Working Out – And Suffering

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Working Out – And Suffering
Page 3 of 9 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-28, 12:05

So what you all are saying is I should really focus on the "cut" phase right now to get where I actually want to be.
Keep working out but less strength training and more cardio activities.

I do weigh (almost) every day first thing in the morning wearing the same thing. While I do see what my weight is, I spend most of my time looking at my 1mo/6mo trend line because of the fluctuations in weight that are normal. My heaviest since lockdown was 199.1# with BMI at 29.4 September 2nd.

Now I'm down to 188 with BMI at 27.9. My muscle mass is up too according to my scale.

I don't mind the idea of tracking my calorie intake, but I run into the challenge of who can I trust with my data? MyFitnessPal was bought by an investment firm. I'm a product to them so I'm not sure I can trust them though I used them in the past.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-01-29, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So what you all are saying is I should really focus on the "cut" phase right now to get where I actually want to be.
Keep working out but less strength training and more cardio activities.
Pretty much that, unfortunately. I haven't found any good recommendation on how long a cut vs bulk phase should be other than that they usually last at least a few months and otherwise it's up to you to decide how long you want to take it.

Quote:
I do weigh (almost) every day first thing in the morning wearing the same thing. While I do see what my weight is, I spend most of my time looking at my 1mo/6mo trend line because of the fluctuations in weight that are normal.
Exactly! I was about to suggest doing something just like this. That's what my wife and I do; we each weigh-in first thing in the morning before getting dressed.

If you can track it in an app that allows you to see a rolling average or trend line and if you can convince yourself not to obsess over daily fluctuations, the best way to track weight accurately is to use the scale every day at a consistent time in your routine. Then the average/trend will show a much truer representation of your "real" weight over time since it can even out the noisy highs and lows of water (and bowel, let's not forget! ) retention.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-29, 01:47

APBYW

Always
Poop
Before
You
Weigh

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-29, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
A video I watched yesterday confirmed a thought I had almost a year ago when I started this: Don't look at your weight every day! It can fluctuate a pound or two from day to day just from water retention alone.
Well, what you can do is use an app like Happy Scale. It'll take fluctuations into account by calculating a moving average and trying to figure out a trend.

Doesn't hurt to collect more data.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-29, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Doesn't hurt to collect more data.
I'm forcing myself to not be driven by the data, though. I'm driven by a goal, and that goal is 165! While lots of data can help some people, I'll just obsess over it (like most people) so it is better to just check once per week. My overall trend is downward, although I did have a 4-month spell where my weight was bouncing back and forth around 180. It took me a bit to figure out why (I was eating a maintenance diet for that weight and didn't even realize it).

All that in mind, I use the scale, the mirror, and the handful of fat I can grab with my hands as my references. When all three convince me that I've hit my target, I'll adjust back the other way.

But the data! Oh, the data. The data is like the donut!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-29, 11:48

So get a fancy scale and let it manage the data for you.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-29, 12:02

Nah. I enter my weight in Lose It! every Monday, and that's good enough for me.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 11:50

So, I weighed in this morning at 171. That's another 2 pounds gone last week! This "cutting" phase is working quite well, and I am now 6 pounds from my goal. I'm concerned, though, because the last bit of belly fat is still there and not going away (visually speaking), which leads me to wonder if I'm burning off muscle because I'm not lifting.

Any thoughts from you guys?

I know that unused muscle mass can get snipped off, but I'm feeding my body quite a lot of protein. So, I'm not sure what to make of it. It sure looks like there is 5 pounds of fat on that sucker, and I can still get the same quantity balled up in my hands.

Still, I can see hitting my goal by the end of February (at least as far as target weight is concerned), and that makes me super happy. I've decided that, no matter what, when I hit 165 I'm going to A) celebrate with a very nice meal and a donut, and B) shift to bulking.

*Sigh*

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-01, 15:02

They make shop-vacs that I hear can help!

I have no idea outside of that. I know I'm going to have work to get my belly fat off too. Really though, what man doesn't?

