Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Google Spreadsheets

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google Spreadsheets
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-06-06, 21:11

I signed up to use the new Google Spreadsheets and just got the email. I went to use it and this is what I got in Safari:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Spreadsheets
This web browser is not supported.
We're sorry, but it looks like you're running a web browser that doesn't work with Google Spreadsheets yet.
Google Spreadsheets currently supports:
IE 6.0+
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7+ Download Firefox
Mozilla 1.7.12+
Netscape 7.2, 8.0
Camino 1.0+
I'm going to try it in Firefox as soon as I get a chance, but I don't have the time now.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-06-06, 22:38

It sucks that Safari is not supported. Isn't it like that for the Google Calendar as well? <-- I could be wrong.

Just checked.. Yeah, it is the same for the Calendar as well.

Deal with it.
that guy

2006-06-06, 23:19

Very interesting given that google uses a combination of MACs and PCs in their office environment.

If you ever watch a news report on the firm, employees always appear to be using Macs
digitalAngel

Send a message via AIM to digitalAngel Send a message via Yahoo to digitalAngel  
2006-06-06, 23:34

i still come across many websites that don't work correctly with safari.. lame!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-06, 23:40

Hmmm.... I think it may be rooted in the fact that Netscape and Firefox uses Gecko engine, while IE uses its own properitarty engine (?), leaving webkit browsers such as Safari in a minority of minority, hence poor delayed support?

Can web monkeys confirm this?

Last edited by Banana : 2006-06-06 at 23:46.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-06-06, 23:44

No. I'm sure they've got a specific compatibility order they go in. When gmail first came out, Safari support took a bit of time. I'm sure they're working up to it. I have a hard time believing they'd leave Safari users out in the cold - with more money than God, they've got no excuse!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-06, 23:46

That's what I was thinking- Just that Safari being webkit pretty much means that they'll be a little slow on the uptake. Ahh, edited my post.
digitaldave

2006-06-07, 02:16

Browser dependency is my one big problem with the Google services . There's some great stuff coming out of their labs (several of which I'm using), but I guess they develop for the largest market possible, which is IE and FF.

I've looked at other browsers, but so far, no one browser is perfect for me . I guess I'll have to keep FF on hand for now.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-07, 02:22

You know, Camino works just as well as Firefox for Google stuff, and it's a lot nicer to use.
digitaldave

2006-06-07, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You know, Camino works just as well as Firefox for Google stuff, and it's a lot nicer to use.
Indeed it does . However, there's a few things missing in Camino at the moment that mean I still prefer Safari. It's only very small things, such as making use of the system wide spell checking, and getting links that usually open new windows to open in a new tab instead (and before anyone says it, Camitool's single window mode doesn't do the same thing, it makes the links over ride the current window, ). But I believe some of my issues are being addressed in the 1.0.2 release, so I will look again when it's updated.
beardedmacuser

2006-06-07, 04:53

I use Safari nowadays because I can sync my bookmarks easily between home and work; but when I first tried Safari back when 10.3 came out I went to the Apple home page and it wouldn't display properly (it was fine in Firefox)! I thought if even Apple can't make Safari-friendly web pages then why should anyone bother with Safari? Although things are much better now...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-07, 09:14

Camino bugs me too. Performance seems to be significantly worse with things like window resizing and scrolling, and the text entry fields are awful (not just the lack of spell check, but the blinking cursor gets thrown all over the screen if you scroll while a text field is active). There's no address bar autofill and no way to enable it (even CamiTools doesn't seem to work for more than a few minutes), and as I've mentioned before, it refuses to access cached files that have since been deleted from their respective servers but that are still visible in the browser.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-07, 09:32

I'm starting to get tired of Googles' inability to create good user interfaces.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-07, 09:42

Where are you even finding this Google Spreadsheet thing? I can't find it anywhere on Google's site.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-07, 09:45

spreadsheet.google.com

or

spreadsheets.google.com

or

www.google.com/googlespreadsheets/

from

labs.google.com

Though, I never got an email about it after signing up. Maybe the tryout is now closed.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-07, 09:54

Hah. I picked all the wrong ones: google.com/spreadsheets, google.com/spreadsheet, google.com/sheet, google.com/sheets.

However, google.com/googlespreadsheets does not work.

Thanks Brad.
autodata
hustlin

2006-06-07, 13:29

I played with Google Spreadsheets and it's pretty basic. No graphing feature and the excel import is spotty. There are probably some good uses for it, but considering its features and the fact that there are a number of other good online spreadsheet apps, it doesn't seem remotely as revolutionary as Google Calendar, IMHO.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-07, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
However, google.com/googlespreadsheets does not work.
Weird. It worked last night. I guess since it's just Day Two they're still sorting things out.

Oh, and I finally got my invite.