the price of the 20" display was untouched. I'm sure they'll hit $499/$999/$1,999 eventually.

I would be willing to pay a premium for an Apple-designed display, but the current prices are ridiculous. Get a Dell, dude.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2006-06-06, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Get a Dell, dude.
Is it normal that that phrase sends a shiver up my spine?
djmasters

2006-06-06, 03:44

Thank guys, the only reason I was considering the Apple display is due to the educational discount available, although admittedly they still aren't cheap
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-06-06, 11:43

Its a little old, but maybe take a look at this article:
http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/revi...hlcd/index.php
funduk

2006-06-06, 16:18

I recently bought a 20" cinema and I couldn't be happier, I got the applecare with it and everything for $999 (student discount) and it is beautiful, I don't think I would have been happy with some fugly dell plastic on my desk.