I will say that cutting has not been easy for me. Normally I can just do it and be done...feeling perpetually hungry though it tough.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 15:23

Quote:
feeling perpetually hungry though it tough.
No doubt. It's the hardest thing about it. I've been hungry for almost a year (tough 1st-world hunger, too! ) I figure that once I get through this rough bit, though, I'll be able to "eat" again.

By the way, this weekend I experimented and made protein pancakes for the whole family. We did three batches in three flavors (chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter; I liked vanilla the best), and boy do I like them! Healthy pancakes, who knew!

Here's the recipe for those who want to try:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup protein powder
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 TSP baking soda
1/2 TSP salt

1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1TBSP honey
2 TBSP olive oil

Thoroughly blend dry ingredients. Add milk and egg, mix well. Blend in honey. Add olive oil and mix. Cook on a flat griddle at 350 until golden brown-ish.

This recipe is from a family recipe that my wife and I have worked on for some time. We now substitute 1TBSP honey for 3TBSP sugar; olive oil for "vegetable" oil; and whole wheat flour for white flour. Not only is this more healthy, but they taste way better!

You can substitute different kinds of flour and oil, different kinds of milk, you can remove the salt and/or honey altogether (if you like bland things), and you can increase the honey to sweeten them up a bit (although I find that ruins the flavor).

Keep in mind that burying these things in syrup defeats the purpose, since syrup will contain as many calories as the pancakes, if not more. I'm eating them this week just plain to add some healthy carbs/protein that don't taste like fluff. Also, I have been experimenting with PB2 and PB Fit (peanut powder) and that stuff tastes just like peanut butter, but has a third the calories. I mix mine up and then mix in a little honey. Spread it on a protein pancake and yum-a-dee-yum!

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-01 at 16:17.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-02-01, 20:33

If you want a really easy protein pancake recipe, I use Kodiak Cakes from Costco. You can get them online too. I just do the powder, couple eggs, and water. Sometimes I'll mash in a banana and add blueberries. Sugar free syrup and you're good to go. And they are so good.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 23:31

Yeah, we keep Kodiak Cakes in our camper during the summer. I do the same thing, but use milk instead of water.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-02, 17:39

Well, I'm still learning. Apparently, weight liftting is important for losing stubborn fat. The big takeaway is that you will either be burning fat or building muscle, depending on your diet. Since I am trying to burn fat, next week I am going to re-incorporate weight lifting, but not for strength training. Rather, I will do it to improve my calorie deficit and improve fat burning.

Makes sense.

By the way, I've learned a lot from that guy.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-02, 21:34

Never believe anyone who claims they can "spot reduce" or "target" something like belly fat. They're selling snake oil. I didn't watch any farther after reading the (clickbait?) title of that video. That's not to suggest he may not have anything else useful to add — there is often good advice mixed in with the bad, and I suspect people are often just parroting misinformation they learned and never questioned — but do be wary of bro science.

Your body metabolizes calories from its stores of fat cells relatively equally across your body. Generally the last place you gained fat will be the first place you lose it, and the first place you gained it will be the last place you lose it, because that's how it was easiest for your body to store the fat in he first place. Biology tends to take the path of least resistance here; this whole process is trying to conserve energy after all. The unfortunate truth (which doesn't sell well) is that it doesn't really matter if you exercise your core or glutes or whatever or do a thousand crunches a day. It's all just "calories in calories out" when it comes to fat loss. Training a specific area of the body may strengthen and build muscle there, which can contribute to a healthier look and is still increasing the "calories out" part of the equation, but it doesn't really make your body choose to prioritize the fat cells in that area.

It might also help to think about what "burning fat" really means at a physical/chemical level. A fat molecule stores energy in a chain of hydrogen and carbon atoms (the "hydrocarbons" you've probably head many times), and the process of breaking that chain bonds the carbon and hydrogen atoms with the oxygen from the air you breath to produce… carbon dioxide and water! Yep. You literally breathe out most of the mass (~80%) from lost fat, and you pass the remaining water as urine, respiration, or perspiration. When you are in a calorie deficit, whether by under eating or over exercising, your endocrine system adjusts hormones so that fat molecules start breaking down, get carried through your blood stream, and usually finish decomposing and converting to other molecules in the liver. This process is pulling molecules from throughout your body, and that's why the fat comes off relatively evenly across the body, despite any "targeting" hype from trainers across the globe.

