AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Workplace

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Workplace
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-08-27, 08:16

The theme for this month is Workplace.

We do enough of it that's for sure. The building, the office, the desk, the vehicle, the tools, the satisfaction, the crap. However you like, shots for this theme should show something about your daily work (or study) or workplace in any detail you wish.

The rules are as usual. Entries welcome and encouraged from any and all 'Novians, regardless of whether you have participated in the challenge previously. All entries must be taken during the period of the challenge itself. No heavy editing or photoshopping. Entries will be accepted until the end of the day (11.59 PM - North American Pacific Time), Sunday, September 30, 2012.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-08-27, 13:51

This could be tough, right now my work is photography. I could always come up with a creative gear shot, since I know how much many of the photographers around here love gear.
¡Damned!

2012-08-27, 18:09

You think you have it bad? I have to figure out how to shoot my glossy iMac screen while my avatar is mining sand.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-28, 18:45

I have my new Mac mini set up at work now so here is my current set up. I just snapped it with my iPhone so I'm going to try to get a nicer shot later. There is something taking up every inch of computer desktop space, I had to move it off screen though because of client privacy and server security reasons.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-08-28 at 18:55.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-08-29, 02:59

Yeeeaahhh! Nice screens there turtle. Look forward to an update if you can.

Re all sorts of other considerations (e.g., confidentiality, non-Office Space type work) ... I thought about some of them before choosing the PCT subject but, in my ultimate wisdom, thought that these could be dealt with in a number of ways by adjusting how the subject is approached.

Snap, post, bust, move.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2012-09-02, 11:07

Here's a placeholder shot until I find the opportunity for a picture of my workplace (a rather boring office).

Some background info: We had difficult months in my last project, fighting tough deadlines. One colleague (Stefan) was real quick in bug fixing, so we jokingly declared, he's in "Superman mode" whenever he had a good run with his fixes. A colleague from another department which took over the inofficial role of "team motivator" once surprised us with a superman cake.
The above shot is Stefan showing me a picture of the cake (as I wasn't in the office on that day) on a team dinner to celebrate the end of the project.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2012-09-07, 13:57

As my previous entry probably doesn't really qualify as 'workplace' shot (although the background of the picture on the iPhone is my desk), here's my real entry for this contest:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-09-17, 06:38

Have been neglecting the thread. Two good ones, GSpotter. For the purpose of the thread, they both work perfectly. I will consider the second one the entry unless I hear otherwise.

Come on guys, and gals! Enough slacking! And Chinney, where are you??!!
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-09-28, 03:25

Bumpity-bump!

Last year I moved from a 1970s bomb shelter, to the 21st century, for better and for worse.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-10-01, 03:03

I hope I'm on time here. If I've calculated the time difference between Paris and PST correctly, I shot the photo on time (this morning in Paris) but didn't get it submitted in time (had to drive car to car park after using it this weekend).

I figure I've got the the building, the office, the desk, the tools, the satisfaction (feet up!), and the crap (feet up). So just missing the vehicle.

I'm self-employed, which made this a bit harder (easier, surely?) for me.

Your place looks a little more swank than mine, AWR. What's the "worse" bit?
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-10-01, 04:22

Of course you're in, DG. Nice shot!

As has become custom, this PCT will stay open for another week; same time, September 7. Come on guys.

"The worse" would include the location, now at a "busy" intersection rather than tucked in a small forest (I'll put up a shot of how busy it is outside and you can decide whether this should be on the list); windows don't open so can't hear the birds or the rain; and while nice is nice sometimes, I'm more of a relaxed type. In the old spot, my unit of 40 essentially worked alone. Here, working with a few hundred other colleagues, there is more pressure to wear a suit and tie, which I avoid when I can still, but which I never had to do in the old building.

Last edited by AWR : 2012-10-01 at 05:46.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-10-01, 04:51

Could you keep it down please!!!! The busyness out my window.

AWR
Veteran Member

2012-10-10, 10:59

The gavel comes down on this PCT! [Smack]

The jury is scheduled to reconvene on Monday to announce its decision.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-10-29, 16:08

So... who won?
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-10-31, 05:48

Thanks for all of the entries.

After careful consideration, Dorian Gray is deemed the winner of this here PCT. I like the spontaneity and whistle as you work sensibility.

I also like both of GSpotter's, the first exhibiting both of these qualities, the second showing some roll up the mental sleeves stuff. Honorable Mention.

Over to you DG.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-11-12, 15:02

Hello! And thanks for this dubious honour, AWR.

A new challenge will (finally) be going up shortly…

That looks seriously busy outside your office!