AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple displays...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple displays...
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-18, 12:30

I was aware that the handhelds had much higher pixel densities, but hadn’t really thought about how Apple was handling laptop resolutions. I wonder if the OS is capable of addressing the sub pixels in the native display’s array in order to aid scaling/smoothing ? Seems weird to accept a scaled resolution natively, unless they feel the pitch has become so fine that it’s not perceptible to most people.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-18, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I wonder if the OS is capable of addressing the sub pixels in the native display’s array in order to aid scaling/smoothing ? Seems weird to accept a scaled resolution natively, unless they feel the pitch has become so fine that it’s not perceptible to most people.
Subpixel rendering of text is gone, chiefly because in the age of GPU-accelerated backgrounds, they would've had to move that entire implementation to the GPU.

Given that they've opted not to do that, I imagine that they haven't bothered trying to optimize towards the subpixel layout in their downsampling algorithm.