(This chemistry explanation is a little simplified and skips a few reactions, but I think the gist of it is still accurately represented.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-02, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Never believe anyone who claims they can "spot reduce" or "target" something like belly fat. They're selling snake oil. I didn't watch any farther after reading the (clickbait?) title of that video.
Well, I hate to call you on this one, but the dude says precisely the opposite—that you cannot target belly fat—23 seconds into the video. The entire point of the video is exactly that. Yes, it's a click-bait title, but this guy never once tries to convince anyone that you can do so. He goes into detail about how the body burns fat from all over, but that belly fat is just among the last to go. So, the emphaisis of the video is on proper diet, calorie deficit (including fasting), and weight-training to further burn off glycogen stores so that your body will metabolize stored fat from all over, eventually leading to reduced belly fat. Basically, he says that you have to work through all of the other fat before you can truly target those stubborn remains on the midriff.

In other words, Brad, he says exactly what you just said.

Which is why I linked the video, by the way.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-02 at 23:43.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-03, 19:39

Well, I'll be damned. I went back and watched the video, and I guess I'll allow this.

(But at least I was right about the title being total clickbait!)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-03, 19:51

You know, sometimes click-bait is helpful. People are looking for snake oil, and sometimes it's best for them to click that link and learn that the snake oil isn't all that. I watched a video from another guy (Jeremy Ethier) who cited a bunch of evidence that fat can be "targeted" (if only because it is close-proximity to the muscles in use, bu the results were sketchy at best. Anyway, I clicked the link because that belly junk is really the last thing in my way and I'm looking for everything I can learn to speed the process. I had intentionally quit lifting because I don't want to be wasting my effort, and as it turns out I shouldn't have, or at least I should have continued but also more drastically cut my diet while doing so. The muscle wasn't going on (although it is hardening up) because I was only eating at maintenance level. So, I wasn't losing any weight, nor was I gaining any muscle. Now, I know that I can continue to work out—hard— knowing that I will continue to deplete my fat reserves before I head back the other way.

I just have to find the motivation and energy to get back at it. The energy is hard, because I am at such a significant deficit that I don't even want to roll out of bed right now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-05, 13:38

So I'm still doing my weights and decided to go ahead and track my food. I went with Lost it since it seems to be the best for privacy based on what I'm reading. I used to use MyFitnessPal but can't use them now that it's owned by a random fund/investment group.

I'm at least going to be real about the food I eat. I will know if I'm eating too much or not enough... as though that would be a problem.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-05, 14:18

Tracking food is tough, sometimes. I've been at it long enough that I've built up a database, but restaurant food is hard to track since you kind of have to guess a lot. I only eat out once/week, but even then it's not easy. Still, I've started fasting on date night (the night I take the wife out) so I can pig out and not lose any ground.

And my eating habits have changed enough at this point that I'm not even sure I need Lose It and longer.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-05, 14:24

I "never" eat out. By that I mean it is so rare that I get food that didn't come from the grocery store that I don't know how much of a challenge that would be. Even then when it does happen it is almost always the same basic fast food burger like thing that is pretty standard across the board.

For me it is more with the snacking and such. I mean, it is only one handful. Now if I'm logging it I have to actually indicate how much I ate. It makes it less appealing to eat it. I've tracked before and it really helps. When I stopped tracking though, that is when I gained again. No "accountability" on portion size and content.

I don't know that I'll always track, but it might be once I'm at my goal that I track if my weight goes back up to a certain point.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-05, 14:55

There are lots of low-calorie snacks that help out a lot. Some things I've discovered and like:

Ghirardelli 86% Intense Dark chocolate bars - 1 piece is usually about 60 calories, and yum-yum.
Smartfood popcorn - 1 cup = 50 calories
Pickles - pretty much 0 calories

Those have become my favorites.

