User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Mad Men" series on AMC...anyone see premiere episode?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Mad Men" series on AMC...anyone see premiere episode?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-20, 19:59

They've hyped the living hell out of this show the past month (which usually sets off my "uh-oh" alarms), but I watched an encore showing of the opening episode and it's quite enjoyable. It's set back in about 1960 or so, about advertising execs in New York City. The clothes, hair and attitudes are a hoot. Everyone smokes, even a doctor while examining a patient. It's definitely a man's world, but the reviews and articles I'm reading are praising it for its accuracy in that regard, as well as the attention to detail in terms of wardrobe, furnishings and props, hair and makeup, etc.

It's from one of the executive producers of "The Sopranos", so it's got that same mix of drama and darkish comedy...you cringe as you chuckle in places. Just funny to get a look into the workplace and personal relationships from that era (post-Beaver Cleaver innocence, but pre-latter 60's hippiedom, when everything went irreversibly bonkers).

Anyway, if you're interested in something a bit different in style or tone, with some good writing and interesting characters, check it out. On AMC, Thursdays at 10:00pm I believe. And reruns throughout the week, I imagine.

No sense in writing a bunch. You can get better, more complete info here if you're interested:

http://media.amctv.com/originals/madmen
faust

2007-07-21, 15:46

Its sitting on my DVR, hope to watch it tonight.