And don't forget to load up on protein at about .7g/lb of body weight (if you want to grow muscle). I have a drink in the morning and one at snack time (about 3pm) which gets about 50g of protein into my diet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-05, 14:58

I'm not looking to grow muscle yet. I'm more interested in getting out of the overweight range. At least I'm not obese anymore. I never thought of myself as obese and tried to convince myself I wasn't. However, the numbers didn't lie and I used to be obese.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-05, 15:23

"My Net Diary" is the app my wife uses. I've been using "Fat Secret" (good app, awful name). I used to use MyFitnessPal years ago when I had a free membership though a previous employer, but after it expired, I very quickly became frustrated by their aggressive marketing garbage.

Its become far less common for me to get takeout and I can't remember the last time I actually sat down to dine inside a restaurant, but I got into the habit of just finding a rough guess equivalent from the app's catalog the first time I get something pre-made. On the second time, I make myself go through the effort of looking up the nutrition facts to create a new catalog entry myself or I try to build a "recipe" of what I think are equivalent ingredients.

I used to eat a lot from this local family-owned Mediterranean restaurant, for example. They were small enough not to be required to post their nutrition facts. So, one day I took a careful look at my favorite order, mentally (and nearly physically) dissected it, and plugged in what I believed to be the ingredients to a custom recipe I could reuse with one tap. One 10" flour tortilla, a serving of feta and mozzarella, a serving of rotisserie chicken, a serving of pesto, and a serving of olive oil. Never had to think about it again after that!

I still get take-out a couple times a month from my favorite Venezuelan restaurant, though. They make arepas to die for. They're also a local family-owned operation and have no facts posted. In their case, I took a more scientific approach. One day when I got home with my order, I pulled out a spare plate and actually dissected my meal and used the food scale to understand what I was eating. Originally this was with the intent of trying to cook my own at home, but after numerous lackluster attempts, I resigned myself to failure and decided to just keep paying them instead. On the bright side, I got some very precise inputs for my tracker app, and I learned that (at least in my massive sample size of two) that their line cooks are very consistent in their preparation.

Being consistent with tracking is a constant struggle, but I've been doing it for a few years now, and at this point I've just ingrained it as part of my routine. It's never not at least a mild nuisance, though.

When looking for low-cal snacks, another thing to think about is the effective satiety of what you're eating. Simple carbs feel great at first, but they'll lead to an insulin spike and leave you hungry again in a relatively short time. Complex carbs like whole-grain brown rice and especially foods high in fiber will leaving you feeling full for much longer. Protein and fat are also excellent for satiety, but keep in mind that gram-for-gram fat carries twice as many calories as protein. I find a serving of greek yogurt to be an excellent snack in that category. On the veggies side, my wife likes a snack of baby carrots with hummus which is also well balanced with protein, fat, and fiber.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-05, 15:36

Now that I'm looking at logging everything I thought about my wine. I make my own wine and have no idea of the nutritional value of it. I mean, I know what kind of apple juice I use but what is the value after it ferments for a while? I did the math and know that for each bottle there is about 142.7 calories from sugar alone because I do sweeten as a conclusion of the production. I just have no idea what the rest of the content is.

I'd like to think I could figure it out... but my initial searches are actually not revealing much. Like, is there any fiber left in it since I clear the wine as part of the process? Does the alcohol itself factor in?

On the bright side, by the time I get done working through this I won't have to again. Just note the volume consumed.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-05, 15:57

A glass of wine is 70-100 calories, and most of that is from the alcohol. Keep in mind that alcohol impedes fat burning, so limit to no more than a glass/day and factor it into your daily intake. If you are adding sugar, just figure out how many calories are in the sugar you are adding and then divide that according to the size of glass you drink.

I've pretty much stopped drinking during the week (except on date night), and have dropped from 5 or 6 on Friday evening to 2.

But the goal is the goal!

Also, don't worry about every single calorie. I shoot for an average of 1700/day, but if I get 1900 or 1500 it doesn't matter since I'm aiming at a weekly target, not a daily one.

Edit: At my calorie level, I can take in 11900 per week and have a 1400 calorie/week deficit. Add in exercise and I can trim that down below 3000 or more on the week, which is roughly 1 pound plus.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-05 at 16:45.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-05, 16:41

Same here on the alcohol. No booze Sun-Thursday, Friday and Saturday are now 2 or maybe 3 drinks rather than 5 or 6.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-02-05, 19:52

Dropped 10.3lbs this week to get down to 196.9lbs. My lowest weight since probably my junior year in high school circa 2000. I drank a bunch of bourbon Tuesday, a bunch of high % beers Wednesday, and fried chicken and bagels last night. Tacos tonight and beers/bourbon. You can eat and drink whatever you want, you just gotta put in the work.

So far in 5 days this month, I've done 295 minutes and 103.33 miles on my Peloton as well as lifting.

You got this shit fellas! Keep it up!

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-06, 12:38

Awesome job, Yontsey!

Of all the threads I've started on this forum, this has turned out to be my favorite. I love seeing all of this progress together!

This past year has taught me to concern myself with those things that I can directly control. I can't control ideological quarterbacks, I can't control the weather, and I can't control my neighbors idiocy. BUT! I can control what I eat, how much I work out, how far I walk, when I get out of bed, what I wear, and how I treat others.

Thank you for taking the journey, guys. It's been hard fun!

Keep working hard, guys! We got this.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-08, 12:33

So, this morning I weighed in at 169.8. I don't even remember the last time I was under 170. Probably back in my mountain biking days, which would be 1994 or earlier. I mean, that's 26 years!

When I started this project I was 195, and my 5-year high was 198. Going from that starting point back in late March I'm down 25 pounds. Pretty happy about that, but I still have work to do.

On that note, I had ceased lifting back on January 14 in an unwise attempt to improve weight loss, which ultimately was a mistake. I should have kept lifting, but just cut my calorie intake by 10% or so. Instead, I actually lost ground as far as muscle conditioning is concerned. This morning I started lifting again and man did it hurt. Not only was it painful, but I had to step back the weight for several routines. Clearly, my muscles got weaker.

I consider this a lesson learned. If you're lifting and trying to lose weight cut out some carbs, but DO NOT STOP LIFTING! I think I misinterpreted a video I watched and only learned of it in the last week or so.

Anyway, I'm back at it, but with the same calorie intake I've been on for the last three weeks, excepting that I'll have some berries and a protein pancake before I lift. Even then, I'm beginning my workday with a calorie deficit of -101!

And boy am I hungry!

I have an updated schedule:

M/W/F

- Berries and protein pancake
- 1.5 hours of lifting, pushups, sit-ups, and crunches
- Oatmeal, vitamins, and a protein drink laced with cherry concentrate

T/TH

- 4 mile walk @ ~4mph ( )
- Oatmeal, vitamins, and a protein drink laced with cherry concentrate

The workout burns roughly 550 calories while I'm taking in about 450;

The walk burns roughly 270 calories while I'm taking in about 300.

That means I should have around -350 calories/week just from the exercise, even with food.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-08 at 15:23.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-08, 13:53

Wow. I'm glad you're getting where you want to be! Pretty awesome actually.

I'm only doing about 30 minutes a day. Some days more, but weights M/W/F and running/HIIT/etc... every other day. Normally all around 30 minutes or a little more. Never less than 30 a day though.

Now that I'm tracking my food (even my Ice Breakers mints) I can tell you I've cut HARD. I mean, starving but still getting enough protein and basics. I've just cut out about everything that was junk. I'm eating more stuff that grew out of the ground than I have in a VERY long time. It does help that Mrs T is really into this too. She is doing well too I might add.

I'm also seeing my body fat % drop as well as my strength go up. I'm not pushing for major gains on the weights, just noticing I can increase the weight a little. For now I'm going to hold with what I have. I am going to get with my friend who is a personal trainer and ask about adding at least two more days of weights to my routine. He really pushed to make it an easy to follow plan, but now that I'm not actually going anywhere and workout at home I easily can do more weight days.